cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast now rolling out XB7 Gateway

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Was looking at Comcast's web site and saw that they have started to roll out the CGM4331COM / XB7 to select markets.  Specs show that the modem has a maximum data throughput of 2.5 Gbps.  On the back, the XB7-T has 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 Telephone ports.  The FCC certification docs show that it supports 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) and also has Zigbee and Bluetooth LE radios.

Does Rogers have any plans to offer the XB7 as well anytime soon?

*Added Labels*

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Comcast now rolling out XB7 Gateway

RogersMoin

Hello, -G-.

I appreciate your query;  the specs of the XB7 gateway seems astounding. At this moment, we are unable to comment on the product which has not announced yet. Please stay tuned; we will update the Community as the information becomes available.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

gp-se
I'm an advisor

I hope they launch the XB7, and they make it available to existing customers, not just new installs. I would love to get something with a bit better range as the current XB6 just barely covers my house. 

gp-se
I'm an advisor

Rogers is starting to roll out the XB7

Internet Support | Rogers

Anyone know what chipset it uses? I would love to upgrade to it, but I wont give up my Broadcom Chipset for Intel. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most likely a Technicolor CGM4331COM as seen in this DSLReports thread, although, it could be the Arris Touchstone TG4482 equivalent as well.  I don't believe there's been any new chipset developed so its either the Broadcom BCM-3390 (Technicolor) or the Intel Puma 7 (Arris).  Hard to know which version Rogers has acquired first, although maybe Rogers has both versions inhouse by now.  The chipset versions are speculation, although I can't see Arris using a Broadcom chipset, but, hey, I could be wrong.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32469291-Equip-XB7-Technicolor-CGM4331COM-Arris-TG4482-Wireless-AX...

The XB7 isn't showing up on the modem reset page yet:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/factoryresetmodem

Here's the FCC pages for the two versions:

CGM4331COM-DEV

https://fccid.io/G954331X

Arris Touchstone TG4482

https://fccid.io/UIDTG4482

Interesting to note that neither user manual seems to point out the single multi-gig ethernet port on the modem. 

Hmm if the chipset is the same then there is no need for me to "upgrade". Also the XB7 only has 4x4 on 5Ghz, compared to the XB6 which is 8x8.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gp-se wrote:

Rogers is starting to roll out the XB7

Internet Support | Rogers

Anyone know what chipset it uses? I would love to upgrade to it, but I wont give up my Broadcom Chipset for Intel. 

As with the XB6, Comcast lists two variants of the XB7:

Here's the marketing handout: xb7-fact-sheet.pdf

The Technicolor XB7 uses the BCM3390 for DOCSIS and the BCM43684 Wi-Fi 6 chipset

However, I have not been able to determine the chipsets that Arris used in their variant of the XB7

Edit: The internal photos show a number of MaxLinear chips on the cable modem area of the circuit board.  Looks like the main chips are an MxL278 SoC/cable tuner and an MxL236 upstream amplifier.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

MaxLinear bought Intel's Home Connected Division so it now owns the whole ball of wax, so to speak.  Where MaxLinear takes the Puma chipset will be interesting to see.  I'd like to see them burn it to the ground and start over with a new design altogether.  One can only hope.  Maxlinear's Cable Tuners are found in Intel's Puma 6 chipsets as well (Hitron CGN3xxxx modems).

Of note, the XB7's multi-gig port.  Looks like its capped at 2.5 Mb/s, but, it would give Rogers a path to offer higher ethernet speeds and finally compete with Bell.  You would need multi-gig ports on a router or switch in order to run 2.5 Mb/s throughout your home's ethernet network.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

MaxLinear bought Intel's Home Connected Division so it now owns the whole ball of wax, so to speak.  Where MaxLinear takes the Puma chipset will be interesting to see.  I'd like to see them burn it to the ground and start over with a new design altogether.  One can only hope.  Maxlinear's Cable Tuners are found in the Puma 6 chipsets as well (Hitron CGN3xxxx modems).  

The MxL278 dates back to 2015, so this is prior to Intel divesting its Connected Home division.  It is a D3.1 chipset but I don't know anything about it.

Of note, the XB7's multi-gig port.  Looks like its capped at 2.5 Mb/s, but, it would give Rogers a path to offer higher ethernet speeds and finally compete with Bell.  You would need multi-gig ports on a router or switch in order to run 2.5 Mb/s throughout your home's ethernet network.  

Comcast initially started rolling out the XB7 to select markets with their highest-speed tiers (> 1Gb/s) but now offer this to customers with a 300Mb/s or faster service.  I don't know whether Rogers will offer higher speeds with Ignite Internet.

2.5Gb Ethernet is kinda the "new standard"; a more affordable alternative for situations where 10GbE gear is overkill.  Some of the new Wi-Fi 6 routers and access points now have 2.5 Gb ports.  QNAP also recently started selling an affordable 2.5GbE desktop LAN switch, and others have since followed.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation