cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 35+ Years I'm Parting (Most) Ways With Rogers Soon

pmcsplaza
I'm a trusted contributor

I regretfully announce that I am giving up all my Rogers services bar the Mobile ones very soon.  I've been offered a deal I can't refuse with Bell Fibe.   Although Rogers tried to match they couldn't quite and there are other reasons too.  The main one being that I am sick and tired of all these cables running everywhere and the often intermittent nature of my Internet service which seems to go down with regularity at least once every 24 hours along with the cable TV, not always coincidentally either.

There are drawbacks to the competitor's services which I am aware of but I'm ready to give it a shot.

I'm just hoping the switch doesn't kill me as I am going to have to move several pieces of furniture in order to access the major part of the cabling and the phone modem etc.

At almost 77 and with a heart condition I don't need the fuss, but there's that old saying "it's never too late"....so here goes (on the 21st).

Peter
Toronto
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: After 35+ Years I'm Parting (Most) Ways With Rogers Soon

RogersMoin

Hello, @pmcsplaza

I'm sorry to hear that you are parting ways with us and definitely the 35+ loyalty will be missed. If you were to have a change of heart or any other reason please don't hesitate to reach out to us. On behalf of the Rogers Community, I wish you many more years ahead with sound health and prosperity. You are always welcome to participate in the Community to guide and enlighten us with your experience. 

All the best!Smiley Happy

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

79 REPLIES 79

RogersMoin

Hello, @pmcsplaza

I'm sorry to hear that you are parting ways with us and definitely the 35+ loyalty will be missed. If you were to have a change of heart or any other reason please don't hesitate to reach out to us. On behalf of the Rogers Community, I wish you many more years ahead with sound health and prosperity. You are always welcome to participate in the Community to guide and enlighten us with your experience. 

All the best!Smiley Happy

Cheers,

RogersMoin

pmcsplaza

Thank you for your kind thoughts.  Much appreciated.  Smiley Happy

I'll still be using Rogers for my 2 mobile devices, so wont be completely gone.

It's the TV, Internet and Home Phone that I'm switching.

Peter
Toronto

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@pmcsplaza  Thanks for letting us know that you are moving on.  We each have our reasons for staying or going and I hope that your new services are relatively problem free.

Best of luck with your services.

Bruce

pmcsplaza

Thanks Smiley Happy

Peter
Toronto

43kilogram
I'm a frequent visitor

Bell will screw you sooner or later, if you switch from Rogers to Bell read the fine print. We went back to Bell with our land line many yyears ago, big mistake, don't

listen to their sales pitch. I'm staying with Rogers, we have fibre optic service for cable & internet plus cell phones. Rogers will reduce your bill if you are firm, demand a better deal !!

pmcsplaza

Living in an old high rise in downlown Toronto we have the original cable put in years ago.  I doubt Rogers will have any intention of replacing it with Fibre-Optic any time soon.   When I ask about it, they change the subject.

The service is OK but not brilliant and I do not like all the cables running everywhere.   Bell are using their original cable ducts to bring the Fibe into these apartments and their own apartment wiring to bring the phone to every room.   A neighbour just went rogue and swears their service is second to none.  He also said they took the full 5 hours to ensure everything worked as it should.     Rogers by comparison are usually in and out in 15 minutes blaming it on "something outside" and service improves for a few days then drops again as if someone just started draining the service out of the Rogers bathtub.

I may regret the move and come back, but only when they can  match Bell for speed up as well as down.

Some TV channels aren't carried by them but they do listen when people ask, according to my sources.  So I am aware of the downside.

Peter
Toronto

Ziibeltw
I've been visiting

Bell vibe? Eeeek!
Trust me... It is junk. We did exactly what you are doing last year, after a Bell rep showed up at the door. Promised lower rates (lied), faster and better service (lied), promised to ensure we had every channel we had with Source cable/Rogers cable (lied big time). And when we got tired of the lies from bell and went back? We shipped all the devices as they requested in Separate parcels and shipping label's they provided... we got billed for a "device not returned" and it was like pulling teeth to get them ro fix it... only to have them bill us again a year later for the same apparently lost box... plus the interest. Only this time they sent it to collection's. Thankfully my wife was able to find the confirmation letter they sent us last year clearing it from our account and if she didn't still have it? We'd have paid the bill... plus have a negative mark on my wifes perfect rating...
They are not what they used to be... but Rogers on the other hand? Always been awesome!
In fact, I came across your post because I plan to post about how a rogers rep just saved us $250 on our multiline cell bill... and took the time to find the error and save us future costs... Bell? Never would happen with them.
You should speak with "Customer Retention" and explain the situation with your services and those specific techs that came to you home but did not fix the issues, and why you plan to leave... Rogers cares.. more than the paycheck! That is unheard of today.

pmcsplaza

Yes, I realise I have some hard thinking to do between now and the 21st.

Peter
Toronto

BS
I'm a senior advisor

As I mentioned earlier, we each have our perspectives on why we may stay or go.  For me, I don't like pressuring any company to give me a "better deal". That is one of the reasons that I am ultimately leaving when the contract runs out - as to where I will go and what company I will use, that is to be determined.

My decision is not based upon price alone, it is experience, as well as can I get the product mix.

Many people have both good and bad stories with the companies that we deal with in this industry. I have had both with Rogers, and with Bell - they have little competition, so there is really little difference.  Just my opinion.

To those who decide to leave for whatever reasons, all the best with your decisions, and we all have the right to have our opinion and to make our choices.

May all find what works best for you.

Bruce

BS
I'm a senior advisor

@Ziibeltw In terms of the credit rating issue - if you have the documentation, which you seem to, then contact the credit agency with all documentation and request confirmation of such from Bell and get the rating cleared up.

Glad you got a good deal, but the other gentleman got a deal he was happy with, and maybe his experience will be different.

Bruce

pmcsplaza

I did all my dealings with Bell directly rather than through a rep, & they seemed quite helpful.

I phoned Rogers today and was told there'd probably be a $100 penalty for breaking my contract anyway, so not all painless.

I'll be locked in for 2 years on this if and when I switch.

Peter
Toronto

BS
I'm a senior advisor

And bottom line from my perspective @pmcsplaza is that you made a decision that it was time to move on due to a number of concerns about Rogers services that you chose not to go into detail on which is your right.

It is your decision and you did your shopping and decision making based upon price, service, customer service and past issues.

It really is none of any of our business what you decide, and we all have had our own unique experiences, and for me, I do as others have said, "we wish you luck and enjoyment in your future entertainment choices.".

Take care Peter and hope you enjoy your new services.

Bruce

pmcsplaza

Thanks 😉

Let's hope I don't regret the move.

Now if Rogers rewired my entire complex (28 floors with 16 apartments on each) with their fibre-optic cabling I might consider returning.

We shall see.

When I spoke to Sales about the cost of termination they never even attempted to talk me into staying apart from a general statement that Bell's service was inferiror, in their opinion, but no offers at all.   I found that strange.

I'll still have Rogers Mobility so wont be totally gone.

All the best to you.

Peter
Toronto

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @pmcsplaza

I noticed that as well. You have to be firm and on ground in order to get anything with Rogers now and days I noticed. The reps don't seem to want u to stay or leave. They just say how the competition is inferior yet I noticed the same with Rogers as well. Lack of many things.

Hopefully with Bell you are set and all works well!

pmcsplaza

I'll report back once established.  As I said, I'm keeping my 2 Rogers Mobile accounts.

Peter
Toronto

Everyone needs to evalute themselves, their situation, etc.. seperately.

I have had a TON of offers from bell for 'cheaper'

Yeah... other than where i live, they haven not got Fibe FULLY here yet. (maybe 1/3 of the town?)  It would be the only thing that MAYBE compared.

So they want me to switch to satalite, and 6mbps DSL.... Yeah, no 😛
Perhaps when Fibe comes, i will re-evaluate.. but it will all depend.

My household (and wife more specifically) has really got used to the 8 Tuners.  Allowing X many recordings and still able to watch live, etc.
Bells is not BAD in that regard..  but we have 3 tvs in the house right now.  (living room, den, master).  Looking to add a 4th to my sons room.. which cant do easily with rogers as it was not wired.  The wireless Fibe would be great.
But then even the bell tuners would be limiting.  If i watch in the den, son in his room, now only 2 left for my wifes stuff 😛 (at least with rogers, the regular TVs all have their own tuners, etc.

Will really have to see how/what changes.
If the Rogers new IPTV offering is much the same.. may not be jumping onboad that anytime quickly.

All i can say is, for each person to check thing individually.
And for heavens sake... DO NOT just go on price alone.
THe amount of time i see people saying "Wow, got a great deal, $30 unlimited internet from X" then go on to complain it buffers netflix sometimes.. kids cant be on at the same time, etc.
Well yeah.. great price.. but thats because you are getting a SLOOOOOW package, and why you are having issues.

pmcsplaza

I went for Fibe as it's new in my building and promises faster and more reliable service.  Rogers can't offer Fibre-Optic service in my area at this time.   It will be a huge job rewiring this place as it's so big.   Currently there are at least 8 cable junction boxes serving it, so you can imagine.

I can only hope my switching lives up to its promise as I'm locked in for 2 years.

Peter
Toronto

BS
I'm a senior advisor

For myself, I have been flip flopping back and forth - What I would really like is the new "new customer" package of the 150 at 69.99 and total price for starter + 5.00 rental for HD terminal and HBO is around 109.00

I don't need the speed - me I have one TV, only two of us in the house, and two old CRT (old tube tv's), but top of the line at the time.

But to date in my discussions of what I want to do, there has been no movement as they will only discuss moving things around on the old VIP, or switching to new ones.  

That model above for one year only saves me money, and I would probably drop it down to 30Mbs when the price goes back up as I don't need the speed.

It is great to see the discussion of companies based upon what are our actual needs, because it is tough to get a rep to enter into that discussion without leaning us towards the bundles as set.

The only reason I want the TV side of things is we like HBO, and maybe we would add or remove channels as deisred.

And of course they will claim the competitor is inferior - for most of us, it would be because Bell can only offer 30-50 Mbs, their box only has 4 tuners, they don't have those awards, etc, but none of these make it inferior in my perspective place - I only need 30, I need unlimited and they give it on 30 for a small add-on as do all other competitors, I only have one TV that we watch recorded channels, so 4 tuners are fine, and we are actually contemplating dropping Cable anyway.

So the reality is that the only thing they can say to me is that the other guys are inferior, because they don't offer the channel mixes I have developed on the other companies (exactly what I want and cheaper than getting the top Rogers one + one channel (not a bonus) in order to get what I want to watch).

The thing I like about going real low on the TV mix, is that there are some stations I watch that are not over the air, but the season for them are all done, so I would stop them until the new series came out.

So, when it comes time, I will make a decision, not so much on price, but on my needs, which Rogers just isn't being flexible in their design.  If I can get less for less (i.e., less channels that I don't watch, for less money), then I would probably go else where.  That was the principle of pick and pay, and some of the competitors have done a great job, I would rank Rogers worst for my mix and price required to get it, Bell is about the same, but I can get low speed and unlimited, and the other companies that feed off the main company lines, one of them in particular meets my needs perfectly at about 40% less per month.

So as we have all said, to each our own, here's to good comparisons, see what you can get (a new deal from a new company is the same as retentions giving us less to compete), but for me, it is the product mix that Rogers is failing me on.

I will see, but I get a funny feeling at the moment, that they aren't going to work hard to keep me.  They seem to be more after getting the switch from other companies - most importantly, it gets people over just in time for IPTV, and for us who are stubbornly wanting to stay with VIP and are even ok with our current boxes, might as well let us go - just my opinion.

Still stumped on the final decision.  One day I will have to get off the pot.

Bruce

Nmdr
I've been visiting
We pay over 500 a month to rogers and today we had a terrible experience with a billing rep on the phone. She did not show any interest in helping us, never said she was sorry our service was out due to a line issue, was rude, cold and condescending to us. Never once thru the entire call thanked us for our business and even at the end we thanked her as we have manners and she never even said thank you at end. We are looking around for other options

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Nmdr

That happened with ALL companies, not just a cable company or Rogers. I have incured this with Samsung, Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido, LG, Sony and more.

You will always have reps like this. Sadly it's among all companies. So switching carriers because one rep was treating u badly won't make a difference as another rep with another carrier will do the same.

I would call back and speak to a manager. Have them file a report on the rep and see what happens.
Topic Stats