cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Porting

stagerseeney
I've been here awhile

I've just switched to a Rogers cell plan. Is it normal to see a different phone number while my old number is in the porting process?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Number Porting

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes it is normal.  When you sign up for Cellular service, your given a random telephone number because its a requirement of activating a cell phone service to have a number.  you can't have a cellphone line activated with no number assigned. This random telephone number becomes known as your Temporary number while your original number is being ported from your previous carrier. once the port is complete, your old number moves to your new cellphone line, and your old account with your old provider gets cancelled automatically.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes it is normal.  When you sign up for Cellular service, your given a random telephone number because its a requirement of activating a cell phone service to have a number.  you can't have a cellphone line activated with no number assigned. This random telephone number becomes known as your Temporary number while your original number is being ported from your previous carrier. once the port is complete, your old number moves to your new cellphone line, and your old account with your old provider gets cancelled automatically.

stagerseeney
I've been here awhile
I’ve been with the same provider for over 15 years so not much experience with porting. Thanks very much for the reply, it was very helpful.

Kystephe
I've been around

Hello there,

I just did the port and eSIM activation. The instructions stated to add eSIM, scan the QR code, then choose if I want my ported number as a primary or secondary, I chose primary, and my temporary number was chosen as secondary.

The 'primary' (my ported number I wanted) was from Freedom mobile, also shown in my iphone settings>>cellular.  My 'secondary' temporary number shows rogers. 

They say it would only take 30mins for the ported number to switch over to rogers and show rogers in my settings>>cellular, but it still shows freedom, and also still shows the temp number. I tried calling in with the ported number but it wouldnt work, and no data, no nothing. So i had to manually click the off button for "turn on this line". And then i was able to make phone calls with my temporary rogers number. 

When I finally called in, they say that they see me calling from a 604 number (my ported one), but I was actually calling from the temporary one (area code 236). And upon logging into my rogers account, it says the 604 number. So i'm quite lost with how to make my eSIM 604 number be with rogers and no longer freedom. 

I waited well over 3 hours, restarted my phone a couple times already, and now I notice my iMessage won't work at all anymore for the 604 number...I can only text from my email now. 

Please help, rogers just keeps saying "It'll switch over just wait". but i've waited well over the estimated wait time.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
Not sure if this is related to your porting problem, but somebody familiar with the esim process was having problems 9 hours ago. Upon calling Rogers, the user was told by CSR that tech support was aware of a server backlog that was delaying things by several hours. Again, not sure if any server backlog has anything to do with your delayed port timing, but if it doesn't fix itself within 3 hours after your esim port, you can always call tech support.

how did this end up going? i have the EXACT same issue right now. 

Hello, @msbeckymann.

Welcome to our Community, and thank you for joining this thread. I assume your number has been successfully transferred to Rogers since your post. If not, please provide us with more details on the issue so we can help. You can check our support article for more info. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

maureen13
I've been here awhile

I have a temporary number but it hasn't updated to the ported number.  Rogers is sending the verification code to the number I want to keep.  I can't access it because my phone is using the temporary number.

maureen13
I've been here awhile

I've had it done twice at the Rogers store - two weeks, still waiting.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello maureen13,

when you put a port request, rogers will send a message to your old number, this is only needed to be done for a temporary message to receive the verification message, you should put your rogers sim in your old phone and power it up during this process, once you receive the message you can reply "Yes" and your number port will be submitted for completion.    if you only have one phone, then just put the rogers sim, and do the port request, once the message goes thru and you reply yes, you can pop out the sim and use your new provider sim in your phone and eventually your number will be ported over.  if you do not do this ,you will be using the temporary number forever

maureen13
I've been here awhile

Im porting from Shaw to Rogers. My Shaw SIM card is long gone.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

well there you go, that is your problem, you need to explain to them that your shaw sim card is gone, they have been sending a text to your shaw number over and over and you have not been able to reply to it to confirm the port over. perhaps they have a way of overriding it? you HAVE to call shaw and figure this out.

Hello, @maureen13.

As @Pauly suggested, please chat with our dedicated support, the Ambassadors team, to resolve your porting concern. I look forward to seeing the issue resolved at the earliest.

Regards,

RogersMoin

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, please chat with one of the Dedicated support people who can help you solve this problem.

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 in conversation