cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID to upgrade

Gm84
I've been here awhile
I've had a Rogers account for something like 10-12 years. I went in to get a new phone today, and was told that I couldn't use my health card as ID, even though I have used it every other time in this store. Ok, fine, I don't carry my physical passport with me but have a picture of it on my phone. That wasn't good enough. They refused credit cards, a bill with my address, a picture of the passport, the health card, and every other piece of ID I had on me. I've never had so many problems, and it's not like I was trying to open anything new, just upgrade my phone. I have the account, the pin, all the info, tons of other ID, and I'm not changing the plan so why make it so difficult?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: ID to upgrade

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have a Driver's License?  If you do you are able to use that as a recognised photo ID.

However if you do not drive a car and do not have a License, you should be able to use your Ontario Photo ID card as a sufficient Photo ID.

The reason they do not accept OHIP cards as photo ID is the Ontario ministry of health has said so themselves not to show your OHIP to anyone other than a medical practitioner. Yes they may have accepted it in the past but the Ministry sets the rules not Rogers or the local convenience stores or other stores in your area that accepted it in the past

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have a Driver's License?  If you do you are able to use that as a recognised photo ID.

However if you do not drive a car and do not have a License, you should be able to use your Ontario Photo ID card as a sufficient Photo ID.

The reason they do not accept OHIP cards as photo ID is the Ontario ministry of health has said so themselves not to show your OHIP to anyone other than a medical practitioner. Yes they may have accepted it in the past but the Ministry sets the rules not Rogers or the local convenience stores or other stores in your area that accepted it in the past

Gm84
I've been here awhile
I'm waiting for my purple card to come in, but that's 6-8 weeks. My phone is broken now, not in 6-8 weeks. I understand why the health card wasn't accepted but why refuse everything else I offered including the picture of my passport? Nobody carries their actual passport to run errands.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

correct that no body carries their passport around all the time to run errands, but we also live in a world where our information and identity is often at risk of being stolen.  Would u want someone to walk into a rogers store with a credit card you dropped or lost and try to buy a phone/open a line under your name with no other type of checks and balances? no you would not.

When you are anticipating to do such transaction like upgrade a phone or open a new bank account or sing a mortgage, then yes that should be the time you would carry sufficient photo id like drivers license or passport, n one is telling you to carry it all the time.  also pictures can be manipulated with photo shop so this is why a photo of the passport is not acceptable.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

The website says it takes 4-6 weeks for the Ontario photo card to arrive, but the agent taking the picture said it should only take a month ... But it often arrives in 2-3 weeks, even in October or November.
Perhaps you'll get yours in record time ... Perhaps on Nov. 10, just before the poppy day mail holiday ... I forgot what it's called. 🌸

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation