JustAnotherProb
I'm here a lot

Can I change the number of rings before a call goes to voicemail on a Galaxy s5

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rings before voicemail

Hello @JustAnotherProb,

Set number of rings is hard coded into the wireless system, it is 20 seconds.

It can not be changed.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Cheers,

RogersShakir

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @JustAnotherProb

You can't do it by your self but i believe calling into Rogers and asking them should. Give them a call and and see if they can do it for you.

You can also contact @CommunityHelps and they could look further into it!

Hello @JustAnotherProb,

Set number of rings is hard coded into the wireless system, it is 20 seconds.

It can not be changed.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Cheers,

RogersShakir

Has the 20 seconds increased recently?

I require more rings to my phone than the 20 seconds before going to voice mail????

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
it has increased but it is NOT an automatic increase you would have to call customer service and personally ASK them to increase it to 30 seconds, they have to do some command in the back end and voila it will work

patandlindaw
I've been here awhile

Hey Rogers - 4 rings, 20 seconds??  Stupid!  Give us the option to change it!  Can't possibly be that hard - can it?

toncar420
I've been here awhile
I called Rogers support and was told it could not be done. What can I do now?

toncar420
I've been here awhile
Rogers cannot change the the ring time of 20 seconds. I have been told definitively.

aenormann
I've been around
I tried calling them and they said it is not possible for them to increase the time before voicemail picks up.

Mir18
I've been here awhile
Absolutely useless! I only hear one or one and a half rings before the phone hangs up. Stop making your service irrelevant at a give consumers a chance to set the amount of time they need

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mir18 : As discussed in this and many other threads on the topic (search for number of rings voicemail, etc) the amount of time before a wireless phone goes to voicemail for most carriers in Canada is fixed at 20 seconds at the carrier's back end.  If voicemail is turned off, this may be extended to as much as 60 seconds, but depends. Since most people have voicemail turned on, the 20 seconds is fixed and cannot be changed (Canadian carriers).  (See post 3 of this thread and numerous other threads as mentioned earlier.)

I'm not sure why your particular situation has only 1-1.5 rings - perhaps something to do with a (poor?) signal in your area?

(There was a time a decade ago when phones were analogue when this could be changed.)

Gate420
I plan to stick around

How to change the amount of rings before answering service answers?

Just as my question states I have been searching and I can find nothing when it comes to cell phone answering service. I only find solutions for homophone services so does anyone know how to change the number of rings before the service answers. I am using a Moto e android phone.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gate420 :  It looks like your post was moved to this thread. As discussed in post 12 of this thread, you cannot change it.

Burberry
I've been here awhile

Rogers, it'd be appreciated if you'd change the feature that enables customers to increase/decrease the number of rings before iPhone goes to voicemail.  Other provides have that feature enabled.

JackDeath
I've been here awhile

This will not do!

bg771
I plan to stick around

How do I reset Galaxy S10+ "Forward when unanswered" to "voicemail:internal"?

I'm trying to change the ring length before going to voicemail to 25 or 30 seconds because I have a ringtone that is 25 seconds long & I want to hear it all when spam calls me. Don't judge me, I'm weird & I bet you are too.
In trying * codes to accomplish this, which seems impossible/non-existent, it messes up my voicemail settings so when people call, they just get "number is busy, try again later" or some junk.

takhars
I've been around

Any updates on this Rogers? Can we now increase the number of rings or the duration before VM kicks in?

Greetings @takhars!

There has been no change to the number of rings before a voicemail picks up. It is still hard coded to ring for 20 seconds by our network.

Regards,

RogersCorey

BeerMoney
I've been around

20 seconds is not nearly enough time. 3 rings before going to voicemail? This is 2023, not 1980. It is time to catch up Rogers, and offer your customers the choice to select how much time customers need. Don't dictate and start offering a choice, please. Specially if the customers is waiting for call back from a Job interview / Doctor  / family emergency / driving.. and they can not answer within the 20 seconds etc.

Greetings @BeerMoney!

20 seconds is a good balance, in my view. It guarantees that the caller won't grow impatient and hang up before having a chance to leave you a voicemail. 

I recall a time when personal voicemail machines would wait upwards of 8 rings before picking up and that felt excruciatingly long to me. 

Considering that most of us carry our phones with us at all times, I personally assume that the person I'm calling is too busy to pick up if they can't answer the phone within 20 seconds.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What people want is not Rogers "compromise" of 20 seconds, rather they would prefer an option to change it.  I have searched the web and found that some providers have this option.

There are reasons that people may wish to change the number, such as if I know I'm not going to answer for the next while, I might change it to 5 seconds, or if I know I'm not going to be near my phone, I might change it to 30 seconds...

@CommunityHelps If you would care to explain why Rogers does not have the option, perhaps that would be better than dictating that 20 is "the best".

Topic Stats