cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers are really getting good at scamming

ybillurduran
I've been here awhile

There is a big fraud team related to rogers somehow, I believe these people coming from rogers because they are able to use rogers genuine phone numbers. This was the biggest fraud I had encountered for whole my life. So this my fraud story. I'll write the whole thing so other customers can be aware of it better.

They called me first from this number 6473732071 first and told me there was a discount offer on my bill payment, and they put me on hold to connect to an other agent. They said they couldn't connect me now, they would call me back later. Later they called me again this time from rogers genuine phone number, which is 8887643771. I believed I got a real call from rogers because of that number. They got my name, email, and address, which I later learnt that they wouldn't have asked that if they were real rogers agents, they would have had all the information that related to me (actually I'm still confused about it because real agents ask me my name, email, and address to validate me, I have no clue whom to trust). So they put me on hold again to get that discount and after we connected they said they added 2 lines on my account but nothing to worry, they gave me the discount as well, and they cancelled those lines already and sent me confirmation emails from notifications@rogers-mobility.ca which is a fraud.

They wanted me to delete the emails that I got from rogers, and I said no I wouldn't do it because they were the proofs that I could get hold onto. He wanted me to believe him and gave me his management name which was Erwin Noir, ID was AX6909E (which was a fraud because later I learned that real rogers agents use only numbers on their IDs), phone was 8253600230 (this number is not valid anymore). They lied to me that they would give me a gift phone, and that's why I got suspicious more. But as I said that was the reason I believed them because they called me from rogers genuine phone number. And I later contacted the customer agents from chat. I told the lady this thing seemed so suspicious to me. And she told me she was not seeing any gift phone order but she couldn't say it was a fraud or not, it could be coming from a management team. So I believed them again. I asked her what to do, she told me that I shouldn't accept the delivery, and they will be returned to rogers if I don't accept them. So I'm coming to the second part of my story now.

I didn't accept it at the first attempt of delivery. But rogers called me again from this number 8667272141 which was rogers genuine business account number. So I believed them again because these phone numbers are the real rogers numbers. His name was Brain and his number was 8254650195, he told me to call him from this number in case I encounter with a problem. He told me that I needed to accept delivery, and return them later. I wish I didn't believe him. I believed him because he kept calling me from rogers business account phone number. I even told him one of you was saying I shouldn't accept it, you were saying accept it, I was upset and confused. But I ended up doing what he said because of that stupid real rogers phone numbers. He sent me purolator return labels from notifications@rogers-mobility.ca, I printed them and returned the packages that I got. And today I realized that those packages went to Edmonton, Alberta, which they didn't come to me from that address. They came to me from Oakville, Ontario. I found out that later. They probably used me to give those brand new phones to them, not rogers itself. I'm still in shock.

I learned everything today by calling the rogers customer service which is that same number again 🙂 I spent 2 weeks for them to get cancelled. They cancelled them today and we all understood that it was all fraud, they created a fraud case on behalf of me. They told me I'm not going to be charged on those lines, but we'll see what will happen on my next billing cycle. I'm still so confused, how they would get access on our accounts, they could add new lines, new phones using rogers real phone numbers, and their database. They are really well disguised. I feel so stupid.

So a lesson for other customers, please don't believe agents even if they call you from genuine rogers numbers. Don't share your information. Don't pickup their calls, don't chase after discount offers. That will be the thing I would do from now on because there is no proper way to distinguish which one is fraud which one is not. Be careful out there!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Scammers are really getting good at scamming

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ybillurduran wrote:

There is a big fraud team related to rogers somehow, I believe these people coming from rogers because they are able to use rogers genuine phone numbers. 

This does not need to be the case since scammers can spoof any phone number they want.  Search for spoofing on the web and also check out the following scamming tips:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud/tkb-p/ScamFraudNotifications@tkb

You are certainly correct that scammers are getting more and more sophisticated. This is why I never engage with "telemarketers" or door to door sales people. They do not have your best interests at heart, only their own.  I only discuss items when I initiate the call or I go to known website using my login credentials.

I also never answer any calls when the phone number is not in my phone's directory, although spoofing can circumvent that.  I still have home phone (Panasonic Cordless) so I have a distinctive ring set up for people in my directory and know to answer those calls if convenient and ignore any others.  Telemarketers rarely leave voicemail.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ybillurduran wrote:

There is a big fraud team related to rogers somehow, I believe these people coming from rogers because they are able to use rogers genuine phone numbers. 

This does not need to be the case since scammers can spoof any phone number they want.  Search for spoofing on the web and also check out the following scamming tips:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud/tkb-p/ScamFraudNotifications@tkb

You are certainly correct that scammers are getting more and more sophisticated. This is why I never engage with "telemarketers" or door to door sales people. They do not have your best interests at heart, only their own.  I only discuss items when I initiate the call or I go to known website using my login credentials.

I also never answer any calls when the phone number is not in my phone's directory, although spoofing can circumvent that.  I still have home phone (Panasonic Cordless) so I have a distinctive ring set up for people in my directory and know to answer those calls if convenient and ignore any others.  Telemarketers rarely leave voicemail.

Hailwrig3
I've been here awhile
This exact things just happened to me and now I’m frantically trying to get ahold of someone who actually works for Rogers because they sent me two phones after telling me I won an iPad mini and a discount of 30% of my current bill. They told me that it was a mistake that they sent the phones and that I had to ship the phones back to Rogers and then they sent me a shipping label and then I had to drive to fed ex and now I’m getting spammed by these numbers about why I was shipping it and then I got emails and I’m so lost at what to do because I never wanted a new phone I was only called about a discount on my existing account

@Hailwrig3 if you still have the phones, don't send them back to the address you were told to use.  That will be some address the scammers are using to deliver the phones to them.  You will end up with a bill for the phones on your Rogers bill that you will have to sort out with the Fraud dept.  

Immediately, as in now .... contact the moderators for assistance with this.  

@CommunityHelps is the group address for the moderators here on the Rogers Forum. When you're logged into the forum, follow this link to the @CommunityHelps. On that page will be a link on the right hand side to Send a Message. Follow that link to the message composition page. The address will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details, including your account number and when the message is complete, hit Send Message at the bottom.

When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying the envelope symbol at the upper right hand corner. That will indicate that there's an inbound message for you. Follow that envelope symbol as it serves as a link to the message inbox and outbox. From the response in the inbox you can then message back and forth as required. There will be an authentication procedure that you will have to complete in order to service any change requests for your account.

To send anyone else on the forum a message, including @CommunityHelps , hover your mouse over their user name and a popup will appear with a link to send a Private Message. Follow that Private Message link to the message composition page and as before the message addressee will fill in automatically. Fill in the subject and details and hit Send Message when you're ready to send the message.

While this is still fresh in your mind, write yourself a journal, detailing the events that have transpired so far.   Include any phone numbers that called you and the address that you were instructed to ship the phones to.  That might prove very useful if you decide to file a police report.  

Edit:  on a device that you trust, log into your Rogers Account and change your password and PIN to prevent the scammers from accessing your account.  While you're in there, check your personal details, name, address, phone number etc to ensure that they have not been changed.  Also look for any services that you did not order.  If so, that will have to be sorted out with Rogers Staff. 

Edit II:  If you're getting messages and calls regarding the phones, block the calling numbers and report them as spam.  For the time being, I would suggest that you restrict your conversations regarding the phones to the forum moderators or to Rogers staff, contacted thru phone numbers listed on the Rogers website. 

Don't be surprised if someone shows up at your door requesting (demanding) that you turn the phones over to him or her.  Tell the individual that you don't know what their talking about and close the door.  Take note of their physical appearance, the vehicle that they are driving and if possible the licence number of the vehicle.  It up to you, but I'd report them to the police as soon as possible after you close the door.  Who knows, perhaps the police will get lucky and locate the individual(s).  After that, its up to the police to deal with them. 

AnnaJoe788
I've been around
Same thing happened to me, asked me fore details, I provided coz it was a genuine Roger’s number. They had me hold the call for a while and later they said I won a phone. But then they asked for card details as a security question. That’s when I got suspicious. Why would they want my CVV. And the agent on the other end seemes irritated with my choice to not provide it. And I was sure it was a scam.
Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation