cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I keep Digital TV and have only Internet and Home Phone be Ignite

Hwaiting
I plan to stick around

Hi,

My phone line is with Bell and use to be supplied using traditional phone wiring.  It started having some probs (they said the wiring leading to the house was shorting) and since I had a fiber drop coming to the house, they switched my phone service to fiber.  I now have this huge Home Hub 4000 just for phone (I kinda feel like it's a Bell trojan horse lol).  I got it installed on the 2nd floor near my Rogers modem as if I do convert to Bell, I didn't want the box in the basement.  It means all my phone jacks are now useless but I've got one of those cordless phones with multiple bases so it doesn't matter.

Anyways, I have Rogers Digital TV and supposedly Ignite Internet (my bill says "Ignite" for internet) but my modem is the CODA-4582 so I'm not sure if it's true "Ignite" for the internet.  Now that my phone is via the internet, I'm thinking of migrating it over to Rogers.

My question is: would I be able to keep Digital TV with only my Internet and Home Phone being part of the "Ignite" service?  I imagine this would simply involve me picking up one of the newer modems that has the telephone jack in the back and plugging my main phone there.  Nothing ever seems that simple though.  I can't even find any "Ignite" home phone pricing or plans that are not part of a bundle that includes Ignite TV and Internet.  Again, keeping Digital TV is a must.

Thanks for any assistance.

*** Edited Labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Can I keep Digital TV and have only Internet and Home Phone be Ignite

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a feeling that once you go to an actual ignite internet the real ignite with the unified gateways, you can NOT keep your digital TV, this is due to the fact the real ignite uses a different account number than the traditional rogers internet hence different hardware too.   the reason you dont see home phone plans or pricing is because I was told home phone is included no charge with an ignite bundle, even if u dont use it or dont need it.

your better off with one unified solution for home phone, internet and television and having the ignite will probably solve it for you.  otherwise you can go with the competition which you are already a home phone customer of theirs.

By the way, your current phone setup, you said all the phone jacks are useless and your cordless base station is plugged into your current bell modem?   that is not entirely true,  and regardless of if it is bell or rogers or any company, you can continue to connect the dialtone to all your jacks, your home phone does NOT have to be in the basement for this to work, it can be in any bedroom.  the way home phone jacks are wired, any jack can be used to give dialtone to all your jacks, even the nearest one in the upstairs part of your house provided they are all wired correctly and on the same pair

digitalcox
I'm here a lot

you certainly can have digital cable, ignite internet and home phone. it would be better for you to have the traditional home phone setup not the ignite one because when the electricity goes with ignite home phone, the service is gone immediately, on the traditional home phone, when the electricity goes, you keep phone service for about 4 hours on battery backup, plus you get the distinct ringtones for local, long distance calls, not available on ignite home phone. please note you would need to do this as 3 separate services on your bill, they no longer offer bundles involving digital cable. you don't have to give up digital cable, the home phone would be about 80 dollars a month if you want canada-us long distance and 6 features, about 10 dollars cheaper with local calling and 6 features, or about 55 dollars a month for local calling with no features, or about 65 a month with 2 features and local calling, internet about 120 a month, whatever your current cable package is, add them up and you have your total price per month, BE DETERMINED TO GET WHAT YOU WANT HOW YOU WANT IT, GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@digitalcox wrote:

you certainly can have digital cable, ignite internet and home phone. it would be better for you to have the traditional home phone setup not the ignite one because when the electricity goes with ignite home phone, the service is gone immediately, on the traditional home phone, when the electricity goes, you keep phone service for about 4 hours on battery backup, 

I have a couple of comments:

1. The backup batteries at the node are no longer maintained (replaced) by Rogers because they are very expensive and are often stolen. Therefore if there is a power failure, even with Digital Cable (Rogers Home Phone), the UPS (battery backup) at your home is useless because no signal gets to your home. This is happening with more and more customers, although there may be some small areas where home phone may work for a while when there is a local power failure. The only way to increase reliability is with a cell phone, which most people already have.  My Rogers Home Phone has been going down with even the briefest power failures for many years already (5-10).  I have the battery in the phone  modem and it's plugged into a UPS.

2. You would need to call Rogers to see if you are allowed do what you want.  Rogers is not providing "mixed services" as they are migrating everyone to the IgniteTV service with a gateway instead of separate devices for phone, internet and TV.  It may be possible to obtain a gateway to use for your home phone, but that is usually difficult and may no longer be allowed by Rogers. 

3. As mentioned, the latest pricing to stay on legacy digital cable is also typically high enough to "incentivize" most people to migrate to IgniteTV (IPTV) as discussed in this forum many times.  Also, features and channels on Legacy Digital Cable are being removed, again incentivizing people to migrate to IgniteTV (IPTV).  Rogers is making it quite difficult for most people to stay on the Legacy Digital Cable platform.  It's not in Rogers' interest and eventually everyone will be on IgniteTV.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree, last I heard, they put a Stop Sell on Digital TV and Digital home phone.  even if you do something like order ignite internet, the activation will cease to complete unless you migrate your TV Services.   even if you manage to get Ignite internet and keep your digital TV,  rogers controls the signal down the line into your house and can easily turn off older technologies.   Remember, this is their company, Their decision to stop selling digital TV, they are free to do what ever they want and when ever they want.  As a consumer your at the mercy of their decisions.

Hwaiting
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think once I'm forced to upgrade to Ignite (or when members of the household are ready to adopt to the new technology), I'll make the move to group TV/Internet/Home Phone on the new platforms (whether that be with Ignite or Fibe).  I just wish Rogers would come around with an Android TV app like Bell so I would not have to rent so much hardware (something I think a lot of people have been hoping for).

scooter007
I've been here awhile

I have Rogers Ignite intenet and digital TV.....not in a bundle. I think if you want to bundle Rogers will try to make you get Ignite TV also.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

It is always complicated when you have TV, Internet and Telecom services by different suppliers. I had phone and dial-up internet from my local phone company (North Norwich Telephones, which later became Execulink) and Rogers Cable TV.  When Rogers announced Ignite I looked into it, but the cost was quite a bit more and I didn't want to switch ISPs and lose my email address I had registered on hundreds of sites.  It was a good decision because a couple of years ago my ISP put fibre in our subdivision.  They also had IPTV, so I made the switch and cancelled Rogers Digital Cable because even my grandfathered VIP with its hundreds of channels didn't have  Fox News and some other channels I wanted to watch.  Now my only Rogers service is a Pay-As-You-Go cellphone.

But as @57 said, I would recommend keeping one hard wired connection for your home phone. When your power goes out, and there's been a lot of that happening lately, your cordless phones are dead. I have my phone outlets connected to my ONT (Optical Network Terminal, similar to your Home Hub 4000) and it has about 8 hours battery backup, so I can call the Hydro outage number for updates or anyone else.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 in conversation