cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IoT linux wvdial/ppp setup

nix99
I've been here awhile

I'm trying to configure wvdial/ppp on linux to access the internet using a Rogers 4G SIM, I can see the latest settings here ...

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/rogers-lte-apn-settings

Anyone who has used wvdial/ppp knows that it insists on having a username/password. If I make up dummy values like default/void (used by other suppliers) will it work? Has anyone here tried this?

I've been told by live chat to try older settings since they might work but it makes me nervous that they might simply stop working quite soon.

I'm not yet in the region so I cannot test the configuration, anyone with time on their hands could simply try it on their phone setup if they are feeling particularly kind or particularly bored!!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: IoT linux wvdial/ppp setup

RogersTony

Hello, @nix99

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I know how important it is to ensure your device will work when you arrive in Canada so we definitely want to do our best to assist you.

Have you taken a look at our Rogers APN thread as of yet? It is a bit of a long thread but the answer you are seeking may be contained within. Is there anyone in the community that may be able to provide insight or test this out for @nix99?

I will tag in some of our Resident Experts to see if they can provide any info, @Datalink, @Gdkitty, @gp-se, @Pauly.

Thanks for posting your inquiry in our community!

RogersTony

nix99
I've been here awhile

Have you taken a look at our Rogers APN thread as of yet? It is a bit of a long thread but the answer you are seeking may be contained within. Is there anyone in the community that may be able to provide insight or test this out for @nix99?

I did indeed take a good look at that thread, I didn't see anything specific to the new LTE APN address (ltemobile.apn) and using wvdial. 

The old settings might work of course (internet.com,wapuser1,wap) so it might be a case for me to just try some things once the device lands in the area. And post back here of course!

nix99
I've been here awhile

We've only tested this from the UK (with roaming on of course) but it appears a dummy username/password works.

So that's ...

APN: ltemobile.apn

Username: default

Password: void

Enjoy!

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 in conversation