cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Auto and roaming fees

PL231
I've been around

When I am in the USA and use Android Auto Google Maps, do I get charged that $12/day roaming fee if I keep my mobile data on? Is it using my phone's data or GPS satellite?

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Android Auto and roaming fees

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It will use your phone's data.  I avoid these charges by using the Offline maps on Google Maps and downloading appropriate locations to my phone before leaving.  These are not as detailed as when you're using data and you will also not have live traffic, however, I find it perfectly adequate and always check using WiFi before leaving a location that has WiFi, since you then have "live" access via WiFi.  It also only works for driving, so if you're taking transit or walking, you need to do that while connected to WiFi, but even then, when I'm walking and don't have WiFi at the start of my walk, I can see the "driving" map and use it just fine.

If you wish to avoid roaming charges, see the following link:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Roaming-like-home/m-p/518044/highlight/true#M3...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Android Auto and roaming fees

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It will use your phone's data.  I avoid these charges by using the Offline maps on Google Maps and downloading appropriate locations to my phone before leaving.  These are not as detailed as when you're using data and you will also not have live traffic, however, I find it perfectly adequate and always check using WiFi before leaving a location that has WiFi, since you then have "live" access via WiFi.  It also only works for driving, so if you're taking transit or walking, you need to do that while connected to WiFi, but even then, when I'm walking and don't have WiFi at the start of my walk, I can see the "driving" map and use it just fine.

If you wish to avoid roaming charges, see the following link:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Roaming-like-home/m-p/518044/highlight/true#M3...

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 in conversation