Connecting home phone to Ignite Router

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Connecting home phone to Ignite Router

Just got the Ignite router/modem installed and the Home Phone option. The router/modem got connected to the Cable input and the ONE phone jack in my home office where my old phone was connected. How do I now connect my phone to the router so I can use it. I don't have another phone line jack. Thx

*** Edited Labels *** 

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Connecting home phone to Ignite Router

if its not coded into their firmware or software then no amount of calls to customer service will enable it. the spliter will work 100% if it does not work, its a bad cable or device, but the spliter will work 100% for sure

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They sell a phone line splitter it plugs into a phone jack and has 2 ports. in your case you can plug it into the tel1 jack on your ignite gateway then plug in two cables.

You can find them anywhere like dollor stores. Corner stores. Etc.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Or, you can call tech support and ask the Customer Service Rep to activate Tel ,2 using the same number as Tel 1.  The modem firmware is apparently designed to allow that.  The question is, do the tech support reps know how to do that?  

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks. I tried this and it didn't work unfortunately......

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I logged in to the Router and tried to see if I could do that, but I can't.  I'll call them tomorrow and try this. Thanks!!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@triggerman9 wrote:

Thanks. I tried this and it didn't work unfortunately......

Just to clarify, @Pauly  is suggesting that you use something like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/commercial-electric-2-way-telephone-splitter-white/1000723599

That should work.  If it does not, make sure that you are not using a similar-looking gizmo that breaks a 2-line phone jack into separate individual lines.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes I strongly suggest just getting the telephone spliter. Dollar stores are deemed essential services so you can go there to get one instead of the Home Depot.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another thing you can do is if you have wall jacks throughout your house and they are all interconnected, you can back feed the dialtone from the Rogers ignite gateway into one wall jack, and it will activate the dial tone on Every other wall jack that is daisy chained together, which usually is all of them unless you had someone do something funky with your wires in the past like have different numbers etc.

That way the Rogers modem can be out of mind out of site in a different room, and back feed the dial tone into one jack, then your office phone can plug into one jack, another phone can plug into a different jack and they can all work together

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the input. That is the one I have and tried it but it did not work.....

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Interesting.  I'll see if I can do this.....however, the router also connects to the coaxial cable to a nearby junction point to the phone.....I don't have that setup anywhere else in the house.  😞

If only the second port on the router / modem device would accept a land line phone as an input...

#oldschool