cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital cable vs Ignite

dcdanko
I plan to stick around

My condo is switching from digital cable (Netbox etc) to Ignite TV May 1st.  Is Ignite ALL delivered over the internet?  At least now when Rogers (frequent) internet down episodes occur and my Smart TV no longer gives me Netflix, I can go to cable TV and watch something.  But what happens now?  Does this also affect my wifi?  I realize I don't understand the technology and cant find any explanations of what Ignite IS (as opposed to digital cable).  Any and all explanations and answers gratefully accepted!

ddanko

**Labels Added**

dariad
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Digital cable vs Ignite

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dcdanko wrote:

My condo is switching from digital cable (Netbox etc) to Ignite TV May 1st.  Is Ignite ALL delivered over the internet?  At least now when Rogers (frequent) internet down episodes occur and my Smart TV no longer gives me Netflix, I can go to cable TV and watch something.  But what happens now?  Does this also affect my wifi?  I realize I don't understand the technology and cant find any explanations of what Ignite IS (as opposed to digital cable).  Any and all explanations and answers gratefully accepted!

Yes, Ignite TV is delivered over your Rogers Internet service and the Ignite set-top boxes typically connect over Wi-Fi.  The Ignite set-top boxes do not use coax connections.  If your either your Internet service or your in-home network is unreliable or unstable, then you will probably also experience problems with Ignite TV.

Re: Digital cable vs Ignite

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dcdanko just to add to @-G-'s comments, if you have an internet modem, Home Phone modem and one or more Nextboxes, all of those modems / Nextboxes are removed and replaced with a single modem and small set top box which can be seen here:  https://www.rogers.com/support/self-install/tv

The two set boxes that are used with the Ignite TV service is the Xi6 on the left hand side and the XiOne.  Both Xi6 and XiOne connect via wifi and ethernet.  Both of these are very small compared to the Nextbox. 

One major difference is that there is no local storage for recorded shows/movies.  All storage is online. 

The modems, Gen 1, 2 and 3 can be seen here on the left hand side of this page:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/setup-install

The modem will provide all services, internet, tv and Home Phone if you order that as well.  So, if you have trouble with the internet feed to the modem, you will lose all three services.  

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation