cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Stingray Music Channels (Graphics Late)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is an issue with the graphics that accompany the music on the Stingray Music Channels. The music for a new song starts, but the graphics are about 5-20 seconds “behind” the music. To clarify, a new song will start playing, but the appropriate graphic with the song title and artist doesn’t display at the appropriate time.  This issue is fairly recent.

I’m with Rogers Toronto and typically listen to channel 726 Adult Alternative, but the issue is present on various channels that I checked.  I reported the issue to Stingray, but they asked me to report it to Rogers. Perhaps a Rogers Rep can forward this to the appropriate technical person.  Anyone else notice?

***Edited Labels***

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Issues with Stingray Music Channels (Graphics Late)

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @57

You aren't alone on this. I too have noticed this on many Stingray music channels.

I thought it was my box but after the reboot it's not. Contacted Stingray like you and got the same response.

TheArcher
I plan to stick around

Yes, I noticed this too. We usually only listen to a Stingray Music channel on the weekend and last weekend was the first time I saw it. I have seen this in the past when using Stingray Music through the Rogers Anyplace TV website on my laptop which has differnet graphics, and it eventually got fixed.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Just checked on Channel 729 Folk Roots and the graphic changed within a second of the song changing. This is a SA8300HD in the Woodstock area.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I also just checked 729 (on my 9865), but there was a 20 second gap between the start of the song and the song graphics. It can vary from about 5 seconds to 20 seconds for me, depending on the song. I have no idea why it's like that - I would have expected a consistent delay across all channels and all songs...

When I checked my SA8300HD the other day, it behaved the same as my 9685, so @OLDYELLR, perhaps you just encountered an anomoly, or there is no issue with your server since you're on a different server.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

Looks like you're right. The 1 second delay I saw was an anomaly. I'm now seeing an up to 13 second delay in graphics for a new song so far, but haven't seen 20 seconds yet.  Maybe it's the bandwidth used by the software that delays the video.  But at least it always shows what song is next, so it's no more than an annoyance.

(Listening to 729 Folk Roots is getting annoying too with the injection of 2017 politics. )

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I got a follow-up e-mail from the forums this morning asking if I had received the answer I needed.  The issue is not resolved. Although it's not a big deal, it's kind of weird that it was working properly before and now it takes 5-20 seconds for the correct song information to be displayed.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

It seems that those email notifications are generated by some algorithm to encourage you to go to the Forum and read the thread to see if the issue was resolved. I received one too for a thread I'd started by posting a scam alert, not reporting an issue or asking a question.

As for the Stingray graphic delay after the song changes, I'm not seeing it as often or as long as you report, but it's still there. Frankly, I never noticed it before. I seriously doubt Rogers or Singray has tried to change anything just now. As you've mentioned elsewhere, Stingray uses very little bandwidth compared to regular programming, making recording it an ideal tool to prevent rebooting in the wee hours.  It probably means that the code is quite basic, hence the delays.

dale55
I've been around

As of today, 16 May 2017, this issue still occurs. Main difference for my particular situation is that the graphic is one song behind, ie. it changes at the end of every song, but stays one song behind.

Stingray in Winnipeg with Kenwood DDX 9703s car stereo and Rogers locked phone.

Hi @dale55,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Sorry for the delay in response!  I know how irritating it can be when information isn't displayed accurately. Can you confirm if you're still having an issue with delayed song titles?  And just to clarify, you're referring to OTA radio, not the Stingray stations on your cable box, correct?

Kind regards,

RogersShaun

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersShaun wrote:

Hi @dale55,

1.  Can you confirm if you're still having an issue with delayed song titles?  

2. And just to clarify, you're referring to OTA radio, not the Stingray stations on your cable box, correct?

Kind regards,

RogersShaun

1. The issue is still there. The graphics are incorrect for about 5-20 seconds into the song.  A song will start playing and the graphic with the artist/song/album lags by about 5-20 seconds.  There is no pattern to the amount of delay.

2. I thought that the thread title and earlier posts were all pretty clear. This is regarding the Stingray channels.

3. OTA channels don't have any graphics regarding the songs.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The issue is still there.  It's been happening for at least 2 months, starting sometime in March.

See my post above and post 1 for additional details.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I reminded Stingray of the issue and received the following response.

Thanks for your email and for letting us know about the syncing issue.

We are aware of an issue affecting the synchronization of the information on screen and the audio on Rogers. We've forwarded the information to our technical department as they are investigating the issue.

We hope it will be resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks you very much for taking the time to send us your email. We'll get back to you as soon as we have more details!

The Stingray Music Support Team

RogersShaun
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @57,

Thanks for the update! 

I've actually been watching (or listening) to Stingray for a good while today, and I do notice there's a bit of lag between title updates, 10 or 15 seconds usually.

Allow me some time to look into it and see what can be done.

Thanks for your patience!

RogersShaun

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersShaun wrote:

Hey @57,

Thanks for the update! 

I've actually been watching (or listening) to Stingray for a good while today, and I do notice there's a bit of lag between title updates, 10 or 15 seconds usually.

Allow me some time to look into it and see what can be done.

Thanks for your patience!

RogersShaun

5 months after I initially reported it and 3 months after the last correspondence, this issue still exists. It's not a big deal, I just wonder why it's happening and why there's not a simple/quick fix.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I reported this issue of delayed graphics on Stingray channels a couple of years ago. The issue was NEVER resolved, but I just lived with a delay of a few seconds.  For the past week or so, the delay is now 30+ seconds.  Are others seeing this issue where a song starts playing but the graphics indicate it as "next" for about half a minute or more...  I just had one take 40 seconds! 

I usually listen/watch channel 726 (adult alternative), however, it happens on all the channels I watch/listen (712, 716, 719, 720, 721, 722, 723, 725, etc.)  Obviously it's not an earth-shattering problem, but it's a pain when you switch to a channel where the graphics and the song don't match for half a minute.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I haven't tuned to Stingray for some time, but just did and can confirm the delay.  Very annoying.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

After several back and forth e-mails with Stingray, this issue appears to have finally been resolved. Anyone wish to confirm that the graphics are now changing at the same time as the new song starts?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

When @57 mentioned it above, I also saw the 30+ second delay. I don't listen to a lot of Stingray music, but just now checking 729 I saw the graphic change at the same time as the song. So it's working.

Topic Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation