Ignite Wifi Hub - Paused Device but Internet Still Accessible!?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite Wifi Hub - Paused Device but Internet Still Accessible!?

I paused my daughter’s iPhone in the ignite app and she is still able to access Netflix and Instagram but nothing else. Why!?

Highlighted

Re: Ignite Wifi Hub - Paused Device but Internet Still Accessible!?

Hello, @asgdsafdsgfdshg.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Pausing a device blocks it from accessing the Internet when connected to your home network. It's quite odd that Netflix and Instagram worked on a paused device. Pausing a device may not immediately disrupt activity already in progress on that device. Have you checked to see if the device using cellular data?

You can try replicating the issue on your device. When you try to access the Internet on your paused device, you should see the message saying that the content cannot be reached or that the internet is down.

Let us know the outcome of pausing your device. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Ignite Wifi Hub - Ignite Wifi Hub - Paused Device but Internet Still Accessible!?

Yes she doesn’t have cell service on that phone and it has been paused for almost a week before it started. She can clearly us Instagram and Netflix while fully paused in the app. Very strange.

Highlighted

Re: Ignite Wifi Hub - Ignite Wifi Hub - Paused Device but Internet Still Accessible!?

Hello, @asgdsafdsgfdshg.

Thanks for confirming about the cellular data. Have you noticed similar behaviour on any other device?

At your convenience, I suggest you try the following: 

• Unpause the device
  • Reboot the modem
  • Pause the device

If the issue persists, you can create a user profile, assigned the device and try pausing it from the user profile. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I’ll try the reboot. Her device isn’t paused anymore but it will only be a matter of time before it needs to be again🙄. I have created a profile and assigned her device and paused it from there.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Same issue, my daughter accesses the network on paused profile all night

Highlighted

Hello @Shivir,

Welcome to the Community!

The Ignite WiFi Hub is a handy tool to  control WiFi access by pausing individual devices or user profiles. As mentioned earlier in the thread, pausing a device may not immediately disrupt activity already in progress on that device.  Did you by any chance pause access for a specific amount of time i.e. 30 minutes to an hour or indefinitely? Please remember the Pause function does not block the Internet access for a device using cellular data, have you checked to see if the device was using cellular data?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

RogersZia

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Ignite wifi app problem- does not disconnect completely. When I disable wifi access. Application like youtube, Gmail still works. Why is that? How do I completely stop the access to the device?

Highlighted

Hello @JimGhi,

Welcome to the Community Forum. Congratulations on your first post 😃!

The Ignite WiFi Hub is a useful tool when it comes to pausing individual devices or user profiles.

As you may have noticed in the thread, pausing a device blocks it from accessing the Internet when connected to the home network. Pausing a device may not immediately disrupt activity in progress on that device.

Could you try replicating the issue on your device? Let us know the result.

Regards

RogersNiki

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersNiki wrote:

As you may have noticed in the thread, pausing a device blocks it from accessing the Internet when connected to the home network. Pausing a device may not immediately disrupt activity in progress on that device.

That's exactly what the Pause Devices’ WiFi Access with Ignite WiFi Hub support article says.  To expand on this, the parental controls work by the Ignite Gateway blocking DNS lookups from that device.  Pausing inhibits a device from accessing new sites and Parental Controls (in general) use this technique as a means of inhibiting attempts to access a forbidden site; it doesn't completely block access to WiFi or to the network.  That's why Parental Controls cannot disrupt activity that is currently in progress.  You can also get around parental controls by installing a VPN app, or by changing a device's MAC address thus making it look like a new device on the network that is not locked down.  In order for the Ignite Parental Controls to be effective, you also need to maintain administrative control of the devices that are connecting to the network.