cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this call real or fake?

Sashaskyy
I've been around

Hello!
We have been receiving calls from a person named Joise, using this number (416) 628-6739. She claims to be associated with Rogers, when I asked her what I had on my account she stated incorrect items. Which set of some red flags for myself. Now She keeps calling, and even though I tell her I’m at work, she gets irritated and hung up on me. I need to know is this number associated with Rogers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is this call real or fake?

RogersMaude

Hey @Sashaskyy,

Thanks for joining the Rogers Community!

Being super vigilant with potential vishing (short for “voice phishing”) attempts is the best thing to do. Scammers try to gather your personal or financial information over the phone. Usually, they make calls to offer you fake rate plans and promise incentives if you complete surveys or if you respond to their requests to “confirm” your account by providing sensitive information like PINs, passwords, or account numbers.

What department did Joise say she was from? I might recommend you to block that particular number to prevent that this person contacts you again.

What should I do if I’ve received a suspicious phone call from Rogers?

Do NOT provide personal information if the caller sounds suspicious. If possible, record the phone number that appeared on your call display, then contact Rogers and report the incident. We will be able to determine if the call was legitimate.

To get in touch with an actual Rogers representative, visit www.rogers.com/contactus.

What should I do if I’ve received a suspicious voice call from another company?

Do NOT provide personal information to the caller. Instead, report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre has a lot of information on known scams. Review their website to protect yourself from potential fraud.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41

RogersMaude

Hey @Sashaskyy,

Thanks for joining the Rogers Community!

Being super vigilant with potential vishing (short for “voice phishing”) attempts is the best thing to do. Scammers try to gather your personal or financial information over the phone. Usually, they make calls to offer you fake rate plans and promise incentives if you complete surveys or if you respond to their requests to “confirm” your account by providing sensitive information like PINs, passwords, or account numbers.

What department did Joise say she was from? I might recommend you to block that particular number to prevent that this person contacts you again.

What should I do if I’ve received a suspicious phone call from Rogers?

Do NOT provide personal information if the caller sounds suspicious. If possible, record the phone number that appeared on your call display, then contact Rogers and report the incident. We will be able to determine if the call was legitimate.

To get in touch with an actual Rogers representative, visit www.rogers.com/contactus.

What should I do if I’ve received a suspicious voice call from another company?

Do NOT provide personal information to the caller. Instead, report the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre has a lot of information on known scams. Review their website to protect yourself from potential fraud.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

baynewen
I plan to stick around

This evening I received a call from V21322324200021 753-5681. The person said they were Rogers and could give me a deal on my home phone, cable and internet. When I told him I already have all my services with Rogers, he hung up. I made the assumption it was a scam.

Thank you for posting about the call you received @baynewen!

It is abnormal that the representative hung up the phone after you've made them aware you already had active Rogers services. Being cautious when it comes to suspicious call is key. 😉

Please refer to post 2 for information on what to do in this type of situation. If you would like us to review your current services and promotions, let us know!

RogersMaude

baynewen
I plan to stick around

The same thing happened again this evening. I fairly sure it is a scam they were offering me internet, cable and home phone for $99 a month for a year.

Somehow I seriously doubt. I'm perfectly happy with my services and believe me they don't come anywhere near $99 a month for all those services. This time the number was V21423380700021 519-753-1544  they are ghosting local numbers to work this scam.  

Metalia
I've been here awhile

Hello, my father has been contacted multiple times by these numbers an obnoxious number of times a day.

2X by 204 480 xxxx(He blocked this number because they asked for his personal information)
8X by 204 480 xxxx(He blocked this number as well)
13X he was called back and forth by these two numbers:
204 220 xxxx
204 480 xxxx

Now he’s receiving text messages telling him to contact CBV or ONS. I checked the ONS website and it’s under construction and has very little information. Overall it is all very suspicious as we both have accounts with Rogers and don’t have anything owing. My mother’s account is also at a zero balance since she passed over a year ago.

I was hoping you might have any knowledge or information about these harassing calls.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would be very careful about publishing a number publicly on here. Spammers and scammers do not use their real number when they call you for obvious fraudulent reasons so instead they will use the number of an unsuspecting victim, so basically they will get a random wireless phone number of a customer, and use that number to call and text you with to harass you or to commit fraud. the number you were called or texted from does NOT belong to the scammer, it belongs to a individual who has had his number spoofed and likely getting harassed by angry people and he is likely receiving threats. your only making it worse for him or her by publishing their number on a site like this so be careful in doing this in the future.

How do I know this is happening? well it happened to me, I was getting harassing calls from people saying my "number called them" and "my number text them" and they were angry at me, well they were angry at the scammer and took their frustration out on me and my phone was getting non stop calls for 3 days, i was going crazy i wanted to throw my phone into Niagara falls.

Metalia
I've been here awhile
Thank you for letting me know, I had no idea that they could use other peoples numbers like that. I will be careful in the future. It makes sense because once one number is blocked, how do they have such an endless supply of phone numbers to continue to harass you with?

Gonna tell my Dad to report the company that’s texting him to Anti-Fraud Alert Canada. Thank you for letting me know about your experience.

@Metalia let me direct your attention to the following CRTC page:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

Note the deadline "by December 19, 2019, providers must have either implemented a system to block calls within their networks or offer call-filtering services. " 

So, the fact that you're receiving calls with a spoofed display number indicates that Rogers either hasn't met the deadline as indicted by the CRTC, or, that the system in place is ineffective.  

There are two numbers involved in a call, maybe more, one is the billing number, the other is the displayed number.  That displayed number can be spoofed, as you've experienced.  There are organizations for which that is allowed, fire department, hospitals, etc.  

If this is proving to be a major annoyance, consider submitting a complaint to the CCTS as indicated here:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/plaint.htm

To file a complaint, you should be able to start here:

https://lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/en/Consumer/File-a-complaint/#!/

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
the December 19, 2019 deadline was to block numbers which do not conform to NANP (North American Numbering Plan) format, which includes obvious fake numbers like 111-111-1111 or 999-999-9999 . You can still receive calls from spoofed numbers, just spoofed numbers that do not conform to NANP format will not reach your phone. The new call block theyre working on is not implemented yet, but its called Shaken not Stirred, aka reference to how James Bond likes his Martini's and once its implemented it will block a lot more of these nuisance calls

Soojin10
I've been around
I just received a call from “Rogers” it was an 877-618-7712 and they were really pressuring me into upgrading my phone to an iPhone 7 with 20GB of data and a free tablet for $85.86 a month. Definitely seemed to good to be true. It was weird because she had my phone model and account number and knew how much I was paying for my phone and questioned why I needed a chance to think it over. I was feeling anxious about things before the call and the call just made me even more anxious. Felt like I was being grilled. Blocked the number after I hung up. Scam for sure!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
its probably a third party promotions department calling about offering a new plan or package or promo, they tend to have your account info so its likely not a scam but its totally up to you to do your due diligence and ask questions about the plan, ask how much it costs what cancellation fee, any contracts, ask is it the infiinte data plan? ask what happens when you surpass 20gb, does it slow your data to a crawl, ask how much monthly fee does the Free tablet cost? ask what part of the price they quoted you are promotional credits ask when do the promo credits expire and what will be your monthly fee after?

not fake/scam but also its normal for them to peruse customers into upgrading, i used to get a few calls like that all the time. just do your due diligence, dont feel pressured into buying a phone u dont want, maybe your an android guy? so an iphone is not your thing ask them what other phones do they have?

COVID-19 Call Masking/Scam?

I received a call today with the caller ID indicating “ROGERS.” Someone claiming to be from Rogers — they gave their name as “Joy” — called and asked to look into my account. I am wondering if it was a scam attempt.

They started by giving some updates about long-distance calling fees being waived, or something along those lines. After that, they asked how I was doing and then said they wanted to look into my account. At this point I hung up. They immediately tried to connect again by calling but I ignored it.

My suspicion was prompted by the fact that there was a delay at the start of the call and what sounded like a transfer (a brief ringing and clicking sound).

Does Rogers typically call customers unsolicited and ask to look into their accounts?

Edit: The number was (844) 959 1*00

Many thanks!

Hello @Rempelstiltzken,

Thanks for being a part of the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your first post! We hope you've been keeping in positive spirits despite the challenges we've all been facing! 🙂

It seems that the scammers are out in full swing--now more than ever! I don't blame you for being extra cautious! If you are a Rogers customer or a former Rogers customer, it is possible that you may receive phone calls from our telemarketing teams providing you with new offers and promotions. Did the agent explain the reason why they wanted to look into your account for you? 

Some of our telemarketing teams are through third-party vendors, however, we should always have your account details on hand, and as such, should not be asking you to verify any personal information (credit card, banking details, social insurance number, etc.). We will also have access to your current products and services and wouldn't need you to provide this information to us. These are a few ways to know if the call is legitimate or not. 

Please also CLICK HERE to review this helpful article that provides more tips on how to spot a telemarketing scam. 

I hope this helps! Please take care and stay safe!! 

RogersLaura

OrnellaA
I've been around
877-618-7712, ID says “ROGERS” however, I have not picked up, when the call goes to voicemail they leave no voice messages which seems odd.

Greetings @Soojin10,

Thank you for joining us here in the Rogers Community and congrats on your first post! We hope you've been keeping well and are in good spirits! 😁

Although that particular number does not seem to be from one of our corporate offices, it is still possible it may be coming from one of our third-party telemarketing teams whom we work with. It is difficult to say for certain.

Your safety and security are extremely important to us! When you do pick up a phone call by a person claiming to be from "Rogers", there are some things you can look out for to determine the legitimacy of the call. Please see below for more information:

How to identify if a telemarketing call is NOT from a Rogers representative?

• We will never call you to sell you a service you already have with us.
  • We won’t offer to sell you services from a competitor when you already have our services.
  • We will never use abusive, unprofessional, or derogatory language.
  • Our representatives will never refuse to give you their name or an interaction number.
  • We will never hang up on you.
  • Our representatives will always advise you that the call is being recorded.

What to do if you receive a fraudulent telemarketing call from someone who claims to be with Rogers?

• Report it to us immediately
  • Never give out personal details such as your credit card or banking information.
  • If you verbally provided any PIN or password associated with your account, change it immediately.
  • Try to capture as many details as you can about the call – date, time, calling party telephone number, name of the caller, and the specifics of the offer made.

I hope you find this information useful! 🙂

RogersLaura

Wincheung03
I've been around
Hi I have just received a call from the number 800 8857502, it was a recorded message saying it’s calling from Rogers’ Chinese department and saying my account has suspicious activities and will be terminated if I don’t take action. Pls kindly verify this number, thanks

Good morning @Wincheung03,

Welcome to the Community :)!

I'm glad you've reached out for clarification. Since number spoofing is a popular tactic with spam callers, it's definitely harder to identify if a call is legitimate or not. Based on the info you've shared I can definitely say this was a spam call. I hope you haven't shared any personal info on the call. 

Please remember, if it's a call from Rogers, you will always have a choice to call back and speak to us directly. 

Check out our How to Spot a Telemarketing Scam page for more info.

RogersZia

caojiqian
I've been here awhile

Hi I just received a call from +1 (437) 886-3315. He said he is from Rogers, could you help me to check it. I couldn’t tell if he is from Rogers

Hello @caojiqian,

Welcome to the Community!

I can appreciate the concern for sure! When it comes to Rogers sales our agents must follow standard protocols, including contacting customers from a Rogers business line. If anyone contacts you from what appears to be a personal number such as this, it's safest to assume it is not legitimate.

@RogersAndy

ChanPatr
I plan to stick around
Just received a call from 18773987162 a few minutes ago. Caller ID said it was Rogers. Did not pick up and no voice message was left. No idea if it was really Rogers or another phishing scam.

If it really was Rogers, I'm surprised they still rely on cold calling clients. If there was a promotion to be offered, it'll be better if they email or mail it to me.

Provide me a contact number I can verify on their website and a reference number to quote the agent. He/she should then confirm the promotion. If I can't verify the number, I'm not calling back.
Topic Stats