Is this call real or fake?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Is this call real or fake?

I just received a call from “Rogers” it was an 877-618-7712 and they were really pressuring me into upgrading my phone to an iPhone 7 with 20GB of data and a free tablet for $85.86 a month. Definitely seemed to good to be true. It was weird because she had my phone model and account number and knew how much I was paying for my phone and questioned why I needed a chance to think it over. I was feeling anxious about things before the call and the call just made me even more anxious. Felt like I was being grilled. Blocked the number after I hung up. Scam for sure!
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its probably a third party promotions department calling about offering a new plan or package or promo, they tend to have your account info so its likely not a scam but its totally up to you to do your due diligence and ask questions about the plan, ask how much it costs what cancellation fee, any contracts, ask is it the infiinte data plan? ask what happens when you surpass 20gb, does it slow your data to a crawl, ask how much monthly fee does the Free tablet cost? ask what part of the price they quoted you are promotional credits ask when do the promo credits expire and what will be your monthly fee after?

not fake/scam but also its normal for them to peruse customers into upgrading, i used to get a few calls like that all the time. just do your due diligence, dont feel pressured into buying a phone u dont want, maybe your an android guy? so an iphone is not your thing ask them what other phones do they have?

Highlighted
I've Been Around

COVID-19 Call Masking/Scam?

I received a call today with the caller ID indicating “ROGERS.” Someone claiming to be from Rogers — they gave their name as “Joy” — called and asked to look into my account. I am wondering if it was a scam attempt.

They started by giving some updates about long-distance calling fees being waived, or something along those lines. After that, they asked how I was doing and then said they wanted to look into my account. At this point I hung up. They immediately tried to connect again by calling but I ignored it.

My suspicion was prompted by the fact that there was a delay at the start of the call and what sounded like a transfer (a brief ringing and clicking sound).

Does Rogers typically call customers unsolicited and ask to look into their accounts?

Edit: The number was (844) 959 1*00

Many thanks!
Highlighted

Hello @Rempelstiltzken,

Thanks for being a part of the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your first post! We hope you've been keeping in positive spirits despite the challenges we've all been facing! 🙂

It seems that the scammers are out in full swing--now more than ever! I don't blame you for being extra cautious! If you are a Rogers customer or a former Rogers customer, it is possible that you may receive phone calls from our telemarketing teams providing you with new offers and promotions. Did the agent explain the reason why they wanted to look into your account for you? 

Some of our telemarketing teams are through third-party vendors, however, we should always have your account details on hand, and as such, should not be asking you to verify any personal information (credit card, banking details, social insurance number, etc.). We will also have access to your current products and services and wouldn't need you to provide this information to us. These are a few ways to know if the call is legitimate or not. 

Please also CLICK HERE to review this helpful article that provides more tips on how to spot a telemarketing scam. 

I hope this helps! Please take care and stay safe!! 

RogersLaura

Highlighted
I've Been Around

877-618-7712, ID says “ROGERS” however, I have not picked up, when the call goes to voicemail they leave no voice messages which seems odd.
Highlighted

Greetings @Soojin10,

Thank you for joining us here in the Rogers Community and congrats on your first post! We hope you've been keeping well and are in good spirits! 😁

Although that particular number does not seem to be from one of our corporate offices, it is still possible it may be coming from one of our third-party telemarketing teams whom we work with. It is difficult to say for certain.

Your safety and security are extremely important to us! When you do pick up a phone call by a person claiming to be from "Rogers", there are some things you can look out for to determine the legitimacy of the call. Please see below for more information:

How to identify if a telemarketing call is NOT from a Rogers representative?

• We will never call you to sell you a service you already have with us.
  • We won’t offer to sell you services from a competitor when you already have our services.
  • We will never use abusive, unprofessional, or derogatory language.
  • Our representatives will never refuse to give you their name or an interaction number.
  • We will never hang up on you.
  • Our representatives will always advise you that the call is being recorded.

What to do if you receive a fraudulent telemarketing call from someone who claims to be with Rogers?

• Report it to us immediately
  • Never give out personal details such as your credit card or banking information.
  • If you verbally provided any PIN or password associated with your account, change it immediately.
  • Try to capture as many details as you can about the call – date, time, calling party telephone number, name of the caller, and the specifics of the offer made.

I hope you find this information useful! 🙂

RogersLaura