cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet - Late payment charge for ontime payments

r2d
I've been here awhile

Why does Rogers keep charging late payment fees for bank payments that were made and posted on tiime?

If Rogers can't get their sheet together with the banks, then why are they charging the customer late fees for their own inadequacies, not just once, but for months on end, over and over... again...and again...

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Internet - Late payment charge for ontime payments

Good day @Jambridge,

Welcome to the Rogers Community & thanks for your post! I can understand you concern with regards to the discrepancy between the date you made your payment on, and the date on which it was received.

Timelines for payments to reach us may vary depending on the method of payment used. If you manually make the payment via online banking, it could be up to five days until we receive it. This is standard delay and not due to "deficient systems". 

A late payment charge on your bill indicates that your account has an unpaid balance from a previous bill. If we don’t receive payment for the amount due on your account by the required payment date on your bill, we apply a late payment charge to the following invoice. 

If you want your payment to be posted to your account right away, a one-time payment with your Visa Debit, Debit MasterCard, or credit card is the fastest way to pay your unpaid balance. To do so, sign in to MyRogers, select Make a payment and follow the prompts.

Additionally, you can set up for automatic payments, and we'll take the payment approximately two weeks after the end of your billing cycle, on your scheduled withdrawal date. Let us know if you need assistance in signing up for Auto-Pay!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How many days before the actual due date are you making your bank payments.  When making a payment via a bank it's usually advisable to make that payment several days before the due date in order to preclude these sorts of issues. On many bank websites it'll even say "please allow for x days before this transaction is completed".

Another way to preclude issues is to set up auto-pay.  That way you don't need to worry about making the payments every month and the billed amount will be taken out on the due date.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I concur with 57,  When paying thru a financial institution like your bank, I would pay it  few days before the due date, that way I know the payment is posted on time to who ever the payment is going to.  Bank payments have all strange kinds of rules and notices about delayed payments when being done after 4:30pm or on weekends.

To ensure your payment goes thru same day, you can allow Rogers to process your payment directly, so this means pay thru them with credit card by speaking to a customer service agent on the phone or online.  that way they get the money right away.

r2d
I've been here awhile

The due date is the due date.

ANY payment to Rogers or their institutional proxies is legally valid if the money is transfered from a customers account to Rogers OR to their proxies. The back end processing is of no legal concern to the customer once the payment has been instigated and consumated by Rogers OR their proxies.

If they knowing have a problem with a payment made on the due date that is not showing up in their accounting system until a few days later, that is NOT the customer's problem.

The proper way to handle that is to wait the day or two until all payments have cleared and been accounted for. They know that that takes time. Why it takes time in this day and age is beyound me, but that's another story. Rogers should wait a day or two, like many companies do, for their stystems to catch up, before charging late fees, rather than pounce on any oportunity to add a late fee.

With all their customers, these type of late fees add up and probably amount to millions os dollars each year. Rogers is not entitled to such late fees and their ownership of same while a dispute resolves itself, amounts to a massive "kiting" scheme where they may utilize additional monies that are not properly theirs.

Is this what they teach in MBA schools?  Their addition of late fees in such an unwarranted manner is theft. Theft is theft, no matter how you look at it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@r2d wrote:  If they knowing have a problem with a payment made on the due date that is not showing up in their accounting system until a few days later, that is NOT the customer's problem.

You have a choice. You can keep banging your head against this wall, or you can do as recommended in previous posts.   Rogers is not about to change for you.  You can also switch to a different service provider, but they may have similar or worse issues.

Jambridge
I've been here awhile

I too am being charged a large fee unreasonably.  When I make an e transfer to someone it’s deposited in their account immediately.  My bank debited my account for my Rogers payment on September 3.  Rogers claims it was not received until September 7.  So they blame me, rather than their obviously deficient payments system.  When I contacted them, twice, about canceling this late charge (my payment history is impeccable) I am told it cannot be done.  Yet others on this site say it has.  This is a matter of principal for me.

Good day @Jambridge,

Welcome to the Rogers Community & thanks for your post! I can understand you concern with regards to the discrepancy between the date you made your payment on, and the date on which it was received.

Timelines for payments to reach us may vary depending on the method of payment used. If you manually make the payment via online banking, it could be up to five days until we receive it. This is standard delay and not due to "deficient systems". 

A late payment charge on your bill indicates that your account has an unpaid balance from a previous bill. If we don’t receive payment for the amount due on your account by the required payment date on your bill, we apply a late payment charge to the following invoice. 

If you want your payment to be posted to your account right away, a one-time payment with your Visa Debit, Debit MasterCard, or credit card is the fastest way to pay your unpaid balance. To do so, sign in to MyRogers, select Make a payment and follow the prompts.

Additionally, you can set up for automatic payments, and we'll take the payment approximately two weeks after the end of your billing cycle, on your scheduled withdrawal date. Let us know if you need assistance in signing up for Auto-Pay!

RogersMaude

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jambridge wrote:

I too am being charged a large fee unreasonably.  

As mentioned earlier in this thread, including the post above yours, it depends on the type of transfer and the person/corporation you are paying. There are several methods to avoid late payment penalties discussed in this thread:

- Auto pay

- Credit/debit card

- Payment via a bank, realizing that it may take several days for the amount to be deposited at Rogers etc.  Banks often advise that it may take 3-5 business days for a transaction to be completed.

As I mentioned earlier, you're welcome to keep banging your head against the wall, or you can use a method that avoids late payment penalties.

Jambridge
I've been here awhile

Can you please explain how an e-transfer can be deposited to someone’s bank account almost immediately, yet it can take up to 5days for an electronic payment from a bank to be received by Rogers.   And do the computers get the weekends and holidays off, causing even further delays?  

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do not see what the problem is, someone is making a big deal out of a problem with the bank posting a payment to an account but this is not isolated to just Rogers, Bank payments to other utilities and bills are also subject to this delay. This is well documented that payments made at your financial institution take some time to post, this is well documented, even the banks tell you this if you speak to the bank personnel or tellers they will also tell you this.

It is not fair to blame rogers for an issue the banks created. If you want to make your rogers payment promptly and want rogers to receive your money right away, then do a payment directly from the rogers site. they accept credit card payments online thru their online credit card payment process and the money will be  reflected on your account right away if you do this.

I do not see why someone is complaining when a solution already exists, just use the solution that posts the payment right away aka rogers web site to make the payment or set up re-occurring payments thru rogers and call it a day

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Jambridge wrote:

Can you please explain how an e-transfer can be deposited to someone’s bank account almost immediately, yet it can take up to 5days for an electronic payment from a bank to be received by Rogers.   

What can be done and what is done are two different matters.  Let me explain:

1. Certain transactions are done almost instantaneously.  

2. Other transactions are "held" for 3-5 business days.  This can be for several reasons:  They can require human intervention or approval at some point.  They are not put through right away because of possible scammers using this form of transfer. In this way, if someone realizes they have been scammed, they can contact the financial institution and the scammer doesn't get their money. This is one of the reasons many scammers now ask the vulnerable scammed to provide payment with gift cards or other means not typically associated with a bank.

3.One other item to realize is that although a transfer may show up in someone's account almost instantaneously, the financial institution will often put a hold on that amount for up to 7 days.    I transfer funds between banks all the time and the bank receiving these funds puts a hold on those funds. For example. I have $3000 at a bank and transfer in $2000.  I do not have access to the full $5000 for 7 days, but I can access any of the original $3000, provided it has been there for a period of time specified by the bank.

As stated here by several people, you can keep banging your head against this wall, or you can accept that financial institutions (and Rogers a major corporation) are not going to change their policies because you want them to.  They have valid reasons for operating the way they do.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I have only had this happen with Rogers once.  It was because the due date was on a weekend or holiday and something in Rogers system failed, so it ended up a day "late". I contacted Rogers and the interest charge was deducted from my next bill, no problem.  All bills I have that are not automatic bank deductions I schedule as post dated transactions on the due date. The only organization I've had trouble with is my PC Financial credit card, where their system would jump the gun at midnight maybe a split second before the electronic transfer arrived. 

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I noticed the following on my recent bill:

We are making some changes that will impact how you pay your Rogers bill. These changes will take effect on your next bill.

1. Increasing flexibility when you pay through a financial institution:
    When you pay your Rogers bill through a financial institution, your bill will be considered paid on time when your payment is made by the required payment date. This means you will no longer have to allow additional time for payment processing.

2. Payment Date Changes:
    Your Rogers bill payment date is changing. The new required payment date will be 21 days after your bill date. To see the required payment date of your current bill login to your MyRogers account at rogers.com/myrogers

If you have set up Autopay for your Rogers bill payments, the above changes do not impact you.

If you have any questions, please reach out to us in any of the ways listed in the Contact Us section of this bill or visit us at rogers.com/billing.

How To Pay Your Rogers Bill

There are many convenient options to pay your bill.

The fastest and easiest way is by setting up automatic payments from your chequing account or credit card.

To get started, go to rogers.com/automatic-payments or use the MyRogers app.

You can also make one-time payments every month:
- By signing in to your MyRogers account on
rogers.com or the MyRogers app.
- By using our interactive phone system: dial *CARD (*2273) for free from your Rogers wireless device or 1-888- ROGERS-1.
- At most major Canadian financial institutions. Please allow 2 to 5 business days for your payment to reach us.

If we do not receive payment by the Required Payment Date, it will be subject to a late payment charge of 3% per month. This late payment charge will accrue on a daily basis and will be calculated and compounded monthly on the outstanding amount (42.58% per year) from the date of the first bill on which it appears until the date we receive that amount in full.

To see our complete terms of service, visit rogers.com/ terms or contact us.

I fully agree. The due date is the due date.

Rogers has now decided to start charging late fees after 21 days of your billing cycle. If you're on a 30 day billing cycle, I didn't even realize this was legal. Credit cards don't arbitrarily do this. This is nickel and diming the customers!

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
For whatever reason, my billing cycle and due date has stayed the same (near end of the month).

I'm still on digital legacy, and tend to pay a week or two in advance, so perhaps that's why nothing has changed.

If I want to pay my bill on the actual due date, I just use the Rogers website to avoid any possible late fee.

Sincerely,
Bill me later

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 8 in conversation