cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sound, no sound, sound, no sound,

igiveup
I plan to stick around

Legacy TV, old mountain cable system. New box arrived yesterday, tech set it up, tested signal, said we have strong signal.  Good.

After he left, we noticed channels with no sound.  You can hop around, other channels are fine. 

Turn the box off, and back on, sometimes sound shows up on the quiet channel but,   Not always. 

Tv is only audio output, and it was not a problem until new box arrived. 

It is connected to hdmi 1 .  Brand new cable from the tech.  

Any suggestions as to what to try?  It is ongoing.  Over a day so far, not clearing up on its' own. 

I will also mention, sometimes we have sound and it goes away......and comes back,,,,and so on....

Kind of frustrating. 

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: sound, no sound, sound, no sound,

igiveup
I plan to stick around

Television HDMI ports all passing through video but not audio.  Motherboard broken somewhere.  

New TV, new HDMI ports, now have sound.  So not a bad box. 

Our confusion arose with the fact that the coaxial hook up passes through video and sound.  So assumed that the sound was working, which it was up to the new box.  Nextbox does not have coaxial output.  I would have to guess two separate systems once on the motherboard of the TV.  

Technician hooked up a laptop computer and tried to play a video, confirmed his thought that the hdmi ports were not functional with audio.  

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like you may have a poor connection.  Rather than it being the cable, it may be the HDMI port on the box itself.  Try unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable at both ends, perhaps swapping the ends so that the end that was at the TV is now at the box.  Make sure the HDMI cable is well inserted and properly supported so that it has a good contact.  These boxes are pretty old and probably refurbished.

Also rather than simply turning the box on/off, try unplugging it for a few seconds, then replug and let it reboot.

What is the make/model of the box?  What is the audio output setting in the box?  DD5.1?  Stereo?

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

Better to have no sound, than no picture, since should be easier to troubleshoot and solve.

Try changing to HDMI 2 slot to see if that stops your audio issues.

If it's a PVR box, make sure to stop all recordings, and reboot the box twice. Pull the plug for 30 seconds each time.

When the box is finished rebooting, or you just have a regular box, press the menu button and check the audio settings. Try Other, instead of Dolby digital. For Audio Range choose Narrow. For Volume Control, choose Fixed. For Described Video choose Disabled.

Whenever you have no sound on a channel, press the Info button, and choose More . .. then choose audio selection and switch it to DVS English to see if that gives you sound. If it does, that probably means Rogers has an audio problem. Otherwise, the no audio issue can occasionally be triggered when you record a channel, while one or more channels are also recording ( a double reboot would fix that problem), although if it's a PVR recording issue, the channels you are not recording will have black screens and no audio, so I doubt that your problem is related to a PVR glitch. But if you notice no sound on a channel, try recording it to see if the recording somehow has sound (it shouldn't).

After all that, if still having problems, you can always call tech support and have them send a signal to your box, and also test a channel that you currently have no sound on.

Plus, if you are using a sound bar, etc , remove it and see if that fixes your audio issues.

Can you hear me now? How about now? Testing, 123. 🎶🎤

igiveup
I plan to stick around

Thank you for the late night advice.  I don't know the box off hand, it is at my mothers house, I will attempt your suggestions tomorrow.  The sound setting, would either have been done by the tech, or factory. 

I will look into it.  It is just odd, it comes and goes. At first I thought it was the Standard def, channels, but it is HD channels as well.  I did not try a reboot yet.  Might start there.  I will get back to you with a more complete answer.  Thanks again. 

igiveup
I plan to stick around

Thank you for the reply and advice. 

I am working on my mothers tv, so not with it at the moment.  I will give your suggestions a try tomorrow and let you know how I make out.  I appreciate the tips.  This self fixing trouble shooting service guy job is not my thing. 

I appreciate the details you have provided, I know nothing of these things you mentioned.  

Thanks again.  I will let you know how we make out. 

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
Because the sound comes and goes, it could be just a loose connection somewhere (HDMI cable, etc ). The HDMI cable could be faulty, even though the tech brought it.

The Resident Experts here are very good at solving audio issues, so you could mention the make and model of the TV being used, in case a TV setting is somehow adding to the problem.

igiveup
I plan to stick around

I will go find out, thanks.  I know it is an LG and plazma.  I am not sure how old it is, but not new. 

It does have hdmi.  Sound was not an issue with old now defunkt cable box.  This is new since Friday and the new box.  I will get some model numbers, and try the ideas above shortly.  

igiveup
I plan to stick around

Box is a DCX700-M  by motorola .  I believe refurbished.  

TV is an LG 37LB4D  ( 37LB4DS )

There are no external speaker bars etc.  Just the TV which has stereo speakers. 

There is sometimes sound, but it just goes away.  Mostly no sound. 

All channels.  Picture is fine. 

Switched the HDMI cable end for end.  No change. 

Switched to HDMI 2 and 3  on the TV input,  No change. 

Went for a drive to get a new cable, spent 20 bucks on what I hope was a not bad cable,  No change. 

Tried AV1 with red/white/yellow cable for something to do,  No change. 

It did have sound when the tech plugged it in on Friday.  The sound sometimes shows up when you change a channel, but then goes away. There is considerably less sound today.  

I did go to Audio settings, there are none that you spoke of.  ie 5.1  and  other .  No such options on the settings menu for the nextbox. 

There was the option of English or french or channel ..... we went back and forth from channel to English with no change. 

Called the technician.  Confirmed the box number, he has no explanation.  Hope to hear from them that the box might be a refurb defective that was not caught when tested, and get another box to try. 

Four weeks to this point.  

They have sent two 4K boxes that don't work on this cable in our area, then tried to send a box they don't have, then tried to send another box they don't have, and after waiting for ten days, we called them up and found that order was pending and all fields blank.  Then they sent out a tech with the nextbox presently not working. 

I don't know how many hours so far, but a conservative number would 12 trying to get them to get this right. 

And now you know how I came up with my username. 

If you see anything that I may have missed, for sure let me know, I think we are waiting to see if a tec will attend the house and try another box, but that is not confirmed yet, they say they will be in touch. 

Thanks again for the advice.  

igiveup
I plan to stick around

Sorry, forgot to mention the reboot.  Three tries.  Maybe four.  Nothing. 

igiveup
I plan to stick around

I am replying to two members with same message, Not sure if you see the other message I replied to or not.

If I am duplicating too much, my apologies. 

I did try the reboot.  Three or four times.  No change. 

Box is a DCX700-M  by motorola .  I believe refurbished.  

TV is an LG 37LB4D  ( 37LB4DS )

There are no external speaker bars etc.  Just the TV which has stereo speakers. 

There is sometimes sound, but it just goes away.  Mostly no sound. 

All channels.  Picture is fine. 

Switched the HDMI cable end for end.  No change. 

Switched to HDMI 2 and 3  on the TV input,  No change. 

Went for a drive to get a new cable, spent 20 bucks on what I hope was a not bad cable,  No change. 

Tried AV1 with red/white/yellow cable for something to do,  No change. 

It did have sound when the tech plugged it in on Friday.  The sound sometimes shows up when you change a channel, but then goes away. There is considerably less sound today.  

I did go to Audio settings, there are none that you spoke of.  ie 5.1  and  other .  No such options on the settings menu for the nextbox. 

There was the option of English or french or channel ..... we went back and forth from channel to English with no change. 

Called the technician.  Confirmed the box number, he has no explanation.  Hope to hear from them that the box might be a refurb defective that was not caught when tested, and get another box to try. 

He also went through the setting menu with me and saw no options to change to affect the sound. 

Four weeks to this point.  

They have sent two 4K boxes that don't work on this cable in our area, then tried to send a box they don't have, then tried to send another box they don't have, and after waiting for ten days, we called them up and found that order was pending and all fields blank.  Then they sent out a tech with the nextbox presently not working. 

I don't know how many hours so far, but a conservative number would 12 trying to get them to get this right. 

And now you know how I came up with my username. 

If you see anything that I may have missed, for sure let me know, I think we are waiting to see if a tec will attend the house and try another box, but that is not confirmed yet, they say they will be in touch. 

Thanks again for the advice. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@igiveup wrote:

1. I am replying to two members with same message, Not sure if you see the other message I replied to or not.  If I am duplicating too much, my apologies. 

2. Tried AV1 with red/white/yellow cable for something to do,  No change. 

1. There is no need to post the same message twice in the same thread.  We see them no issue.

2. The fact that the AV1 output also has the audio issue means that there is very likely an issue with the box because the red/white cables are analogue audio and stereo.

3. There should be an audio output option as indicated in the following link for LPCM instead of Auto, but since the AV1 output didn't work, this may not make any difference either.  Getting into the user menu is outlined near the top of the wiki page.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Setup#Additional_HDMI_Settings

4. Thank you for trying all the other things.  Sounds like a bad box.

igiveup
I plan to stick around

Television HDMI ports all passing through video but not audio.  Motherboard broken somewhere.  

New TV, new HDMI ports, now have sound.  So not a bad box. 

Our confusion arose with the fact that the coaxial hook up passes through video and sound.  So assumed that the sound was working, which it was up to the new box.  Nextbox does not have coaxial output.  I would have to guess two separate systems once on the motherboard of the TV.  

Technician hooked up a laptop computer and tried to play a video, confirmed his thought that the hdmi ports were not functional with audio.  

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation