Forum Navigation - what needs fixing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

Re: Forum Navigation - what needs fixing

@roxandtreez wrote:

@RogersRoland

Yes.  I tested it again today.  The most problematic thread is the New Navigatr thread, because it has the most activity.  If you click the description, it takes you to the first new post, but the format of the URL is incorrect with the page number in the middle.  So if you try to use the page numbers, or the prev/next you get an error message.

If you click on one of the page numbers for the thread, then the URL format is different and has the page number at the end.  Then the prev/next and page number all work.

I have previously deleted cookies and cleared the cache and the problem remains, even with different browsers.  Others on the site have reported the same problem.

Hi @roxandtreez,

The URLs differ depending on where/how you are accessing the thread/post from.

If you are opening the thread/post through our Homepage or Latest Post page, the URL will be unique to that specific post.

For example, your post's unique URL is:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/CommunityQuestions/message-id/83...

where as this whole thread's URL is

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/CommunityQuestions/thread-id/13

When and If this thread becomes multiple pages, it will generate the extra "/page/#"  afterwards. At this time, you can simple edit the # with the desired page.

Hope this clears it up.

RogersRoland

Retired Moderator

@OLDYELLR wrote:

The problem is that the forum is being constantly changed. As soon as something gets fixed, another change comes along and it's undone. Two weeks ago Message Listing didn't work and it took you back to some old page instead of the newest page. It was fixed a week ago and you could click the number in the new message column and see them. With the latest change there is no Message Listing but Back to Board, which takes you to a graphically fancier first page where threads with new messages shown in bold, but no way to find those new messages because there is no longer a new messages column.

@OLDYELLR , @roxandtreez

The old Message Listing link has now been renamed to Back to Board.

We recently changed and fixed the Message Listing function. @OLDYELLR mentioned in prior posts that using the Message Listing menu, which included the Previous Topic and Next Topic,  would sometimes results in a broken link or incorrect Board page.  With our latest update today, this has been resolved. 

I will try to see if we can implement the New Message column on as well. Stay tuned!

If you do encounter a reoccurring issue, do continue to let us know.

RogersRoland

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersRoland@OLDYELLR

As of today, "Back to Board" does not show in my navigation.  All I get is a circle and left and right arrows followed by page numbers.  Next/Prev don't show.  Is this intentional, or a by product of trying to fix the navigation.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersRoland  I understand that, and that is what causes the error message, because the links within the navigation once you open the post don't have the page number at the end, they are in the middle as in this example:

communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/page/1/thread-id/14558

Having the page 1 in the middle creates the error.

As a matter of interest, the next/prev work on this thread today with the missing text in the navigation as mentioned in an other reply.

Retired Moderator

@roxandtreez

The "Back to Board" navigation menu will appear differently depending on the size of your browser window. For example, if you are viewing it on your computer or tablet and the horizontal spacing permits, you will see the full menu with text.

breadcrumb.jpg

If you resize your window, or viewing on your mobile device, it will automatically shorten the navigation menu for you.

breadcrumb2.JPG

Also, thank you for letting us know the navigation menu is working. 

RogersRoland

I'm a Senior Advisor

@roxandtreez wrote:

@RogersRoland@OLDYELLR

As of today, "Back to Board" does not show in my navigation.  All I get is a circle and left and right arrows followed by page numbers.  Next/Prev don't show.  Is this intentional, or a by product of trying to fix the navigation.

When I reduce my zoom, as suggested by @RogersRoland, down to 50%, I still see the same thing, except really tiny. I'm using Firefox on a Windows 7 laptop. What are you using?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Retired Moderator

@OLDYELLR

Sorry, I meant to say "the size of your browser window". I fixed my previous post for clarification. 

In order to provide a uniform experience for all our users in the Community, We are testing and troubleshooting using Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome browsers Smiley Happy

I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR@RogersRoland

I'm using a 15 inch Macbook Pro and Chrome.  When I reduced my zoom from 125% to 110%, the captions re-appear.  Of course that makes the page a bit harder to read, especially with these lighter fonts that Rogers seems to love right now.  Earlier this week, they displayed at the same 125% zoom level, although when there were many pages in the thread the "back to board" text would overlap the "share" text on the bottom left.  Also, it used to "stack" the next/prev topic and the next/prev page if necessary so that there was more horizontal space, but I guess that has been changed.

By the way Roland, I said that prev/next work for this thread.  It still does not work in older threads like the Updated Navigatr thread.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Agreed on the "lighter fonts". My old eyes prefer a black font rather than this pale blue. Everything in pastel colours may be less offensive, but poor communications.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Retired Moderator

@roxandtreez

I am having trouble recreating the error you are experiencing. I am using this thread as an example: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I can safely go to the previous and next topic from there.

Can you try sending/copying the URL where you start having issues?

RogersRoland