cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Display not working on home phone

macmillh
I'm here a lot

Hello;

We recently moved to a number of Rogers services, including home phone.

Since we started, call display has not worked on our home phone(s). Our account indicates we should have it, but all we get on our phone display when someone calls us is "Incoming Call". No caller details. Which we used to get with our previous provider.

Any thoughts on what we might need to do?

Thanks.

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Call Display not working on home phone

macmillh
I'm here a lot

Yes, we're going to leave the base station plugged into the modem, as Call DIsplay works with that setup.

To answer your question, we use the Rogers voicemail service as part of the overall home phone we have through Rogers.

I guess this issue can be closed. Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RogersMoin

Hello, @macmillh.

Thank you for posting your Call Display concern in the Community.

I'm assuming you are on Ignite platform; how is the phone connected? Is it directly connected to the 'Tel 1' jack of the modem?

Call Display phones should be plugged directly into the phone outlet, with no answering machines, fax machines, extension cords or jack splitters between the Call Display phone and the jack. These components may prevent the Call Display information from being sent to your phone.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Hello Main;

The phone is plugged directly into the phone outlet; there is nothing in between.

Hello, @macmillh.

Thank you for your response. Is it possible to plug in your Call Display phone directly to Tel 1 jack at the back of your modem and test the Call Display function? This step can help us to isolate the issue.

Also, would you please provide the make and model of your Call Display phone?

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Hi Main;

Our phone is Panasonic, model number KX-TGD390C.

Which jack is the Tel1 jack at the back of the modem? There are 6 at the back of ours. The top left is where the phone line is plugged into... do I pull that and plug the phone jack directly in there or do I plug the phone into what looks like another phone jack on the top right of the 6?

Thanks.

Hugh

Greetings @macmillh!

The top 2 ports are for your phone.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersCorey wrote:  The top 2 ports are for your phone.

In my XB7 operating manual it says that the top right phone port is not active.  As an experiment, I plugged my phone into that top right jack and got a "double busy" signal.  I got the regular dialtone on the top left.

@macmillh : You may wish to try unplugging your phone from power for a minute and plug it back in to reboot?  Call Display and Name Display work fine on my Panasonic Cordless phones, as well as my AASTRA 390.  Perhaps something is misconfigured in your account.

macmillh
I'm here a lot

Hello 57;

I had the same experience with my phone; double busy on right port, dial tone on left. Unplugged the phone and plugged it in again and plugged the phone jack directly into the left port. Call Display worked... for about 12 hours. Then back to "Incoming call" only on display. Re-booted again and plugged it back into left port again and Call Display worked again. Moved phone back upstairs. Call Display is currently working but need to give it about 24 hours to see if it continues to do so. 

Thanks.

It appears that our Call Display works with the phone plugged directly into the modem, but when plugging the phone in upstairs into a wall jack, Call Display will work for a short period of time (after moving from being plugged into the modem and re-booted), then will stop working again and only display "Icoming Call" when someone calls.

Any thoughts?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When it doesn't work, I assume you've connected the gateway to your home jack system using a cable to "backfeed" all of the jacks in your home.  I'm guessing the phone wiring in your home has too much resistance or something which keeps the signal for the call display from going through properly.  

Unplug and replug all cables and jacks a few times and check the cabling in the home's demarcation point to ensure that all cables are secure, without oxidation and have good connections.  Since your Panasonic is cordless, why not just plug the base station into the gateway and be done with it?

The fact that it works properly when plugged into the gateway it means that Rogers has done nothing wrong and the issue is with your house' wiring.

PS.  Are you using the phone's answering machine or Rogers home phone "service"?

macmillh
I'm here a lot

Yes, we're going to leave the base station plugged into the modem, as Call DIsplay works with that setup.

To answer your question, we use the Rogers voicemail service as part of the overall home phone we have through Rogers.

I guess this issue can be closed. Thanks for all the suggestions and replies.

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation