cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum software not Chrome compatible

Hmm
I'm a reliable contributor

This forum software with all its nuances leaves a lot to be desired. The white background and light grey fonts/text are not functional and very difficult on the eyes. The only solution that works for me is to use a Chrome Extension that enables dark mode,

The other option is to use Microsoft Edge 😝. There is an inherent flaw with Chrome that worsens these fonts and background. The developers of these kinds of forums software are quite tone-deaf and seem to only test their software on Microsoft Edge and fail to accept feedback from users,much like the way Google works. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Forum software not Chrome compatible

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hmm your comment / complaints regarding the white background with light grey text were made many, many months ago.  Nothing has changed.  Any company which wishes to run a website should consult a Human Factors Engineer to properly design the colours and fonts.  Failure to do so results in sites like the Rogers website.  

Hmm
I'm a reliable contributor

@Datalink I couldn't find my previous post, otherwise I would've bumped it there.

What has changed is that Google stated that upcoming releases in 124.x Chrome versions will make some  changes to Chrome for this very reason. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hmm , you indicated that "The white background and light grey fonts/text are not functional and very difficult on the eyes.",  

My response to your comment is that other users made the same comment many months ago when the forum software was rewritten, resulting in it's current appearance.  And despite those comment from many users, nothing has changed in the forums appearance.  Fwiw, I absolutely agree with your viewpoint.  If you find that my pointing out that the same issue was commented on many months ago and you find that to be deflecting, gaslighting, and trivializing the issue, well so be it, but, that is most certainly not my intention.  My personal viewpoint is that whomever designed the forum appearance really does need to consult a Human Factors Engineer who can readily advise any web site designer on how the human eye works and how it perceives colours and fonts.  The object of the exercise is to design a web site that is easily readable for the vast majority of users, who have a wide range of eyesight abilities and limitations.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hmm wrote:  I couldn't find my previous post, otherwise I would've bumped it there.

When logged into the forum, I hovered over your username and then clicked it and found a thread from earlier this year.  (It reacts slightly differently if not logged in)

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/MyRogers-Rogers-Apps/My-Rogers-website-very-poor-performance-a...

1. In no way am I saying that people don't have difficulty in reading some websites.  But, I have no difficulty with the forum and I'm in my early 70s.  I have seen a lot worse.  And I've seen better and there is always room to improve so I'm certainly willing to help by saying "there is room for improvement".

2. Have you tried looking at this forum on different devices. It may display better on a different computer, or tablet or phone?  I use a Benq BL2400PU monitor that is almost 15 years old on my Mac Mini M2 E10 (1 year old) computer.

3. If you are using a computer monitor, have you tried adjusting the settings in a manner similar to optimizing a TV for the best picture quality.  I looked at my iPad Air 2020 (4th Gen) on Safari and see no significant difference when compared to my Mac Mini/Benq.

4. I have taken screenshots of the first post in this thread on three different browsers - Chrome, Firefox and Safari.  I see no huge differences between them, although Safari looks crisper on close examination.

5. Some people have said that the font is light grey, but to me it is a dark grey at 100% screen magnification (no magnification) and if I increase the screen magnification to say 250%, the font is black, not grey - see last screenshot below.  Perhaps increasing the screen mag will help?

6. Lastly, please don't take this the wrong way if it doesn't apply, but some people don't get their eyes tested regularly or don't wear the appropriate corrective lenses for working on a computer/tablet/phone.

7. It may take the mods a few minutes to approve the screenshots, so please be patient and wait for them before replying.

Edit - 8 The writing beside my RE signature at the bottom of my posts is definitely "soft" and needs improvement.

ChromeChrome

FirefoxFirefox

SafariSafari

Chrome250Chrome250

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Hmm You might want to give the Vivaldi web browser a try. If you only find some web pages hard to read, Vivaldi has a cool little feature called Page Actions that allows you apply CSS filters (such as Invert and Black and White) to improve readability.  It also has other convenient controls to make reading easier

It also has a setting to use Dark Mode by default, and to deal with web pages that cannot render in dark mode, there is yet another setting that allows you to "Force a dark theme on all web sites".

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation