cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My settings form ignores my date format

idallen
I plan to stick around

On this My settings page:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences:display

I set my date format to yyyy-MM-dd but the very next line has an example Absolute date in MM-dd-yyyy format, ignoring the format I just set.

iwin.png

7 REPLIES 7

Re: My settings form ignores my date format

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I also prefer the System International date format since there is no ambiguity about month and day, whereas if I see 09-07-2022, one can never be sure if that's September 7 or July 9.

I took a screenshot of my preferences and it looks as follows:

Date1Date1

When I hover over the time of the post on the right side, I do get the proper ISO date, as indicated below:

Date2Date2

So, it works for me.  I do notice that some websites or apps, etc, do not even allow for ISO dates at all, which is a huge shame due to ambiguity.

It may take a few minutes or hours for my screenshots to be approved by the mods...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When I changed it to absolute dates instead of relative, I also get the proper ISO date format - see below:

Date3Date3

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Make sure you save your preferences at the bottom of the page in Settings.  The look of the date/time may vary a bit depending on which page you're on.  Here's another screenshot:

Date4Date4

idallen
I plan to stick around

Yes, the date setting I saved applies to dates in other places.  My complaint is that THE VERY NEXT LINE in My Settings is not one of those places.  The example date should not be "e.g., 11-15-1966" it should be "e.g., 1966-11-15" otherwise it looks like my yyyy-MM-dd date format was ignored.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's an example of various date formats when you select the absolute date option, not an actual representation.  The example does not change based on your selected date format.    Rogers should spend their time fixing serious problems with the forum and their website.

idallen
I plan to stick around

UX problems are serious problems.  When faced with a UX problem, many technicians resort to explaining how the tech works rather than fixing the tech to improve the UX so that no explanation is needed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My point was that there are many more serious problems with the Rogers forum and website.  I can think of numerous issues that Rogers could spend their time on first.

In my opinion, this particular issue is one nit that doesn't really need to be picked.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation