cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting home phone to Ignite Router

triggerman9
I'm here a lot

Just got the Ignite router/modem installed and the Home Phone option. The router/modem got connected to the Cable input and the ONE phone jack in my home office where my old phone was connected. How do I now connect my phone to the router so I can use it. I don't have another phone line jack. Thx

*** Edited Labels *** 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Connecting home phone to Ignite Router

if its not coded into their firmware or software then no amount of calls to customer service will enable it. the spliter will work 100% if it does not work, its a bad cable or device, but the spliter will work 100% for sure

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
They sell a phone line splitter it plugs into a phone jack and has 2 ports. in your case you can plug it into the tel1 jack on your ignite gateway then plug in two cables.

You can find them anywhere like dollor stores. Corner stores. Etc.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Or, you can call tech support and ask the Customer Service Rep to activate Tel ,2 using the same number as Tel 1.  The modem firmware is apparently designed to allow that.  The question is, do the tech support reps know how to do that?  

Thanks. I tried this and it didn't work unfortunately......

I logged in to the Router and tried to see if I could do that, but I can't.  I'll call them tomorrow and try this. Thanks!!

@triggerman9 wrote:

Thanks. I tried this and it didn't work unfortunately......

Just to clarify, @Pauly  is suggesting that you use something like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/commercial-electric-2-way-telephone-splitter-white/1000723599

That should work.  If it does not, make sure that you are not using a similar-looking gizmo that breaks a 2-line phone jack into separate individual lines.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes I strongly suggest just getting the telephone spliter. Dollar stores are deemed essential services so you can go there to get one instead of the Home Depot.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Another thing you can do is if you have wall jacks throughout your house and they are all interconnected, you can back feed the dialtone from the Rogers ignite gateway into one wall jack, and it will activate the dial tone on Every other wall jack that is daisy chained together, which usually is all of them unless you had someone do something funky with your wires in the past like have different numbers etc.

That way the Rogers modem can be out of mind out of site in a different room, and back feed the dial tone into one jack, then your office phone can plug into one jack, another phone can plug into a different jack and they can all work together

Thanks for the input. That is the one I have and tried it but it did not work.....

Interesting.  I'll see if I can do this.....however, the router also connects to the coaxial cable to a nearby junction point to the phone.....I don't have that setup anywhere else in the house.  😞

If only the second port on the router / modem device would accept a land line phone as an input...

#oldschool

if its not coded into their firmware or software then no amount of calls to customer service will enable it. the spliter will work 100% if it does not work, its a bad cable or device, but the spliter will work 100% for sure

Thanks. Your commitment of 100% it works, made me think why it wasn't....I was putting the splitter into the WALL outlet, not the router!  So when I put the splitter into the router, it works!!!

Thanks so much.

fuzzyculp
I've been around

I want reinstall my home phone

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fuzzyculp wrote:

I want reinstall my home phone

Hi, and welcome to the Community!

What problem are you experiencing with your home phone service that you need to "reinstall" it?  The wording of your post can be interpreted a few different ways; I don't know advice what to offer, especially since I don't have any information about your current situation for context.

kini_ont
I've been around

My current set up is the in-coming cable is split to a phone modem and to the internet/tv, I'd like to upgrade the system to a Hub and still have all the jacks in the house connected (able to plug the phones to any or all). These are yards away from each other so one location becomes unlikely without major work. Can I still split at the original spot and still have the phone/jacks hooked up by the modem (Arris TM602G)?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kini_ont  Where is your "phone modem" located and how/where does it connect to your in-home telephone wiring?  Also, why would this same location not be a good place for your Internet modem?  Do you also have a home alarm system that requires a telephone connection?

We can't really provide any further guidance without knowing exactly where your Internet and Home Phone modems are currently installed, why each of those specifically needs to be in the location where they currently are, and any other specific challenges / constraints associated with your current setup.

FYI, the "phone modem" usually connects in one of the following ways:

1. It is installed in the basement, next to the electrical panel, and it connects to your in-home telephone wiring through either a junction box or a punch-down block.   This is also a good location in that it is also typically where the Rogers cable enters your home, which allows you to connect your modem directly to the incoming Rogers service without the use of any splitters.  Unfortunately, the basement is also usually one of the worst places to install a modem/router from a Wi-Fi coverage perspective.
  2. It is installed in the main living space.  The modem's telephone service jack then connects to a free telephone wall jack and "back-feeds" dial tone to the other wall jacks in your home.  This is not a suitable way to hook the telephone service up if you have a home alarm system since the alarm system needs to have a way to seize the telephone line when it calls into the alarm company's central station.
  3. Another option is to install the modem in your main living space, then get a dedicated telephone cable installed from that location back to the main electrical panel.  This will allow the telephone service on the Ignite modem to feed your in-home telephone wiring from the basement and interconnect with a home alarm system, if you have one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:
  2. It is installed in the main living space.  The modem's telephone service jack then connects to a free telephone wall jack and "back-feeds" dial tone to the other wall jacks in your home.  This is not a suitable way to hook the telephone service up if you have a home alarm system since the alarm system needs to have a way to seize the telephone line when it calls into the alarm company's central station.

I just thought of the following, which I don't recall being mentioned before.  One could connect the modem/router to a wall jack anywhere in the home and then "trace" that jack cable back to the junction box/punch-down block. Then use that "traced" cable to "feed" the box/block and everything should function as it should if it was functioning before?  If, in future, you needed to move the modem/router, you would undo what you did, redo the connection to the first jack and use the new location wire to "feed" the junction box/block.  This would avoid anyone needing to run a separate phone cable.  If you don't have an alarm system, the straightforward "backfeed" method mentioned should work, or simply connect the base of a cordless phone system to the modem/router and forget about all the phone jacks in the home.

JillL
I've been around

Thanks for your help. I understand now, but I will need some professional help tracing back that phone jack wire. Too bad Rogers didin't ask me initially if I had a security system. I could have avoided a lot of this. 

alioop70
I've been here awhile
Can you report on how this worked out for you. Very few at Rogers are understanding the issue hear and I am getting so frustrated. I only wanted to upgrade my router/modem but they would not allow that. They are not willing to have Legacy Home Phone and Ignite internet and TV run concurrently. It's all or none. .

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@alioop70 wrote:
Can you report on how this worked out for you. Very few at Rogers are understanding the issue hear and I am getting so frustrated. I only wanted to upgrade my router/modem but they would not allow that. They are not willing to have Legacy Home Phone and Ignite internet and TV run concurrently. It's all or none. .

Welcome to the Community!

What is your concern about the switch from Rogers Home Phone to Ignite Home Phone?  Is there some aspect about the Legacy service that you want to keep or is it about how to install/migrate to the Ignite Home Phone service?

I switched from a Bell landline to Ignite Home Phone and I have not experienced any quality issues with the service whatsoever, and I am not currently experiencing any technical issues with the service either.

You connect your phones/in-home wiring to the Ignite gateway in the same way that you do with your current Home Phone modem.  The only complications may arise from where your equipment is located.  Things can get tricky if your Home Phone modem is located in the basement but you want your Internet modem in the main living space.  If you have a home alarm system that requires telephone connection, you also need to ensure that your telephone connection is wired in correctly and tested.

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

@alioop70 Unfortunately your frustrations are from your lack of understanding of their products and hardware. The legacy service and modem is now obsolete and is being phased out over time. This could be years but it will happen. If your modem were to fail they might be able to replace it with a used one, but they would likely use that as an opportunity to switch to over to Ignite.

In summary, at some point you will have to go the Ignite route or switch providers. There is no mixing and matching possible.

Topic Stats
  • 51 replies
  • 23 Likes
  • 12 in conversation