cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message lag time

jwayne
I plan to stick around

My goodness,takes a long time to get in here,anywayI got a new cell phone from Rogers,but when my wife sends me a message,it takes about 3 hours before it shows up on my phone.My son mentioned to turn off the wi-fi,but then I got nothing.So now I have turned on Rogers data and that seems to work better.Is this a common problem if I turn on the wi-fi again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Message lag time

jwayne
I plan to stick around

Yes,I saw the SMS Message popup when trying to send a message,anyway I have restarted the cell phone a couple of times and now seems to be working,hopefully waiting 3 hours or more to receive a message is also solved.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RogersMoin

Hello, @jwayne

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Typically, text messages are received instantaneously. 

If you have to turn the data on to receive that message could be an MMS. The data must be on for the MMS to work. Do you need to wait that long for both SMS (text) & MMS (photos/videos)? If the simple text message is over 160 characters, it may get converted into MMS before being sent. 

We'd need additional info to diagnose this; please answer the following:

• What's the make/model of your new phone?
  • Which messaging app are you using on your new phone?
  • What's the phone model and messaging app used on your wife's phone?
  • If you send a text message to your wife's number, is it received immediately?

Please keep us posted

Cheers,

RogersMoin

jwayne
I plan to stick around

I wrote a reply,but it disappeared,must be a bug,will try again later.

jwayne
I plan to stick around

My wife has the Samsung and we picked up the pixel6.

One more time.

My son tells us if Rogers data is not on,messages don't work properly.

I am to used to Telus as I have always had my cell phone with them and never needed data on.

On the upside my old mobile stick still works great,but I don't think I need that anymore as my wife also picked up the tablet with the chip in it.Only tried it once so far,but seems to work good.

jwayne
I plan to stick around

Turned off mobile data and turned on MMS to see what will happen.

jwayne
I plan to stick around

Boy o boy,hard to post in here,anyway all screwed up now,so off to the store I go tomorrow and let them get this phone to work.

Greetings @jwayne!

If you're using the Android Messages App then I would recommend turning data on as it is a similar service to that of iMessage. 

If you disable data, then the app will first attempt to send the message via data and only after failing will it then shift gears and attempt to send it via SMS. This is most likely the reason for the delay you're experiencing.

Regards,

RogersCorey

jwayne
I plan to stick around

Gads,I wrote a reply,but disappeared,tired of writing replys 2 or 3 times before they show on the page.

jwayne
I plan to stick around

I see that the SMS does not stay working,but I don't see a place to have it stay on.

jwayne
I plan to stick around

To cold to go out to store.

Separate question for tablet:messages do not work,it ask to verify phone number,do they mean chip number,wifes phone number or my number.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

it sounds like you are using RCS messaging, we might need a little more info about this to help you solve it.   why is data off in the first place? you either need cellular data or wifi to use RCS messaging. can u confirm you have this? if not, just disable it and use standard text messaging which is referred to as SMS, it can be done in the settings.

jwayne
I plan to stick around

Yes,I saw the SMS Message popup when trying to send a message,anyway I have restarted the cell phone a couple of times and now seems to be working,hopefully waiting 3 hours or more to receive a message is also solved.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation