cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Scam - As Rogers Customer Service

Alpha-2033
I've been around

Good Morning!

I wanted to quickly get this out as I have unfortunately been a victim of a scam. I was called by this number: +1 (833) 425 2387 unknown number and was told that because I have moved my services with Rogers to another provider that I was eligible for a better deal, regarding my phone plan. I did switch providers and at the moment was not too alarmed. This occurred on May 7th at around 4:37pm. The next day for whatever reason I check the phone number online and of course, no surprise it turns out to be a Phishing scam, it was too late at this point and have compromised my personal information. Whoever this person or group of people are, they were using some sort of voice changer to make the voice sound more North American than any other nationality. Regardless, I have left a voice mail to the fraud team at Rogers and was told to come here and leave a message. I'm taking the next steps to change passwords, call credit card providers and call the Canadian Anti- Fraud Call Centre and Consumer Protection Ontario to report this. Please be safe guys. 

***Added Labels***

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Phone Scam - As Rogers Customer Service

RogersCorey

Thank you for your words of warning. Getting the word out and keeping up awareness of these scams helps others to avoid them. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

HHAHA
I've been around

Thanks for the heads up. Been getting calls from this number every day now.

FMZ
I've been around

I've been getting calls from this number that it got to a point I had to Google it and that's how I saw this. Thank you so much for this.

Laure56
I've been around

Hi!

Same happened to me last week, but from the number 1-833-425-2391. Weird thing is, it keeps calling, although now it immediatly hangs up everytime I pick up.

Can't exactly remember what info I could have given them that could be harmful, since they didn't ask for financial informations... still, I'm spooked now. How did they know that I'm a former Rogers client?

Hello @Laure56 ,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! We appreciate you posting your concern here. Nowadays, it can definitely be challenging to know if a call you are receiving is part of a scam or not. Your safety and security are extremely important to us! When you do pick up a phone call by a person claiming to be from "Rogers", there are some things you can look out for to determine the legitimacy of the call. Please see below for more information:

How to identify if a telemarketing call is NOT from a Rogers representative?

• We will never call you to sell you a service you already have with us.
  • We won’t offer to sell you services from a competitor when you already have our services.
  • We will never use abusive, unprofessional, or derogatory language.
  • Our representatives will never refuse to give you their name or an interaction number.
  • We will never hang up on you.
  • Our representatives will always advise you that the call is being recorded.

What to do if you receive a fraudulent telemarketing call from someone who claims to be with Rogers?

• Never give out personal details such as your credit card or banking information.
  • If you verbally provided any PIN or password associated with your account, change it immediately.

Please keep in mind that these scammers don't necessarily know that you are/were a Rogers customer, they are just saying this on the off-chance that it's true, so they can appear to know what they are talking about. Another way to determine if an offer you are receiving is legitimate, is to ask them to document your Rogers account with the offer details. You can then call us directly at 1-888-764-3771 to verify the offer details. 

I hope you find this information useful! :slightly_smiling_face:

RogersYasmine

I got a call from (604) 287-8359 

Hung up when they wanted "information"

They claim (from a large sounding busy boiler room) that they will reduce your bill by half  

I have gotten 10 calls from +1 (833) 425-2387 and they’ve all hung up on me until tonight. It is from IOS call center, third party hired by Rogers when you switch to another provider. The agent sounded like he was working outside an airport. He asked questions about who my new provider was, price of plan and current phone. He offered me a plan and new phone for 3x my current monthly payment. He said all I need to do was confirm my address, dob and email and everything would be done. I repeatedly told him I was not interested in such a high monthly payment, he offered to add 6 months of Disney+ but I am not interested in tripling my monthly payment.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have been getting a lot of these scam calls from individuals pretending to be calling from Rogers.  They seem very persistent about me giving them my personal information, even after I flat out told them no many times.

I am not going to post the telephone numbers because they are often calling from made up or spoofed 416/647/289 numbers which often belong to unsuspecting individuals who have no idea their number is being spoofed.

sdj1
I've been here awhile

How about 1-833-715-0115 number claiming to be Rogers? 
I’ve been getting quite a few calls from that number. When I try to google it I am unable to find any Rogers reference.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sdj1 wrote:  How about 1-833-715-0115 number claiming to be Rogers? 

Any phone number can be spoofed by telemarketers or scammers. A phone number is basically meaningless these days.

The good thing is that these days, most providers will provide a "warning" like "likely fraud" or "likely spam", etc if a number is used often that is not "correct".

https://www.rogers.com/support/billing-accounts/faqs-about-spam-call-detect

One can also download apps that perform the same function like Hiya or Samsung Smart Call.

I never answer calls that are not in my phone's directory, which have a distinctive ring.  It the caller doesn't leave a message, it's probably a scammer or telemarketer.

sajuas
I've been around

I got a call today at 12.20 p.m. from the number 647-844-1578. The caller was asking if I felt my phone bill was high. If I feel it is high, he said he can reduce the bill. the person was stammering a lot when I asked to clarify what he was asking. I felt it could be a fraud. I ended the call without giving any other information.

Do Rogers call from that number?

sdj1
I've been here awhile
That area code seems suspicious to me right away...

Dudes99
I've been around
I like how no one from Roger’s denied or confirmed that the calls are legit or fake. Glad I switched.

I got a call from 1-343-372-3858 saying my service was being cut in 2 hours and it was a machine

kozmik
I've been around

Just now got a call from 604 850 1593. Claim to be from Rogers's promotion department with an incredible deal for an iPhone end 40% off plan.
When I ask for the number to call them back to make sure wasn't a scam they provided me with.4377828518. Which I searched and ended up here. so just updating that it's march 2024 and the scam is ongoing and still using the same phone numbers.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

good catch, be sure to hang up when these scammers call you and not give out any personal information

Sangeetha
I've been around
Similar incident happened to me and I got a call from this number +1(807)7975368
I not only reported to Canadian Anti- Fraud Call Centre and Consumer Protection Ontario also called Fido Fraud Management (since this was my network) team got all my details changed. So guys keep watch out for this number also.

AfridiM
I've been around
I received a call from

They had my name and Rogers plan information. They confirmed my name and then when they asked me to renew my plan as it was expiring I was alarmed.
Now that I called the number it has a message saying they're running s campaign for Fido and Rogers and then if you press 0 it goes to another message for another company. It's Rogers part of this scam that can compromise people's information. If not then why is my Rogers internet not working the whole day today.😡. Please look into this. Rogers already has a bad reputation, I hope like other Canadian dinosaurs they're not actively planning to take this down while common folk get taken for a ride.

Hello @AfridiM,

Thanks for joining us in the community, we hope you come back often! 🙂

We appreciate you sharing your recent experience with us and we are sorry to hear you feel this way. We know there are an abundance of scams happening these days and one can never be too careful. Here at Rogers, we take the safety and security of our customers accounts and personal info very seriously. I can assure you, we aren't in the business of scamming our valued customers.

Anytime you are unsure if an offer is too good to be true or something just doesn't feel right, I would urge you to ask the caller to leave a detailed note on your account and then you can call in directly to the company in question to verify if the call was legitimate. 

Please also remember to never give any personal details to any callers unless they have been properly validated, and in most cases, they should already have your info available to them if you are already doing business with them.

With that being said, have you tried reaching out directly to Rogers customer care team to report the call and have them investigate further to make sure it was valid?

Thanks,
RogersYasmine

Hi had a call exactly like you guys are mentioning here. I was with Telus got a call from Rogers saying that they could give me a better deal. Give me an iPhone at 40% off along with the Motorola razor even a better deal and a lower monthly bill, I took the offer and was sent an iPhone and a motor razor brand new in the box although when I set them up, everything was fine except for the bill they were charging me pretty much full price for everything and back-and-forth with Rogers for months because I was told I was gonna have a $300 credit For each account that I got which would equal $600 not to mention the 40% off my monthly bill for the Rogers phone. I mean the iPhone and 50 gigs of data for $55. I eventually received the $300 credit for the iPhone to go towards my bills Never received it for the Motorola razor and I’m still being charged $90 for the $55 for 50 GB of data and even $105 for 50 gigs of data for the razor paying over $70 for the razor when I was told i was only paying 25 a month i also opted in for the extra insurance and never ever used my razor and within two weeks, my Motorola razor, the bottom half of the phone went white I sent it to Motorola because it was within the 1 year manufacture warranty. They told me I had water damage. I’ve never even used the phone and they sent it back to me without repairing it telling me that the warranty was now void through Motorola and I would have to go through Rogers and Rogers told me that I had to go through Motorola and then motorola told me I had to go through Rogers then Rogers told me that they could not fix the phone because it was still under the one year manufacturer warranty, even though the warranty had been cancelled and it was not under the warranty anymore. You pay for warranty Rogers extra warranty only they won’t fix the phone for you for the first year while still charging you for the whole year but will have nothing to do with your warranty for the year since it is under the manufacture warranty for a year so why would they charge anybody a year warranty that cannot be used. so technically you’re only recieving two years of warranty and are being charged and paying for three. I otherwise have normal service and have had nothing arise that I have noticed yet as fraudulent activity although when I am on YouTube, sometimes you see those videos that say if you type this word with square brackets around it you will receive a special emoji and if you don’t, then your phone could be fake. I’ve tried this over a dozen times and I have never received Any special emoji they say you were supposed to receive , so have I been scammed? am i using a fake phone that I have now somehow given access to all my information to them if anybody has advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated since I’ve had these phones for almost a year already. Like can they have put programs on the phone to trace my information and/or receive my passwords and stuff like is that a thing?

Topic Stats