cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Media EBill

AlexandraSiklos
I've been here awhile

I received an email from Media.Ebill@rci.rogers.com to click a link to register for Ebill. Is this a scam? My bill usually comes to my My Rogers account. I'm hesitant to click the link as it looks like a virus. 

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Media EBill

Good day @AlexandraSiklos,

Thank you for posting to the Rogers Community!

In this day and age, I completely understand your concern regarding this type of situation. We all know someone who was victim of a certain kind of email phishing or smishing attempts.

First of all, I want to reassure you. The email address media.ebill@rci.rogers.com is legitimate. 

Are you a Rogers Media Customer?

Click on the image below to access the Media Ebill website, where you'll find more information and/or where to direct your inquiries:

Let us know if you have any other questions!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AlexandraSiklos I suspect its a phishing email, looking for unsuspecting recipients to click on the link and end up at some malware ridden site, or a site that looks like a Rogers site, requesting a login, in order to grab your login information.  

To determine the actual address that is behind the hyper-link, right click on the link, select Copy Link Address and paste that into notepad or some text editor.  That will show you the actual link destination.  It might be something that is totally different, but one would never suspect it given that it might look legit.  Only that link check will reveal the actual link address.  That's one of the problems with hyper-links, what it says as the address, and where it actually goes can be two entirely different sites.  

If I remember correctly, there is a Rogers email address for reporting scam email such as this.  Don't remember it at the moment.  Perhaps one of the forum staff can provide it.  On the other hand, once you have determined that the pasted email address leads the recipient off into a scammers web site, you can simply delete the email.  

When that's done, copy another word, such as "test" to overwrite the clipboard contents.  That will ensure that you can't accidentally paste the address into a web browser.  Highlight (select) "test", right click and copy.  Done.....

Thanks for the tip! When I copy the email into Text Edit it comes up as "media.ebill@rci.rogers.com" - so it appears legit, but the colour scheme and branding of the email are blue - very different from the typical Rogers email communication so something just feels off.

Don't copy the whole email, just the link itself.  I believe that copying the whole email will copy the visible text of the link, not the background address/location that remains hidden.  You have to right click on the link and select Copy Link Address/location in order to copy that hidden address.  Consider it as a second hidden field for hyper-links.  The first field being what you can see, and the second field remaining hidden, unless you go looking for it.  

Here's an example, hopefully it will paste in correctly.  The link looks like its for rogers.com, but the hidden link takes you to the community internet sub-forum.  You should be able to right click on the link to Copy the Link Address if this works correctly, and then paste it into a text editor to see the real address:

www.rogers.com

If you follow that link, it will take you to the Internet Sub forum.  I just tried it, so it does work.  It doesn't take you to https://www.rogers.com/ as this link should.  So this is an example of what happens with phishing messages.  The link indicates an address/location that looks legit, but the real underlying address/location can be totally different and you wouldn't know or suspect that the two addresses/locations don't match and that the real address isn't legit. 

Here's the real address that is hidden in that link:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/bd-p/Getting_connected

Good day @AlexandraSiklos,

Thank you for posting to the Rogers Community!

In this day and age, I completely understand your concern regarding this type of situation. We all know someone who was victim of a certain kind of email phishing or smishing attempts.

First of all, I want to reassure you. The email address media.ebill@rci.rogers.com is legitimate. 

Are you a Rogers Media Customer?

Click on the image below to access the Media Ebill website, where you'll find more information and/or where to direct your inquiries:

Let us know if you have any other questions!

RogersMaude

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

...To determine the actual address that is behind the hyper-link, right click on the link, select Copy Link Address and paste that into notepad or some text editor. 

Another option with many e-mail clients (and in Webmail) is to simply "hover" over the hyperlink or e-mail address to see the underlying complete information, which may appear near the cursor, or at the bottom of the page depending....

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 in conversation