Forum Navigation - what needs fixing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Forum Navigation - what needs fixing

@RogersRoland wrote:

Hey @jays77,

Can you provide us the exact path where the error occurs?  Maybe include a screenshot and a link?

I've done some testing on our end but was unsuccessful in reproducing the error.

RogersRoland

See post 48 of this thread. If you have your preferences set that way, you get the error message. I just tested it myself.

Retired Moderator RogersRoland
Retired Moderator

Hey @57 and @jays77,

I just enabled that setting and it is working fine for me. Can you provide a screenshot of the error message you receive? And which thread you are getting the error on?

Also, which browser? It is working fine on Chrome for myself.

RogersRoland

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A screenshot was submitted in post 43. Here it is again.

Error.png

I was able to get this error after changing my preferences as noted in post 48.  I don't normally have that enabled to avoid the issue.  I went to any thread that had a large number of pages, clicked on an early page then clicked the "next" arrow and got the error message.

The weird thing is, although it happened twice now (and twice when I posted before), I then went on to try it a third time and it didn't happen.  I then tried several more threads and again, didn't get the error.  So, perhaps it only happens once or twice?  Previous posts here seem to indicate that perhaps it doesn't always happen.  I'm using FF52.0.2 on a Mac Mini.

This has been ongoing for over a year and must be frustrating for those who surf this way.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Yes, that is the message I get.  It happens in any threads that have "New" posts.  If I go to a thread that has no "New" posts in it I don''t seem to have the problem.  I am using Internet |Explorer 11.

I know I could just stop useing the "go to first new post" feature, but I don't feel like or want to spend the time trying to remember the last post I read or in the case for large threads surfing through pages looking for the first un read post.

I do find it strange that this is the only message board I use where navigating from page to page is a proplem.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The "Next" problem has been going on for longer than I remember. Rogers has acknowledged it, but clearly nothing can be done, or so it seems.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I tried Safari 10.1 and have the same error message.  I was able to repeat the issue on every thread with more than one page by:

1. Clicking the bold thread title to take me to page 1 (not a page number)

2. Then clicking the right arrow (Next) button.

I was able to get the issue every time in both browsers.  Here are some sample threads where I got the problem, but I tried probably 10 others and the issue was repeatable.  It didn't matter if I had recently read the thread or not.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/message-uid/41724#U41724

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/message-uid/73735#U73735

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/message-uid/44846#U44846

Retired Moderator

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for providing the exact paths. I'm going to log all of this and report over to the Lithium team. Will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Oddly enough, when I goto a post from the "All Posts" page, it results in an error ONLY if I use the link from the "New" column and not the actual post's link. Quite strange.

RogersRoland

I'm a Senior Advisor

I only see this error after clicking a "new" post through notifications. That's when the "next" function does not work. The oniy way to see the next post in the thread is to click "Back to Board".

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another weird thing happens if you have "Jump to first unread post in a topic" enabled. When you post a reply, the following appears on the screen instead of being taken directly to the post.

Reply.png

This doesn't happen if you don't have "Jump to first unread post in a topic" enabled. This seems to indicate there is something totally wrong with that option.

If the option is not enabled, after I post I am taken directly to my post instead of having to click on the link (Click here to return to message) indicated in the above image. 

Retired Moderator

@57

I'm going to log this as well. That extra page is definitely not a normal occurance.

RogersRoland