cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting telephone line to add Rogers Home Phone service

deathwombat
I've been here awhile

The Rogers technician who set up the telephone modem for my Rogers Home Phone service cut the existing telephone line a few feet from where it enters my home. I can't figure out any technical reason why this would need to be done. Did anyone else have their telephone line cut when they switched to Rogers Home Phone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cutting telephone line to add Rogers Home Phone service

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What are some of the concequences of not disconnecting the old telephone service provider line? well first of all, you would have 2 dialtones on your line, one from your new provider (rogers) and an existing dialtone from the old provider.  Second of all, you would have cross talk, thirdly, you may not be able to make calls untill the previous dialtone is disconnected, and there is really the only way rogers can do this is by cutting the wires seperating old phone co and inside wiring,  nothing illegal they need to do it for it to WORK.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. that SHOULDNT have been done.

Usually, the bell line will come in, to some form of de-marcation box inside.  Then from there, would connect to your other lines inside.
ALL they would usually do, is disconect it from that demarc box  and attach a line from their modem to that box.

No need to do ANYTHING outside.

I would call back in, and leave a complaint.

or if you get a survey, leave info on it there.

or you can try via this form: https://www.rogers.com/web/RogersServices.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=shareAConcern

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

some older homes like mine did NOT come with a bell demarcation jack.  My incoming cable line went into the rogers telephony modem, and then went out to a jack that rogers technician installed near the hydro panel.  The only tihng rogers does differently, is tie the existing inside wiring into the rogers demarcation jack, and if your house does not have an existing demarc, thats the only logical explanation i can think of for rogers to actually cut the existing wires.   hes actually cutting the "ISW" inside wiring and connect it to the rogers demarcation hack, in your house not the existign bell wires, you probably still have a network interface box outside which belongs to bell so he is not doing anything illegal

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
just one more thing forgot to add, when people switch to Rodgers home phone they most likely want to use the existing wires and jacks in their homes, for this to work, any phone signal still on those wires from your previous company must be disconnected, the disconnection of their signal and the switch over to rogers phone signal is an actual physical change done in your house, so if you have no demarcation jack, you cant really "unplug" or disconnect the old phone companys signal, and rogers is not in the business of adding a demark on behalf of the other provider, so they are simply patching their signal into your existing wires, nothing illegal about that

deathwombat
I've been here awhile

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. They didn't cut any wires outside. The phone line was cut inside the house, near the point where it enters and provides service to every jack in the house.

Might have been not quite the BEST spot.. but yes.

they would at min, cut it or disconnect it from the central demark spot if there is one (that connects to all the jacks in the house), as to not provide feedback across the telephone line possibly.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What are some of the concequences of not disconnecting the old telephone service provider line? well first of all, you would have 2 dialtones on your line, one from your new provider (rogers) and an existing dialtone from the old provider.  Second of all, you would have cross talk, thirdly, you may not be able to make calls untill the previous dialtone is disconnected, and there is really the only way rogers can do this is by cutting the wires seperating old phone co and inside wiring,  nothing illegal they need to do it for it to WORK.

Buzadi
I've been around

My apartment phone jack must have been disconnected by Rogers when they installed a landline years ago. Now that I have had my no longer needed landline disconnected by Rogers, they refuse to acknowledge this and tell me to either have my landline reconnected or get Bell in to fix it. I have an intercom lobby system that uses the phone jack and dose not require a landline. It is not working because Rogers has disconnected it. This is so troubling that they would not fix a problem that they caused and instead try to make me pay for a service that I do not need.

Greetings and welcome to our Community @Buzadi!

If your intercom lobby system does not require a landline, then nothing our techs would normally do should have impacted the function of your internal telephone jacks. 

Technically, our Rogers Home Phone service doesn't need telephone jacks to function at all. The modem connects to a coax line and you can connect a phone directly to the modem itself.

If you haven't been using your telephone jacks in the years since we disconnected your landline, it's entirely possible they have short-circuited due to completely unrelated factors. 

Please understand that we do not actually service telephone lines because our service uses a different kind of network. If your telephone jacks aren't working, you can hire a private contractor to come in and fix them. The wiring inside your premises is your responsibility.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation