Rogers MasterCard, New Online Banking

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers MasterCard, New Online Banking

Notepad++ can be used to open just about any file, and it can open files that are much larger than Windows Notepad will open.  With Notepad++ you will most likely see characters in the file that Windows Notepad won't display.  Some of those are formatting characters which aren't visible with Windows Notepad or Microsoft Word.  

So, if you want to see the raw file, use Notepad++.  You don't have to do anything other than open the file and close it when you're finished examining the file, or, after making any modifications to it, save it and then close the file.  

It operates like Windows Notepad, but, it has greater capabilities than Windows Notepad. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@eagerhiker wrote:

...Rogers, please repair your OFX software to remove these 3 non-compliant characters.....

FYI, the Rogers MasterCard people usually don't read these forums, so you'll probably need to contact them by phone directly or by the "I Want to send a message" after you've logged in on the MC site.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lhicks2 wrote:

Please tell me more about how Notepad can help.  I'm not a techie, so please be explicit.

The last sentence of post 57 states what to do. Until Rogers MC fixes this, you basically need to open the offending file with any text editor like notepad, remove the 3 offending characters and re-save the file.

I have a workaround: open the file in Notepad, select "save as", and in the "encoding" box select "ANSI", instead of the original "UTF-8 with BOM". This removes the 3 non-ASCII characters.

eagerhiker
I'm Here A Lot

Yes, I have sent a private message to the Rogers Mastercard people.

eagerhiker
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Datalink,

Unfortunately, neither Notepad++ nor Notepad show the offending non-ASCII characters. Upon further research, I discovered that the offending characters are called a "byte order mark", or BOM. These are often used at the start of a file, or other byte stream, that is encoded with UNICODE. However a BOM should not appear in an OFX file that explicitly indicates in its header that it is encoded as USACII.

So, as indicated in my previous reply, the simplest workaround is to open the file in Notepad, the select File --> Save As. In the resulting window, there is a box at the bottom called "Encoding:". Select ANSI. You can leave the File name as is, or change it to something else if you want to preserve the original file.  Then just click on the "Save" button.

lhicks2
I'm Here A Lot

I was informed yesterday by my contact at Rogers Bank MC that this issue (encoding) has now been fixed.  I just checked by downloading and importing my current transactions into MSMoney.  It worked, without editing the encoding.  I understand that the ampersand (&) issue still exists however.  Hopefully they'll make that fix as well.

eagerhiker
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the update. I will try it out. Please let me know when the ampersand is fixed. I think that many customers will appreciate being able to use the OFX download again with MSMoney.
Conditions
I'm Here A Lot

I started using this app to convert .csv to .ofx - Rogers isn't the only bank with MS Money transaction support issues!
https://www.propersoft.net/products/csv2ofx?utm_source=app-win&utm_campaign=about&utm_medium=CSV2OFX...