cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New iPad Pro 5G Support on Rogers

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around

Now that Rogers is selling the 11 inch iPad Pro with 5G support via the Rogers website, when is Rogers going to actually allow tablets that are capable of 5G on their 5G network? I just learned today while trying to get my new 5G capable iPad Pro on the 5G network that Rogers doesn’t permit tablets to actually utilize 5G. This is complete rubbish, and extremely disappointing.  For one, as an Infinite customer, I can find no mention of 5G only being available for phones, and tablets are excluded. Secondly, Rogers in their own marketing videos advertising their 5G network prominently feature actors using tablets. Lastly, Rogers has the new iPad Pro with 5G available for sale on their website and displays the Rogers 5G image above the photo of the iPad. Not only that, but under the product features, specifically call out the tablet’s ability to connect to the 5G network. Rogers is going to have some pretty upset customers who purchase the new iPad to utilize the Roger’s 5G network, only to find out that their devices are only allowed to use LTE. 

Come on Rogers, this is completely unacceptable. 

Josh

*** Edited Labels ***

27 REPLIES 27

Re: New iPad Pro 5G Support on Rogers

RogersTony

Hello, @Jvb2112

Thanks so much for posting your concern to our community.

I can understand how frustrating it would be to get a device that is 5G compatible and not be able to use it to connect to the 5G network.

We currently do not have any data-only plans for tablets that support 5G. The iPad Pro 5G is the first tablet that we offer that is compatible with 5G. As the 5G rollout expands further I am confident that we will eventually have some data-only plans that will be compatible with 5G. For now, you would need to subscribe to a Rogers Infinite plan to benefit from the 5G network.

Learn more about Rogers 5G by visiting rogers.com/5g.

RogersTony

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the reply Tony, but I think you need to check your information. I have an Infinite plan, and Rogers will not allow my 5G iPad which is part of my Infinite plan to access 5G. I have been told by Rogers management that no tablets are currently permitted on 5G.

Melanie9gt
I've been around

Just switched to Rogers and this is very disappointing for me. Will be looking for other providers in the next couple of weeks.

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around

Yes, it’s pretty disappointing. My complaint was escalated to the “Office of the President”.  The Rogers representative in that department confirmed that Rogers does not provision tablets with 5G access. She said that she would share my complaint with the various departments involved, which to me just means ‘we’re not going to be really doing anything’. 

I feel like Rogers has misrepresented their Infinite wireless offering by not allowing my added 5G iPad to access the 5G network.  

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around

Just to update this thread, as of June 5th 2021 Rogers still does not support the iPad Pro 5G on their 5G network when added to a Rogers Infinite plan as a tablet device. I contacted Rogers technical support to see if any changes to this policy had been made and they had not. 

Come on Rogers, what’s going on with this? You’re still selling the 2021 iPad Pro on your website with the Rogers 5G logo placed above the iPad product image - this is blatant false advertising. There’s also still no verbiage on your website indicating that 5G on Infinite plans does not extend to tablets, only cellular phones. 

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around

Just to update this thread once again, as of June 14th 2021 Rogers still does not support the iPad Pro 5G on their 5G network when added to a Rogers Infinite plan as a tablet device. I once again contacted Rogers technical support to see if any changes to this policy had been made and they still had not. 

shaderman
I've been around

I also just bought a iPad Pro with 5g, and was surprised to see it only connect to LTE, when my iPhone right next to it had 5g with full signal strength. I agree that for customers with Infinite, and family sharing which I have, this is unacceptable. Let me use the bandwidth I’m paying for in the way that I choose.

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around
Hi Shaderman…

Well I guess we’re both in the same boat. I keep scratching my head wondering why Rogers isn’t providing the iPad Pro 5G with 5G network access for customers with Infinite plans. Please if you can, call in and complain. Maybe if enough of us do we’ll see some movement from Rogers on this. For those of you interested, Bell permits the iPad 5G on its 5G network. If Rogers doesn’t resolve this soon I’ll be moving all of my services there. I want a provider who can support my latest tech devices, not have them neutered on Rogers’ network.

pmacpherson68
I plan to stick around

Just curious - if you are using an older LTE SIM card?   you may need to update it to a latest SIM.  the store can help you.

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around

Hi Pmacpherson68...

I appreciate the suggestion of updating the SIM card.  When I initially called Rogers and spoke with technical support, that's exactly what they told me to do - get a new SIM.  However, when that didn't work the second technical support representative I got on the phone dug deeper.  Rogers does not support 5G tablets being added to their Infinite plans, at this time there's no means for getting 5G data on a iPad Pro capable of 5G with Rogers.

littlegiant
I've been here awhile

I just received an iPad Pro 11" with a 5G SIM and switched on the cellular data only to find that I am on LTE.

As of now, I have it on 5G Auto, but plan to place it on LTE only so I do the switching and not the iPad.

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around

Hi Littlegiant…

As long as Rogers refuses to allow 5G capable tablets, like the iPad Pro with 5G, from their 5G network, you’re not going to have to worry about any switching.  The iPad will be confined to LTE regardless of your system settings. 

littlegiant
I've been here awhile

Thanks. I have this topic bookmarked so any messages here will show up in my alerts. I will keep the tablet on 5G Auto for now.

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around

Just to update this thread, iphoneincanada.com has picked up Rogers' lack of 5G tablet support in a news article.  Hopefully Rogers will clarify their position quickly and either make it clear to everyone that tablets are not supported on their 5G network or finally enable the 5G service for our tablet devices.

Link to article:

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/rogers-doesnt-allow-tablets-to-access-its-5g-network-y...

Don_Ca
I'm a senior contributor
But why do they not support tablets on 5G? It should not be any different than a phone. They probably have just not worked out how to charge extra yet.

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around

Hey Don...

I don't know, that could be the reason - looking for new way to up charge.  Or maybe the Rogers 5G network isn't as good as they advertise and can't handle the influx of potentially more devices per a single customer.  Either way, right now as customers of Rogers we've been left in the cold and without explanation.  I've filed a complaint to the CRTC for misleading marketing practice regarding this issue.  As nowhere does it state tablets are not permitted on 5G, Rogers is actively marketing tablets in their 5G ads, and Rogers is selling the 5G iPad with their own custom 5G icon over the iPad product photo.  Then as customers we buy a 5G iPad, expecting it to work on Rogers 5G, and are unable to actually use it on their 5G wireless network as part of our Infinite plans.  This just doesn't sit well with me at all, and I don't feel my expectation of 5G support to be unreasonable in any manner.

Regards,

Josh

Jvb2112
I plan to stick around

Another media outlet has picked up on Roger’s not supporting tablets on 5G:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/06/25/rogers-5g-tablet-plans-could-come-soon/

Not sure that matters, didn’t upgrade my SIM when I got the new iPhone and it connected to 5G. I bought a new iPad today to SPECIFICALLY have 5G as I use it for work. Now another reason to check out Bell.

GargoyleAnt
I've been here awhile
Just switch 6 lines to Bell. Can’t believe Rogers would sell and promote 5G but not be able to support it. Bell supports 5G on tablets.

CTB83
I've been here awhile
As there been any updates on this. I got a new iPad. Was told to get a new 5G sim and nothing. LTE only.
Topic Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 10 in conversation