cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use WiFi calling without data roaming out of Canada?

PZ1
I plan to stick around

Hi,

I read an article about WiFi calling at https://www.rogers.com/support/mobility/wifi-calling-everything-you-need-to-know.

The following statement in the article confused me:

"If you do not have Roam Like Home or a Travel Pack or roaming add-on, your outgoing WiFi calls and messages to a non-Canadian number will be billed according to roaming Pay-Per-Use rates."

Why do I have to use cellular data for WiFi calling? Can I make WiFi calls using my local WIFI network out of Canada with the cellular data turned off?

Could anyone share your experience and expertise please? Thank you.

PZ1

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can I use WiFi calling without data roaming out of Canada?

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
Calls made over WiFi Calling are treated as if they originate from Canada. This means, any calls made outside of what your normal calling plans includes, will be billed as if you were calling from Canada to where ever the number you are calling is.

Cellular data is not required for WiFi Calling. You can put your device in Airplane Mode, turn on and connect to WiFi. And WiFi Calling will connect if the WiFi network you are connected to is fast enough, both up and down to sustain a call, and if none of the ports WiFi Calling use are blocked by the Wireless Access Point/Router you are connecting to.

If you have WhatsApp on your phone or Facebook Messenger as examples. Remove them because these apps can and will turn off your WiFi and enable cellular without any notification or warning at all. Even if you aren't using those apps at the current time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
Calls made over WiFi Calling are treated as if they originate from Canada. This means, any calls made outside of what your normal calling plans includes, will be billed as if you were calling from Canada to where ever the number you are calling is.

Cellular data is not required for WiFi Calling. You can put your device in Airplane Mode, turn on and connect to WiFi. And WiFi Calling will connect if the WiFi network you are connected to is fast enough, both up and down to sustain a call, and if none of the ports WiFi Calling use are blocked by the Wireless Access Point/Router you are connecting to.

If you have WhatsApp on your phone or Facebook Messenger as examples. Remove them because these apps can and will turn off your WiFi and enable cellular without any notification or warning at all. Even if you aren't using those apps at the current time.

PZ1
I plan to stick around

Thank you so much! I've concluded that I'd better put my phone in Airplane Mode. Once there is a local Wi-Fi network, for example, in a hotel, I can use the Wi-Fi calling function to receive text messages and calls for free. That is a great option for travellers. Am I right?

PS. I also read a statement from the same article (https://www.rogers.com/support/mobility/wifi-calling-everything-you-need-to-know😞

"You may incur additional long-distance charges and/or international message charges if your VPN, DNS or internet provider is set to a country outside Canada." It sounds like Rogers always has an excuse to charge users

for long-distance calls, as users are blinded to the local network settings.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Something else I know about Wifi Calling, for it to work properly and not bill you extra, make sure you do not connect to a foreign cell network, as this registers with the network that you have left canada, it may prevent you from using wifi calling, or may incur long distance.

Keep airplain mode on, and ensure cellular network is off the whole time.

I used wifi calling in the caribbean and did not incur any charges when I followed these steps.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation