cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV Issue with RDK-03117 - December 30, 2022

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Last Thursday, I had Rogers Ignite TV & Internet installed by a technician. We were coming off of the old legacy Digital system that has been rock-solid for us for many years and was pretty much being forced to move our services to Ignite.

We currently have 4 new Ignite boxes throughout our home. The new Ignite XB7 modem is in bridge mode and is connected to our Asus AX86U router. Speed/WiFi strength throughout our home is great!... Anywhere from 700 to as low as 300 in the far corners of our home.

Disclaimer... I know this issue has been discussed before, but those were older posts and I decided to create a new post for December 2022.  

On Wednesday night of this week, we noticed that one of our boxes was blacking out and then gave us the RDK-03117 error message screen. At this point, the box was paralyzed and we had to unplug it and reboot the box. The box then after rebooting worked again. The following day (yesterday), the box repeated the same RDK-03117 error message screen. We followed the same steps by unplugging the box... But after 15 to 30 minutes, we continued to get the same RDK-03117 error message screen. Please note that this issue is ONLY happening to 1 of our 4 boxes... The other 3 boxes are working without issue. When the RDK-03117 error message screen comes up on the 1 box, ALL of the 3 boxes are working fine. Furthermore, when this happens ALL of our Wifi clients are working fine without disruption. This is ONLY happening with 1 of the Rogers Ignite TV boxes.

I contacted Rogers tech support and they walked us through the same troubleshooting procedures... check your connections, unplug the box, they rebooted the modem, they "zapped" the boxes... But we still continue to have this issue. They sent a technician that same day yesterday, and he replaced that 1 box with a new box. While he was testing the new box, he encountered an issue where the screen blacked out. Then he tested the apps like Netflix and YouTube, which all worked fine, but he could not get the TV channels to work at first. The channels then eventually came back. He was unsure what was causing this issue and spent time in his truck with Rogers back-end support. He then came back to say that Rogers has opened a case/ticket to investigate this issue and to NOT call tech support for 24/48 hours??? As they have a case opened and are investigating our issue.

Before he left, he performed several Wifi signal tests and confirmed that the Wifi signal strength was good. By the box where the issue was happening, the Wifi signal was getting 500 there, so definitely not an issue with signal strength.

As I've been typing this post, the Ignite TV box just threw another RDK-03117 error message screen. And to add salt to the wound, we just received an automated call from Rogers stating that the issue has been resolved! Our issue has NOT been resolved and it continues to throw that RDK-03117 error message screen. Time to call Rogers tech support again.

We are located in the Churchill Meadows area in Mississauga, in case anyone is experiencing a similar RDK-03117 error message screen. 

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ignite TV Issue with RDK-03117 - December 30, 2022

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Update…

After going down from the latest Merlin 388 to Merlin 386.5_2 and then performing a hard reset, I no longer have any wifi drop outs with my Rogers Ignite box. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Update...

After reading a few posts within this forum on the AX86U router and noticing a few members who mentioned wifi dropout issues, I decided to plug in my previous Asus AC87U router to see if the cause could be an issue with the Asus AX86U router, and voila... no more RDK-03117 error messages! 

Not sure why the Asus AX86U router is causing these wifi dropouts. For any members here who have this Asus AX86U router and are NOT experiencing any wifi dropout issues with their Rogers Ignite TV box, I would really appreciate your feedback on what settings you've applied to your router. I may be bringing this router back to exchange for a new one... and if it continues to drop the wifi to my Rogers Ignite TV box, I'll be returning this for a refund. Really disappointed if this is the case, as I was really looking forward to taking advantage of Wifi 6 and the 2.5GB port.

@Radar2000 fwiw, the AX86U has a history of wifi dropouts.  I have one and I'm disappointed by the wifi performance due to the dropouts.  I traded my original AX86U in via warranty, so, I'm on AX86U no 2 at the moment. It has improved, in terms of reduced dropouts, but, the problem is still around.  I suspect that the router simply doesn't have the range that we expect to see, and as a result, you end up with wifi dropouts.  If you run a device at a closer range, it will run all day without seeing any dropouts.  

I've been watching for changes in wifi drivers for this router and I believe that there's another updated driver in the latest Asus stock firmware version.  I'm running Merlin's Asuswrt, so, it will be a while until that driver loads with the next Merlin version. 

You could try exchanging it for a another AX86U to see it that makes any difference, and if not, simply return it.  

Are you running stock Asus or Merlin's Asuswrt?  If you're running stock Asus firmware, check the router to see if its has the latest firmware version:  Version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) (asus.com)

Asus had removed the release dates from the version page, so, can't tell you when the latest release occurred, but, it wasn't too long ago.

Here's the SmallNetBuilders page for that version release:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax86-series-rt-ax86u-rt-ax86s-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-388...

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your response @Datalink.

The Asus AX86U router is literally in the next room next to the Rogers Ignite box and was giving speeds anywhere from 300 to 700. So being close to the router was not the issue.

I was running the latest Merlin 388 firmware. I was told on the SNB forum that I should use the last known 386 firmware, as the 388 is a 0 version, whereas the 386 was a known stable version. I'm going to reset the AX86U to factory and will then load the latest Asus firmware... will then test as a baseline. Afterwards, I'll try the 386 Merlin firmware and will also test. I was also told to copy the settings from my old Asus AC87U to the AX86U. I will post my results here once I find some time to complete these tests.

If I continue to have the same dropout issues with the AX86U, I will first try for an exchange and if that continues to have issues, I'll be returning it back for a refund. 

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Update…

After going down from the latest Merlin 388 to Merlin 386.5_2 and then performing a hard reset, I no longer have any wifi drop outs with my Rogers Ignite box. 

I have been having this issue for over a month in the Newmarket area. Though I was crazy have been unplugging resetting every box and device I have. Temporary fix fir a short while and keeps happening. I’m on Ignite with 3 TV’s .
I do not know where Merlin runs or his to change it? Any suggestions? Should I call Rogers and how to avoid being told to reset ….,

@annelongmorriso  Are your devices connected directly to the Ignite Gateway or are you connecting through your own router with your Gateway in Bridge Mode?

bruce15
I've been here awhile
Exact same thing here in Ottawa Nov 23, tech says general Ontario issue … not sure if still happening for other users

Greetings @bruce15!

Do you happen to have your own router bridged to the modem? If so, please try taking your modem out of bridge mode and see if you continue to get the error. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

bruce15
I've been here awhile
I do not have any other equipment, only Roger’s supplied modem and tv boxes, problem still happening and Roger’s support tech is indicating a known issue but does not give a timeline … just seems like a poor design … I wonder if Bell would be better
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 6 in conversation