cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting telephone number to Ignite home phone

philipw
I've been here awhile

When I signed up for Ignite Internet, TV and home phone I was told I would be able to port my existing POTS phone number to the Ignite home phone. The Ignite home phone came with a 343 area code number, my existing number is a 613 area code number (Ottawa, we now have two area codes). Now that I am ready to port the POTS number (still active) to the home phone, Rogers tell me they can't do it because the Ignite home phone is on a different exchange to the POTS number.

Does anyone know the rules regarding local number portability (LNP) as they pertain to my situation? If it is as simple as the phones needing to be on the same exchange, then Rogers would have known my number couldn't be ported when they told me it could.

A complication is that the phone lines are on different area codes, but as I see it, still in the same local exchange area, so I'd be surprised if number portability didn't exist.

Clarification of this frustrating situation would be appreciated.

***Edited Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Porting telephone number to Ignite home phone

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@philipw  If you had an agreement with Rogers to port your existing number, they should be able to do it.  They may need to re-provision your Home Phone service but it still should be possible, provided that your landline provider (Bell?) will allow the port.

Here is Rogers' support page for transferring phone numbers: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/transfer-your-number-to-rogers-help-support

To check whether your existing phone number can be ported, go to https://voip.ms/en/phone-numbers/canada and enter your old phone number.  If your number can be ported to voip.ms, then Rogers should be able to transfer your number as well.

Port-outs are typically done when you activate the service.  Doing it afterwards complicates the process.  With some providers, there is an additional change.

Would you also like to connect the Rogers Home Phone service to your in-home telephone wiring?  If so, before you can do that, you will first have to get a tech to disconnect the incoming Bell line from you in-home telephone wiring, then wire in your Rogers service.  If you have a monitored home alarm system, this adds additional complexity because you need to ensure that your alarm system can still seize the telephone line when it needs to call the central monitoring station.

Like I said, it is MUCH easier to do this all at once at the time of installation rather than afterwards.

philipw
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply, I did respond a couple of days ago, but it hasn't appeared in the thread, hopefully this message isn't a duplicate.

I tried the VOIP link you posted, for my number it gave me some rates, so I assume this means the number can be ported.

Given this, I'll have to give Rogers another try, however, on my two previous attempts I got different reason why they couldn't do the port, so I am not confident on success, however, maybe third time lucky.

Regarding the wiring, I can do this myself, I already tried hooking up the house wiring to the Rogers modem as a test and it worked just fine with the 343 area code number. So I only need Rogers to port my 613 number and I can redo the wiring change myself.

Castleberry
I've been around

FCC rules require simple ports, which generally do not involve more than one line or more complex adjustments to telephone switching equipment, to be processed in one business day. You may be able to use your phone within a few hours for changes among wireless service providers. However, porting from wireline to wireless service may still take a few days.

SSS101
I've been here awhile

Hi:

I recently moved from Bell Fibe (NOT DTH) but DSL to Rogers Ignite. I have a security System which was hooked to my land line from Bell. When I switched over to Rogers, I ensured that the telephone line from Rogers Modem was connected to the phone line unhooked from the Corning ADSL Pots splitter from Bell. The Security system worked fine when with the temporary number assigned by Rogers. After a few days, the Bell number was ported to Rogers Ignite and I can now use the old Bell phone number. The phones hooked up to the wall jacks are all working but the security system is no longer communicating with the security service providers system with FC error code (failed to communicate errors is flashing on the numeric key pad of the security system (ADT Safewatch Pro 3000). Why would a system which worked well with the temporary number from Rogers refuse to work with ported Bell number?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SSS101 wrote:

Why would a system which worked well with the temporary number from Rogers refuse to work with ported Bell number?

Welcome to the Community!  I can't say for sure what caused things to break.

One possibility is that Rogers changed how the eMTA on your XB6 gateway was provisioned when they completed the port of your phone number.  If this is the case, the only way to fix this is to call Rogers.  Tell them that you have a monitored home alarm system and that it can no longer communicate with the alarm company central station.  Hopefully they can tell you whether or not they made any changes on their end.  They might also be able to apply a different provisioning template that works better with your alarm system.)

Years ago, I had my alarm system connected through an ATA when I was testing compatibility with a VoIP service, and the alarm company called to inform me that my alarm was now calling in from a different telephone number.  It's possible that they may have flagged your account when they noticed the same thing.  You should call your alarm company as well to ask about that error code and let them know that you switched your telephone service from Bell to Rogers.  (Watch out.  They may try to up-sell you on a cellular backup service.)

Best of luck with getting this resolved and please keep us posted with how things go!

SSS101
I've been here awhile

Thank you G

I did call the Home Alarm monitoring company and they did ask me to call Rogers as they feel that the problem lies with Rogers. They also offered to send a technician for a fee. Being retired, I would like to avoid spending additional money when changing from Bell to Rogers. Your inputs will certainly help to discuss this with Rogers technician who will make a house call shortly.  Thank you

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation