cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avast warning on ignite tv?

Lilly3
I've been here awhile

I'm getting an Avast warning on ignite tv?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Avast warning on ignite tv?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lilly3  Can you be a bit more specific?  I presume that you saw this after performing a scan with the Network Inspector.  What specific warning did you see, and did the tool propose any specific action for remediation?

Any warnings about security vulnerabilities are not good.  However, the risk profile for a set-top box is different from that of a general purpose computer that is used for running 3rd-party applications and browsing the Internet.

Lilly3
I've been here awhile
I was watching tv and the warning showed up in a red box on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I’ve never seen anything like that before. My network is secure and my computer antivirus software hasn’t picked up anything. I’m at a loss for the reason for the warning

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lilly3 wrote:
I was watching tv and the warning showed up in a red box on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I’ve never seen anything like that before. My network is secure and my computer antivirus software hasn’t picked up anything. I’m at a loss for the reason for the warning

I have never seen this before either.  Did you see this on any other TV?  What make/model of TV do you have, and were you able to dismiss the message using the Ignite Voice Remote?  Did you see any related messages in the Ignite STB Notifications?

If you ever see this again, please snap a picture of the TV screen if you can.

If this warning did come from the Ignite set-top box, I don't know what would have triggered it.  I searched for Avast on the Comcast Xfinity support site and did not see any reports of any similar warning or alerts from their customers.

Did the Avast warning go away on its own or did you need to dismiss it somehow?  If made it go away with your Ignite remote, that would certainly point to it coming from your STB.  The question is, why... and how?

If you have an Android TV, it's possible (and more likely) that the alert was displayed by your TV, and hopefully not from a malicious app or an Android app notification.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation