Customer reward program - Spam, Phishing, Smishing, Scam Awareness

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Customer reward program - Spam, Phishing, Smishing, Scam Awareness

I got the "you are one of 100 users selected to receive the chance to win an Apple iPhone 11 Pro…" today.

What I want to know is what is the mechanism that had this phishing scam open in my browser? I entered the full URL of where I wanted to go and then I got ca.worldvictory.vip/ca/11/rogers… as the URL in the location bar. Where was my web request intercepted? At my laptop? At my router? Outside the demarcation coming into my home? I'm using a work computer and I trust the firewall and anti-virus protection supplied by my employer, but I'd like to know how this happened so I can close that loophole 'til the next one appears. Phishing Whack-A-Mole!

I Plan to Stick Around

I'd like to know where it's coming from as well.  This thing keeps hijacking my browser and my security software isn't picking it up.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A few years back I had a similar thing happen where a particular URL was being redirected after being on the website for a few seconds. In my case it was Yahoo's websites.  I avoided Yahoo for a while and the "highjack" never came back.  Today I can go to Yahoo again as a test.

If you can, make note of the website where the redirect/pop-up/highjack takes place.  If it's a particular website, then you may be able to avoid it.  I never did understand the mechanism for this, but I'm sure you may have encountered redirects before, or a pop-up ad that came up when you didn't want it.  Sometimes this happens if you "rollover" an ad, etc.

Perhaps engaging the pop-up blocker will eliminate the problem?

I've Been Around

Yes, I received this offer as well and when they asked for credit card info, I stopped. But I did provide name and postal code. Am I at risk?

Good evening @Jencolen,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I'm glad to hear you stopped before entering any financial information. You should be okay if you haven't shared any sensitive information. In any case, it's best practice to keep an eye on your CC activity to be sure. We cannot stress enough how important it is to be vigilant with your financial information online. 

For spam text messages, you can forward the content of the SMS to 7726 (SPAM), to register it for investigation and blocking from the Rogers  network. The messages sent to 7726 are analysed in batches as they are received. 

You can also report your incident to The Canadian Anti- Fraud Centre. You can find all the relevant information here

RogersZia