cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRTC calls for universal network-level call blocking, with 1-year deadline...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One small step in the right direction:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/phone-companies-crtc-new-regulations-1.4961104

Even though this is no panacea, every little bit will help...

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: CRTC calls for universal network-level call blocking, with 1-year deadline...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I noticed the following note in my August bill received today:

In an effort to reduce unwanted nuisance calls we will implement Universal Call Blocking (as required by the CRTC) beginning November 2019. This will block incoming calls that contain telephone numbers that do not comply with North American or International numbering plans e.g. 00000. For more information on Universal Call Blocking and how it may impact voice calls, please visit rogers.com/universal-call-blocking

Here's a direct link that works at this time.  (May not work in future)

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/universal-call-blocking

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Re: CRTC calls for universal network-level call blocking, with 1-year deadline...

RogersMoin

Hello, @57.

Thank you for sharing this news with the Community; I believe we already have such a system in place. It's certainly helpful if such calls are filtered out at the network level. 

We are grateful for your continued participation and for sharing your expertise in the Community. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although Rogers may have something in place at this time, it's not as elaborate as what is being discussed for next year. For those who want additional information, here's another link:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2018/2018-484.htm

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I noticed the following note in my August bill received today:

In an effort to reduce unwanted nuisance calls we will implement Universal Call Blocking (as required by the CRTC) beginning November 2019. This will block incoming calls that contain telephone numbers that do not comply with North American or International numbering plans e.g. 00000. For more information on Universal Call Blocking and how it may impact voice calls, please visit rogers.com/universal-call-blocking

Here's a direct link that works at this time.  (May not work in future)

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/universal-call-blocking

ChrisD3111
I'm here a lot

EPIC FAIL!!!  LAST 24HRS! 

Screenshot_20191116-084913_Phone.jpgScreenshot_20191116-085036_Phone.jpgScreenshot_20191116-085050_Phone.jpg

How is that an epic fail? Those are international numbers not north american. The ucb is designed to block INVALID north american numbers. NOT international or invalid international numbers. Its working as per design. You have a different problem my friend that no one can solve. Even the ceo of rogers gets those calls on his personal cell

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you look at post 4 of this thread, it does apply to international numbers, however, if they comply with the international phone number pattern, there's nothing that this type of call blocking will do for us.

It's designed to pick up numbers like 111-000-1111, or something like 416-1234-5678 (which has one too many numbers, etc.)

From the link in post 4:  "Generally, any number that does not comply with the North American Numbering Plan or international standards will be blocked. 000 000-0000, 111 111-1111 or numbers with more than 15 digits are examples of non-compliant numbers."

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lately I've been getting telemarketing calls from obviously incorrect phone numbers.  For example:

Area codes from foreign countries, but no country code.

Numbers like  XXX-555-XXXX.  There are no 555 numbers - these are only used in movies.  

Why am I still seeing these calls when they should be blocked as "obviously incorrect?"

Area codes include:  115, 188, 151, 107

I guess these will be stopped when STIR/SHAKEN comes into play next Summer, but why aren't they caught now?  I realize that the point of this particular regulation didn't include international calls, but these don't come in as international, rather as North American numbers that don't actually exist...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/CRTC-steps-up-efforts-to-comba...

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 in conversation