cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Replacement Spam?

getagrip
I've been here awhile

In March of 2020 I purchased an Iphone 11 Max pro from Rogers. Yesterday, the folks at my local Apple store replaced the battery. I had not been out of the store for 5 minutes when I received this text:

1-***-***-*066
"Hi Greg, it's M*** from the Rogers store on 601 Robson St. It appears that you might be ready for a new phone, and I can absolutely help with that. How are things with you? 
For my store details or to opt out: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/unsubscribe"

The store exists but the number is from an internet marketing company in Burnaby and is easily searchable. I get my share of spam messages but the timing of this seems suspicious. Any thoughts?

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Battery Replacement Spam?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It sounds like the corp stores use a marketing company to remind clients they are due for hardware upgrade.  You were given the unsubscribe option so I would opt out of that so that you do not get future text messages like that.

just unsubscribe and call it a day

getagrip
I've been here awhile
Fairly sure when I bought the phone I did not agree to anything like that.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

then feel free to unsubscribe from their internal do not contact list and call up the store and have a friendly chat wit their manager about asking for consent before such emails or texts are offered

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation