cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this valid phone number from Rogers?

Toto100
I've been here awhile

Hi

Received call from the number 437-524-8424 regarding an 40% discount on my home internet plan.

Was asked to provide my government ID and a credit card number. He provided his name, employee ID and an email regarding this offer.

However, by searching the number via Google. It is a phone number for pizza from US!????

Did anyone has the same experience? Anyone can tell if it’s a legitimate number from Rogers???

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is this valid phone number from Rogers?

Personally I would consider myself as an ID theft victim.  With that in mind, contact Equifax Canada and Transunion Canada and identify yourself an ID theft victim.  They should place a statement on your credit file to that effect, which should remain on file for 5 or 7 years, don't remember which.  There should also be a statement placed on file that any attempt to establish credit at any company is to result in the credit rating agency contacting you directly to authorize or deny the credit.  The goal here is to prevent the scammers from using your ID to set up credit account, sticking you with the bill and headache to clear up. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Toto100 I hope you didn't provide any ID or credit card details.  If so, you've been scammed.  A 437 number is pretty lazy.  A good number of scammers at least try to use a real Rogers number to appear realistic. 

A real Rogers rep should never ask you for any ID details or account details.  

The follow-on problem here is a Rogers security breach which occurred last year.  That and possibly an ongoing Rogers security breach is resulting in a good number of Rogers customers receiving calls from scammers.  If you backtrack thru the forum, you will see numerous posts regarding scam calls. 

Toto100
I've been here awhile
Shoot… I did provide my drive licence number but got hesitated providing my credit number. What I should do now???

Personally I would consider myself as an ID theft victim.  With that in mind, contact Equifax Canada and Transunion Canada and identify yourself an ID theft victim.  They should place a statement on your credit file to that effect, which should remain on file for 5 or 7 years, don't remember which.  There should also be a statement placed on file that any attempt to establish credit at any company is to result in the credit rating agency contacting you directly to authorize or deny the credit.  The goal here is to prevent the scammers from using your ID to set up credit account, sticking you with the bill and headache to clear up. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 437 area code is actually a Toronto number, just like 416 and 905.   I would be careful, as there have been numerous reports of people receiving phone calls from local phone numbers in any area code, not just toronto numbers, from people claiming to be rogers,  Myself included.  I am uncertain if this is a result of the rogers data breach from last year as I do not have any accounts with Rogers residential or wireless services and still received an unsolicited call from a scammer claiming to be a Rogers Sales Agent from a random 416 number. He offered me a huge discount on my rogers services, so I politely told him where to go and hung up the call because I knew it was a scam, I do not have Rogers residential or mobile services and Rogers would know this. right?

Just be careful people

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation