cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Email Instructing me to Upgrade Or Else

Lenathor
I plan to stick around

Could someone please let me know whether the message I received from Rogers below is legitimate?  Am I required to act on it?  Or is it Spam?  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Dear Valued User,
Your Mail version is outdated,

Failure to Upgrade to the newest Yahoo Mail 7.1 now will result to a permanent account closure.

According to provision 17.9 of Terms and Conditions, Yahoo may at anytime terminate its services for accounts.

To upgrade follow the link below and accept our new terms and conditions.

UPGRADE NOW ***LINK REMOVED FOR SAFETY PURPOSES***

Thanks,

Rogers Support Team

Please do not reply to this message. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Email Instructing me to Upgrade Or Else

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lenathor & @karryan :   These are scams/phishing e-mails. It's usually easy to tell because the e-mail will have one or several of the following:

- weird sender address

- misspellings

- grammatical errors

- reference to a financial institution.

- threatening language (if you don't do this immediately...)

Tips follow:

Always look at the sender e-mail address if it's visible, or hover over it to see the actual e-mail address.  In the case of scammers, it's not usually from the typical Rogers accounts where you receive e-mails from, even though it might be ABC@rogers.com.

Never click on a link in a suspicious e-mail.  Always go to the appropriate websites using your own bookmarks or ways.  If you click on a link by mistake, if you examine the URL you may find it to be similar to a Rogers (or Yahoo) site, but it always contains one or more letters that shouldn't be there, usually near the front.

Often, but not always, scam e-mails will contain poor grammar, poor spelling, odd date or currency formats, etc.  They typically do this on purpose to catch the unwary who are easier to scam. Anyone "smart" would notice these sorts of mistakes or anomalies.

Check the logos to make sure they're the latest.

Scammers often "threaten" people with things like "You will be blocked from sending and receiving emails if not  confirmed within 24hrs of receiving this automated mail" or other threatening language.  Most corporations would provide more notice.

If you're unsure, coming here is a good choice. These sorts of e-mails have been sent to many people on Rogers/Yahoo e-mail and are scams.

If you have fallen for a scam, change your password immediately, it may not be too late.  If you have used that same password on another site (which you shouldn't do), change those passwords too.

If you receive spam/phishing e-mails like these, please report them to abuse@rogers.com.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

karryan
I've been around
Me too,

I've received a few and as it's coming from what looks like a persons email -pmfoote@rogers.com.  I've been deleting them and now this one came.....can't find anything online but I ain't clicking it!

Dear User,

With courtesy to you. We noticed that you have been ignoring our messages to upgrade your email. We are about to stop incoming emails to your email if you don't upgrade to our latest version within 24 hours from receiving this email. You need to upgrade your email immediately.

You are required to upgrade your email immediately.

CLICK THE LINK TO UPGRADE NOW,

**Removed link for security reasons -- RogersZia

Protecting your information is important to us and we work continuously to strengthen the threats targeting our Financial Institution.  

Sincerely,
The Rogers Mail Secure Team.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Lenathor & @karryan :   These are scams/phishing e-mails. It's usually easy to tell because the e-mail will have one or several of the following:

- weird sender address

- misspellings

- grammatical errors

- reference to a financial institution.

- threatening language (if you don't do this immediately...)

Tips follow:

Always look at the sender e-mail address if it's visible, or hover over it to see the actual e-mail address.  In the case of scammers, it's not usually from the typical Rogers accounts where you receive e-mails from, even though it might be ABC@rogers.com.

Never click on a link in a suspicious e-mail.  Always go to the appropriate websites using your own bookmarks or ways.  If you click on a link by mistake, if you examine the URL you may find it to be similar to a Rogers (or Yahoo) site, but it always contains one or more letters that shouldn't be there, usually near the front.

Often, but not always, scam e-mails will contain poor grammar, poor spelling, odd date or currency formats, etc.  They typically do this on purpose to catch the unwary who are easier to scam. Anyone "smart" would notice these sorts of mistakes or anomalies.

Check the logos to make sure they're the latest.

Scammers often "threaten" people with things like "You will be blocked from sending and receiving emails if not  confirmed within 24hrs of receiving this automated mail" or other threatening language.  Most corporations would provide more notice.

If you're unsure, coming here is a good choice. These sorts of e-mails have been sent to many people on Rogers/Yahoo e-mail and are scams.

If you have fallen for a scam, change your password immediately, it may not be too late.  If you have used that same password on another site (which you shouldn't do), change those passwords too.

If you receive spam/phishing e-mails like these, please report them to abuse@rogers.com.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

upgrade what? email is email, there is nothing to upgrade, you login and it works, these are scam messages just ignore them.

barb67
I'm here a lot

I would phone Rogers, just to be on the safe side

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes by all means phone and inquire about it, as this smells like a scam to me.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 5 in conversation