Windows 10 Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade

Hello, @brandonjbarnard

It seems you definitely enjoy Windows mobile platform, would you be among the early adopters of Windows 10 for computers? I invite you to share your insights with the Community in regards to Windows 10 upgrade, thank you.

@Community – if you have any questions about upcoming Windows 10 release/upgrade, please follow the link to FAQs

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersMoin

Good Day!

Unfortunately I have not been an early adopter of Windows 10 for computer. I have however played with windows 10 mobile for about week before reverting back to 8.1

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ShakTiburon and @jimboden,

You are correct. This is the Community Lounge.

Anything goes, as long as we're all nice and acting appropriate.

Have at it boys and girls!

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

o__o finally figuring out how to post pictures just makes me throw memes. Its fun. (as long as its safe and clean of course)

I should have joined the "Insider" (The Early Bird people for Windows 10) - They got the beta, well I guess they are the beta testers.

But if you walk into a Microsoft Store, they have had the Windows 10 Demo for about a month now.
I played with it. It is still Windows (Thank god) but they weren't kidding about Windows 7 and 8.1 being merged. It really is merged and properly too, like they kept the good side of both worlds. UI is different than 7, but the features of 7 is there. UI relates more to 8.1
The TILES are gone... well, they CAN be there but not as the "START" screen.
But Big factor is, they brought back Windows Mode, instead of keeping FullScreen mode which was only good for Tablets and touch screen.. it however is still there, it just doesn't go to it unless you detach the keyboad and mouse. (Main key thing everyone is used to).

Keep in mind, Microsoft fell on its face keeping in pride that they are leading...
So they are trying to redeem themselves. I am okay with that. As long as they do it right.

Now to go find Memes to amuse myself with. hehehehehe.
I'm an Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:

I should have joined the "Insider" (The Early Bird people for Windows 10) - They got the beta, well I guess they are the beta testers.

If you have spare hardware (something not too old, not too new, and ideally nice and generic in terms of its driver requirements), then the insider program is fun - I've done the one for Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and now two machines on 10...

10 was most definitely i) the busiest, and ii) the least effort. Lots of builds released, but there was a simple automated upgrade mechanism. With the earlier beta programs, when a new build came out... you downloaded the ISO and did a clean install (probably formatting the partition too). Not this time.

But the key is having the hardware. You don't want to run it on a virtual machine, and you don't want to be dual booting one of your main computers.

Rogers Employee

Yea I wouldn't be using VM or anything.
Dedicated hardware, hmm, that would be good choice.
I guess that is easier for you since you own a MAC and a PC so you aren't without a computer in case 1 goes down?

Don't they do Insider for Laptops too? I rather run my laptop as spare because if it dies. I can just go purchase another one - Desktop I find more... sacred. o__o

I probably should think about it.
Right now, Microsoft got me in a bind... (little annoyed with them).
GamerTag can't be transfered over into a Microsoft account - Phone support did nothing to help the situation. Fun.
aaaaaaaaaand this is why I wish Google should take the lead, in Computer market soon. -- off-topic I know, so I'll leave it at that x___x
I'm an Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:
Yea I wouldn't be using VM or anything.
Dedicated hardware, hmm, that would be good choice.
I guess that is easier for you since you own a MAC and a PC so you aren't without a computer in case 1 goes down?

Don't they do Insider for Laptops too? I rather run my laptop as spare because if it dies. I can just go purchase another one - Desktop I find more... sacred. o__o

I've run the Windows 10 beta on two laptops. The previous betas I always ran on desktops. There are some advantages to desktops, namely that desktops (especially homebuilt ones) are less likely to have unorthodox hardware that needs weird drivers. But that's less of a concern now as everything in laptops has gotten commoditized...

My usual approach (and this has nothing to do with the Mac) had been to use my 'previous' desktop box as the test system for betas and leave the newer machine on the non-beta version of Windows. This time around, I happened to have two laptops floating around that made good candidates for the beta, so I ran it on those instead of a desktop.

The thing is, from my point of view, it's easy to have surplus hardware nowadays. Core 2 Duo-era systems from 2006 to 2008 are plenty good enough for most things (including testing Windows betas) and are all over the place, or, if you/your family doesn't have any, are dirt cheap to acquire used.

Rogers Employee

That's what I was thinking, I do have a Laptop that barely works but if i reformat it, run a small hard drive (I have plenty of 2.5 HDD) works good with me.
As long as I don't have a P4 processor right? LOL

🙂 Thanks for the info. Love your insights.
I'm an Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:
That's what I was thinking, I do have a Laptop that barely works but if i reformat it, run a small hard drive (I have plenty of 2.5 HDD) works good with me.
As long as I don't have a P4 processor right? LOL

🙂 Thanks for the info. Love your insights.

Nothing really wrong with a P4 for this purpose except for its catastrophic effect on your electricity bill...

IIRC, I ran some Windows 8.1 betas on a Pentium D 945 I happened to have lying around. That machine is long gone, and I would never consider anything based on Intel's 'Hotburst' (officially NetBurst) architecture given how many 45nm Core 2 Duos I have floating around, but it is perfectly fine for testing Windows betas...

Rogers Employee

@VivienM wrote:

Nothing really wrong with a P4 for this purpose except for its catastrophic effect on your electricity bill...

LOL <-- I really did laugh out loud reading that. 🙂

Surprising, but I think you know more about hardware than I can even wrap my head around.

x__x Not there yet.

Windows 10 update seems promising, but for a user like myself - I think Windows is a comfort zone. :]

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 77 replies
  • 26 Likes
  • 12 in conversation