cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange email from Rogers about payment due

gvo
I plan to stick around

Hi 

I hope someone can figure out this for me, i received an email from rogers@e.rogers.com  , the email is very strange it says:

This is a friendly reminder that there is a balance on your bill due , for your account ending in .Use our quick and easy payment options, at www.rogers.com/make-a-payment, or via the MyRogers app.You can also sign up to one of our convenient automatic payment options. Sign up today so you can set it and forget it!If you’ve already made the payment, please disregard this notice and accept our thanks.

the email doesn't show amount, doesn't show account number as well, i am wondering is this a fraud or one of my account has error that system sending me this email? i tried to call rogers asked two agents from billing, one told me there was an auto email sent but it is error one told me there was no email sent? i am very confused hope someone here can help me clarify what is this email about, is it possible it is a fraud that someone create an account under my name that i don't know? thanks 

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Strange email from Rogers about payment due

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo  Mine were not email notifications.  They were text messages on my mobile device, and the only messages from that source are ones informing me that my latest bill was now available along with the occasional "friendly reminder".

If you are still concerned, go to https://about.rogers.com/cyber-security/frauds-and-scams/

Under I would like to report... "Phishing or spam emails that appear to be sent from Rogers/Fido", it says to forward the (suspicious) email message to abuse@rogers.com

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo  I have received text messages like that regarding my mobile account.  It was longer, and included a reminder that "Bank payments can take up to 5 business days" to get processed.  As far as I can tell, they are totally legit... and you can ignore the message if you pay you bill online (on time) by credit card.

@CommunityHelps  FYI, the original post also contains links from the email message that are potentially personal.

gvo
I plan to stick around

Hi -G-

thanks for prompt reply but my case a bit different from you, because there is no amount of due listed in email and no account number as well, very strange,  i don't even know from which account this email was sent to me, thats the reason i am concerning maybe someone opened account under my name without my acknowledge , i have read some posts here actually it could happen.  that's why i am seeking a bit more clarification here if anyone can help me ,, but still thanks for sharing your experience. 

Thanks 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo wrote:

Hi -G-

thanks for prompt reply but my case a bit different from you, because there is no amount of due listed in email and no account number as well, very strange,  i don't even know from which account this email was sent to me, thats the reason i am concerning maybe someone opened account under my name without my acknowledge , i have read some posts here actually it could happen.  that's why i am seeking a bit more clarification here if anyone can help me ,, but still thanks for sharing your experience. 

For mine, the "Friendly reminder" email only included the payment due date, not the account number or the amount due.

A previous message, which came from the same source and said, "Your latest bill is now available", DID include the Account #, Bill Total, and Payment Due Date.

I have only received a few "Friendly reminder" messages, randomly, not every month, even though I have always paid my bills on time and my payment patterns had not changed.

If the payment due date in the "Friendly reminder" matches the one in the "latest bill now available" message, I would not be concerned.  You don't need to click on the links or take any action.  Just continue to pay your bill as you always do.

gvo
I plan to stick around

Hi - G-

thanks for sharing more info but I don't even have due date in email, the email only says the due date is almost there. i pay my monthly bill on time every month just like you and never received this kind of email before , this is the first time i receive such email ,and i was a victim of  id theft back in 2017 it makes me more alert if i see anything suspicious . 

thanks for your prompt reply 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo wrote:

thanks for sharing more info but I don't even have due date in email, the email only says the due date is almost there.

I double-checked my last "friendly reminder" message and it looked like it was not even quite populated correctly.  It said, "...due on  for your account ending in dd-MON-2021.  If you've recently...".

"due on" had two spaces following, so the date should have been inserted there, and "account ending in" was followed by the date.

It came from the same source as the "your latest bill is now available" message and the dates in both messages match.  I never really paid much attention to the "friendly reminder" and just paid my bill as usual.

gvo
I plan to stick around

Hi G

thanks for continuing sharing, looks like these emails or text messages are very confusing as you mentioned you paid on time every month but still got them once a while and the format has issues  . However you do give me a hint that it should come from same source i have checked it is not in my case, usually i received email of bill is ready from  donotreply@rci.rogers.com  , almost everything comes from that email , bill is ready, thank for your payment such as, but this email of reminder comes from rogers@e.rogers.com.  is this  a legit email used by rogers different department or by rogers in old time before they changed their system,  i think they just created myrogers and integrated everything last year ? 

appreciate your post 

thanks 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo  Mine were not email notifications.  They were text messages on my mobile device, and the only messages from that source are ones informing me that my latest bill was now available along with the occasional "friendly reminder".

If you are still concerned, go to https://about.rogers.com/cyber-security/frauds-and-scams/

Under I would like to report... "Phishing or spam emails that appear to be sent from Rogers/Fido", it says to forward the (suspicious) email message to abuse@rogers.com

gvo
I plan to stick around

Hi G

thanks, i will go to report,

and  if anyone has same experience welcome to share, i hope this is just a normal system glitch from rogers that sending this email to me , also if someone can tell if the email rogers@e.rogers.com is legit or not i would appreciate, thanks 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gvo wrote:

if someone can tell if the email rogers@e.rogers.com is legit or not i would appreciate, thanks 

I have numerous marketing emails from Rogers that got sent from that address.  Here's the From: line:

Previously, those messages got sent from "Rogers" <noreply@enews.rogers.com>

and they all contain the same List-ID in the headers.

However From: lines are easily spoofed so you still need to look at the raw email message and find the originating IP address of the sender.  In my case, they originated from 13.111.122.165, which actually belongs to salesforce.com , and their systems sent the marketing emails on behalf of Rogers.

My Rogers billing emails get sent from: Rogers <notifications@rci.rogers.com>

They don't all originate from the same IP address but they all look something like 24.114.255.90, which belongs to Rogers.

waking
I'm here a lot

I received one of those emails today Aug 27 as well.
It shows no amount, no due date and no account info.

I paid the current bill on Aug 5 and received a
confirmation email on Aug 6. Recent sessions at
MyRogers have all shown a zero balance.

This is the first time I have ever received one of
these emails claiming that payment is due when it
isn't.

There is clearly something amiss in the account
processing.

As the email contains links supposedly going to a
page to make a payment, and to a page to sign up
for automatic payments, it has all of the "red flags"
of a phishing attempt. If it is validly from Rogers
then they need to be more attentive to the public
image that is being created.

While ignoring these massages is an option, that
rarely leads to a correction at the origins.

I am doubly alarmed by such communications as I have
recently been getting messages claiming that my
username at MyRogers does not match my email address
when it is in fact an exact match and has been
for years.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@waking  Is your next Rogers bill payment due on the days immediately following the Labour Day long weekend?  If so, this might just be a reminder to factor in a few more days for a bank payment to go through.

waking
I'm here a lot

>Is your next Rogers bill payment due on the days
>immediately following the Labour Day long weekend?

No. The due date for the current bill - which was paid on
Aug 5 - is Aug 28. The next bill will be produced around
Sept 4-5 and will have a due date of Sept 28.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@waking  Okay, I have no clue then what business logic may have triggered this.

gvo
I plan to stick around

Hi Waking 

@waking You know what i have the same due date and i have paid on Aug 4th already, i think there is something glitch there in Rogers, as G mentioned the email address was sending marketing marterials , it is not the email sending billing information. furthermore i have made another call in afternoon, the agent can't find any email sent from any of my accounts. this is very strange, if the email is legit how can't agent find it? if there is some glitch i think Rogers need officially clarify it.

A side sorty about my calling, it was scaring, the agent checekd all my accounts and noticed there are some old deactive accounts and offer to delete but he overlooked my active internet account, almost get it delete by accident , it was not good experience at all. I don't want to say too much here but there is some glitch of the system, there is some calreless in service and there is a lot concern of saftyness

thanks for sharing experience

jays77
I'm a trusted contributor
I got one of those emails as well. On closer reading at the bottom of the notice it says if you have already paid your bill please ignore.

gvo
I plan to stick around

Hi Everyone,

again today i have received same email of balance reminder tell me there is a balance but  no due date, no account number, it was sent  from the same email address rogers@e.rogers.com. and again all of my rogers account are zero balance because  I have already made payment for all accounts this month. 

there is defiantly something wrong with my account or something wrong with rogers system, as per previous conversation this is not even a routine email address for billing purpose, it is only an email address sending marketing material before.

and again when I called rogers they don't see such email been sent from any of my accounts, isn't it weird? 

it is quite annoying  and dismissive, as I addressed before it could be some system glitches or maybe a potential security concerns. unfortunately my words didn't attract too much attention , and rogers is not showing interested in investigating, not really a good customer service.

xnileshx
I've been around

I received the same email with my name but no account number or amount due. I had sent this email to abuse@rogers.com about 2 months ago but got no response from Rogers. This Rogers forum suggests that the email might not be from Rogers which is concerning. Looking into email header it does seem to originate from

from=e.rogers.com
Received: from 13.111.122.165 (EHLO mta.e.rogers.com)

All the links on the email seem to be for that domain:

https://click.e.rogers.com

Rogers really need to confirm if this is legit or a phishing attempt.

gvo
I plan to stick around

exactly, but no one cares. and here they closed case without solution what i can say? 

mamu
I've been around

I think it's a scam. I have auto payments set up and still received the email. It had my name, account ending in the last 4 digits and a due date (but no amount owing).

What makes me think it's a scam is all the URLs when I hover over the links have www dot "e" dot rogers dot com. I went to one of the normal emails I got from rogers and it just has www.rogers.com for the same links like "contact us", "policy" and other links. So somehow I'm thinking rogers lost some client data somewhere along the line, since how would they get this information since I barely know it myself (especially the account number associated with my name). Interestingly I have multiple rogers accounts and the email the was sent to is not associated with this account. Definitely a scam.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mamu  Is this associated with a mobile/wireless account or your residential services?

I never receive billing reminders for my residential Ignite TV/Internet/Home Phone account but I DO get a legit "Friendly reminder" text 5 business days before my bill is due for my mobile service.

Topic Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 7 in conversation