Strange email from Rogers about payment due

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gvo
I Plan to Stick Around

Strange email from Rogers about payment due

Hi 

I hope someone can figure out this for me, i received an email from rogers@e.rogers.com  , the email is very strange it says:

This is a friendly reminder that there is a balance on your bill due , for your account ending in .Use our quick and easy payment options, at www.rogers.com/make-a-payment, or via the MyRogers app.You can also sign up to one of our convenient automatic payment options. Sign up today so you can set it and forget it!If you’ve already made the payment, please disregard this notice and accept our thanks.

the email doesn't show amount, doesn't show account number as well, i am wondering is this a fraud or one of my account has error that system sending me this email? i tried to call rogers asked two agents from billing, one told me there was an auto email sent but it is error one told me there was no email sent? i am very confused hope someone here can help me clarify what is this email about, is it possible it is a fraud that someone create an account under my name that i don't know? thanks 

**Labels Added**

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Strange email from Rogers about payment due

@gvo  Mine were not email notifications.  They were text messages on my mobile device, and the only messages from that source are ones informing me that my latest bill was now available along with the occasional "friendly reminder".

If you are still concerned, go to https://about.rogers.com/cyber-security/frauds-and-scams/

Under I would like to report... "Phishing or spam emails that appear to be sent from Rogers/Fido", it says to forward the (suspicious) email message to abuse@rogers.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo  I have received text messages like that regarding my mobile account.  It was longer, and included a reminder that "Bank payments can take up to 5 business days" to get processed.  As far as I can tell, they are totally legit... and you can ignore the message if you pay you bill online (on time) by credit card.

@CommunityHelps  FYI, the original post also contains links from the email message that are potentially personal.

gvo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi -G-

thanks for prompt reply but my case a bit different from you, because there is no amount of due listed in email and no account number as well, very strange,  i don't even know from which account this email was sent to me, thats the reason i am concerning maybe someone opened account under my name without my acknowledge , i have read some posts here actually it could happen.  that's why i am seeking a bit more clarification here if anyone can help me ,, but still thanks for sharing your experience. 

Thanks 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo wrote:

Hi -G-

thanks for prompt reply but my case a bit different from you, because there is no amount of due listed in email and no account number as well, very strange,  i don't even know from which account this email was sent to me, thats the reason i am concerning maybe someone opened account under my name without my acknowledge , i have read some posts here actually it could happen.  that's why i am seeking a bit more clarification here if anyone can help me ,, but still thanks for sharing your experience. 

For mine, the "Friendly reminder" email only included the payment due date, not the account number or the amount due.

A previous message, which came from the same source and said, "Your latest bill is now available", DID include the Account #, Bill Total, and Payment Due Date.

I have only received a few "Friendly reminder" messages, randomly, not every month, even though I have always paid my bills on time and my payment patterns had not changed.

If the payment due date in the "Friendly reminder" matches the one in the "latest bill now available" message, I would not be concerned.  You don't need to click on the links or take any action.  Just continue to pay your bill as you always do.

gvo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi - G-

thanks for sharing more info but I don't even have due date in email, the email only says the due date is almost there. i pay my monthly bill on time every month just like you and never received this kind of email before , this is the first time i receive such email ,and i was a victim of  id theft back in 2017 it makes me more alert if i see anything suspicious . 

thanks for your prompt reply 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo wrote:

thanks for sharing more info but I don't even have due date in email, the email only says the due date is almost there.

I double-checked my last "friendly reminder" message and it looked like it was not even quite populated correctly.  It said, "...due on  for your account ending in dd-MON-2021.  If you've recently...".

"due on" had two spaces following, so the date should have been inserted there, and "account ending in" was followed by the date.

It came from the same source as the "your latest bill is now available" message and the dates in both messages match.  I never really paid much attention to the "friendly reminder" and just paid my bill as usual.

gvo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi G

thanks for continuing sharing, looks like these emails or text messages are very confusing as you mentioned you paid on time every month but still got them once a while and the format has issues  . However you do give me a hint that it should come from same source i have checked it is not in my case, usually i received email of bill is ready from  donotreply@rci.rogers.com  , almost everything comes from that email , bill is ready, thank for your payment such as, but this email of reminder comes from rogers@e.rogers.com.  is this  a legit email used by rogers different department or by rogers in old time before they changed their system,  i think they just created myrogers and integrated everything last year ? 

appreciate your post 

thanks 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo  Mine were not email notifications.  They were text messages on my mobile device, and the only messages from that source are ones informing me that my latest bill was now available along with the occasional "friendly reminder".

If you are still concerned, go to https://about.rogers.com/cyber-security/frauds-and-scams/

Under I would like to report... "Phishing or spam emails that appear to be sent from Rogers/Fido", it says to forward the (suspicious) email message to abuse@rogers.com

View solution in original post

gvo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi G

thanks, i will go to report,

and  if anyone has same experience welcome to share, i hope this is just a normal system glitch from rogers that sending this email to me , also if someone can tell if the email rogers@e.rogers.com is legit or not i would appreciate, thanks 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo wrote:

if someone can tell if the email rogers@e.rogers.com is legit or not i would appreciate, thanks 

I have numerous marketing emails from Rogers that got sent from that address.  Here's the From: line:

Previously, those messages got sent from "Rogers" <noreply@enews.rogers.com>

and they all contain the same List-ID in the headers.

However From: lines are easily spoofed so you still need to look at the raw email message and find the originating IP address of the sender.  In my case, they originated from 13.111.122.165, which actually belongs to salesforce.com , and their systems sent the marketing emails on behalf of Rogers.

My Rogers billing emails get sent from: Rogers <notifications@rci.rogers.com>

They don't all originate from the same IP address but they all look something like 24.114.255.90, which belongs to Rogers.