cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

ColinNunya
I've been around

ROGERS: You are being rewarded with $253.18 (CAD) for being a loyal customer during this year. Claim your funds at rogerspay.com
Got sent this text and thought it was legit but it's been a couple days with no emails or confirmation. Kinda worried I gave my bank information to a scammer.
Can you let me know if this is legit or fake?

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is this a scam?

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

Of course it's fake!
Rogers might send legit loyalty deals for products via text, email, etc, but they won't ask you for personal info, especially not banking info.
Sometimes 3rd party companies working on behalf of Rogers will call and offer reduced rates for services and then want 2 pieces of ID, after giving their Rogers ID number to you, but even that can be very risky (even when they are legit), so I prefer to turn down anything that requires personal info given to strangers calling, texting or emailing me.

If you clicked on a link in that text, you might be infected with malware that can monitor what you are doing, so use another device not linked to the device you used, before you change your Rogers passwords, add a special PIN number to your Rogers account, etc.

Call the credit card companies, banks, and get your money out. Assume that your bank info will be used or sold, thus making you a victim of identity theft.

Rogers has no loyalty reward deal that gives you money by clicking a link and providing personal banking info.

Most scams use the 17 or 18 cents portion of the reward because a tired or hungry brain automatically assumes that a calculation was made to determine your "reward" ... thus you more eagerly take the chance and expect it to all work out, rather than miss out on getting easy money ... without having to call the main Rogers phone number and waiting on hold to find out that the text is definitely a scam.
You've got a lot of work to do, but perhaps you'll be lucky enough to escape serious damage to your identity and finances.

Good luck, and may the force be with you! 🆘🙏

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

Of course it's fake!
Rogers might send legit loyalty deals for products via text, email, etc, but they won't ask you for personal info, especially not banking info.
Sometimes 3rd party companies working on behalf of Rogers will call and offer reduced rates for services and then want 2 pieces of ID, after giving their Rogers ID number to you, but even that can be very risky (even when they are legit), so I prefer to turn down anything that requires personal info given to strangers calling, texting or emailing me.

If you clicked on a link in that text, you might be infected with malware that can monitor what you are doing, so use another device not linked to the device you used, before you change your Rogers passwords, add a special PIN number to your Rogers account, etc.

Call the credit card companies, banks, and get your money out. Assume that your bank info will be used or sold, thus making you a victim of identity theft.

Rogers has no loyalty reward deal that gives you money by clicking a link and providing personal banking info.

Most scams use the 17 or 18 cents portion of the reward because a tired or hungry brain automatically assumes that a calculation was made to determine your "reward" ... thus you more eagerly take the chance and expect it to all work out, rather than miss out on getting easy money ... without having to call the main Rogers phone number and waiting on hold to find out that the text is definitely a scam.
You've got a lot of work to do, but perhaps you'll be lucky enough to escape serious damage to your identity and finances.

Good luck, and may the force be with you! 🆘🙏

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Scam.  Rogers will always credit your account directly.  Here's a post regarding spotting scams.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Rogers-Email-Instructing-me-to...

As mentioned by @mebe above, contact all your credit card companies and change passwords.d

You can also forward the text to SPAM (7726) to report it to Rogers.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 in conversation