cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring landline number to cell phone. Is it possible?

ChrisL09
I've been around

Hope someone can help me.

For what it costs for my home phone, I'm thinking of cancelling it, however I've had the number for years. Is it possible to cancel the landline and have the number transferred to my cell phone? Not sure if it's possible, but I'm hoping so. The two lines combined don't use nearly as many minutes as is on my cell phone alone.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Transferring landline number to cell phone. Is it possible?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

just call up your cell provier, hopefully your with rogers, tell them you want to bring your home telephone number to your cell phone. there is no charge for this its called a number change with port in, its relatively fast and may take an hour on average, but up to a day to bring in.

once the number is imported to your cell, the home phone will automatically cancel itself and you do not have to do anything more, except return the equipment to the rogers plus store,  hoep this helps

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

just call up your cell provier, hopefully your with rogers, tell them you want to bring your home telephone number to your cell phone. there is no charge for this its called a number change with port in, its relatively fast and may take an hour on average, but up to a day to bring in.

once the number is imported to your cell, the home phone will automatically cancel itself and you do not have to do anything more, except return the equipment to the rogers plus store,  hoep this helps

jbird
I plan to stick around
We asked this same question when getting our cell phones and it was impossible to transfer/port our landline number. I think it has to do with the extension (not area code) but the first 3 digits after the area code. Those are dedicated lines (hard wired) whereas the cell phone numbers are all digitized. I may be incorrect in this assumption I know someone will chime in further on this.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sometimes i can deal with the # itself.

Landline specific numbers to start.. are often more locked to AREA.. This city/township uses THESE number range, etc.

Vs with cellular, you often see a MUCH wider range where that number will fit in multiple locations.

If the landline could go into the 'home' location for your cell phone, they might be able to do it.

(i know when i was moving.. i had a 2 month with no house, therefore no rogers home line. i wanted to keep the number.. and they said they could port it to a pay as you go number for the 2 months.. problem was, my home location then, was in a different number region than the old number.. therefore they were not allow to apply it.... thats at least the description given to me from MULTIPLE people there)

slushman
I've been around

We are going through this exercise right now. It's not been a fun ride so far. Here is what has happened to date:

1. I call into sales and they assured me that this transfer is very easy, takes couple hours at most to have it transfered over since its Rogers LAN to Rogers Wireless. It takes the sales person around 40 minutes to get all order in place for new wireless line with new number. He had his supervisor check his order and he assured all is well. What he was supposed to do was:

a) Activat new wireless phone with new temp number.

b) Put a transfer request in system to port LAN number to Wireless.

2. We received our phone 2 days later and got it up and running. 4 hours later I expected the transfer to be completed - but was not !!

3. I call into customer service - First I get to Home phone department, they look into it then transfer me to Wireless department, they look into it and then transfer me to customer care department, they look into it and then transfer me to another department ( sorry cannot remembr name at this point as I lost track). After 30 min of "looking into it" while I am hold, its discovered that the port request is not even in the system.

4. So I request to put the request in system...So they put me on hold agian and 15 min after I get disconnected !!

5. So I call back, goes through 3 department  ( Do wanna acknowledge the customer care rep - She really tired her best to help me ). I finally get a technician on line who can get the ball rolling for me on this tranfer.

6. More surprise - Remember how in point 1 above I was assured by the sale guy that its all seamless and will be done in 2 hours ...blah blah blah !!!...All wrong ------ It can take anywhere from 1 day to 10 may be 15 days.

So after over another 55 min on phone...There is a request in place to port my ROGERS LAN to ROGERS Wireless.

At this point, I am not sure if it will happen at all. I might get a call after 10 days saying sorry sir your number cannot be ported---Or worse noone will call me and I will have to follow up and spend another 45 min on phone to get same answer.

All this time, I know a friend of mine got Bell LAN line transfered over to Rogers wireless on the spot and all was done in 15min.

So not sure where to go from here. Very close to cancelling this new wirless line and just go across the street to new provider.

Porting (at least across carries) can be hit and miss.. as to how long it can take 😞 depends on factors from both this sides.

My wife did hers when switching from Bell.. was 15mins.  My mother in law just did it two weeks ago.. took over 2 days.

Internally.. it shouldnt take that long though.. someone really droped the ball there.

TJP1942
I plan to stick around

How would this work with a Bell home phone and a Rogers cell phone?Thks.

@TJP1942

It's actually relatively simple; at least in theory. Sometimes in practice there can be complications.

What you would do is call us at Rogers Customer Care, and advise us of your intent to port in the number. We will need your Bell Home Phone account number, and of course the number itself. We check to make sure it's eligible to be ported over and submit the request. At that point, it's basically waiting for Bell to release the number and port it over to us.

As the Tom Petty song goes, "the waiting is the hardest part" and that's honestly true. If everything goes well, the actual request can be done via a short five to ten minute phone call. It's a matter, again, of the wait afterwards.

I know this is old however I been trying to port my number to a cell phone number and its been 19 days. 5 calls and everyone on rogers end not sure if they can do this. Lastly them telling me that my ref number is linked to the number I called by.

Hello @annoyed1337,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I do not blame you at all for feeling annoyed regarding your Port-In request, especially if you've spoken to so many representatives and no one seems to be certain. =(

While I'd love to say that number porting is an easy process we do need to confirm if the number you are planning to Port-In is eligible. We'd also like to review the notes on your file to see what has been causing all of the uncertainty regarding your request. Please send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can pull up your info and get started on this for you.

If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please check out our Blog.

RogersTony

Brianmelski1
I've been here awhile

Hello, has this been solved.  I am looking to have my home phone number with Rogers ported to my cell with Rogers.  I’ve been assured it can be done but have run into roadblocks.  What do I need to suggest to the rep to make this happen?

Good evening @Brianmelski1,

Welcome to the Rogers Community!

It’s easy to transfer a number to Rogers from another provider – also called “porting.”  You can transfer your home phone number from another carrier to Rogers Wireless.

Not every number can be transferred. There are certain restrictions that may prevent a customer from transferring their number to another carrier.

For example, the number to be transferred is not active with any carrier.  If you cancel your account first, you lose control over your number, which makes the number ineligible for the transfer. If the number is cancelled, you would need to reactivate the number to regain control, which allows you to port the number.

Here is everything you need to know about porting your existing number to Rogers:

• Your number and your account must remain active with your old service provider until the port-in is completed.
    • If your number is suspended or cancelled, we can’t port it.
  • Make sure you have your information from your previous carrier.
    • From a wireless carrier, we would require your account number, PIN or password, and/or Electronic Serial Number (ESN) / International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI).
    • From a landline or Voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) carrier, we would require the service address and billing name.

Delays for Landline to Wireless:

• It usually takes about 2 business days to complete the port-in — not including weekends and statutory holidays — but it could take up to a week, depending on your old service provider and the complexity of the transfer.

What kind of "roadblocks" are you running into? We certainly want to help you resolve this situation!

RogersMaude

Hi Maude,

Thanks for responding.  It is now fixed up.  A manager at the mall store did the transfer.

brian

Topic Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 11 in conversation