cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite Wifi Hub - Paused Device but Internet Still Accessible!?

asgdsafdsgfdshg
I've been here awhile

I paused my daughter’s iPhone in the ignite app and she is still able to access Netflix and Instagram but nothing else. Why!?

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ignite Wifi Hub - Paused Device but Internet Still Accessible!?

RogersMoin

Hello, @asgdsafdsgfdshg.

Welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 

Pausing a device blocks it from accessing the Internet when connected to your home network. It's quite odd that Netflix and Instagram worked on a paused device. Pausing a device may not immediately disrupt activity already in progress on that device. Have you checked to see if the device using cellular data?

You can try replicating the issue on your device. When you try to access the Internet on your paused device, you should see the message saying that the content cannot be reached or that the internet is down.

Let us know the outcome of pausing your device. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Re: Ignite Wifi Hub - Ignite Wifi Hub - Paused Device but Internet Still Accessible!?

Yes she doesn’t have cell service on that phone and it has been paused for almost a week before it started. She can clearly us Instagram and Netflix while fully paused in the app. Very strange.

Re: Ignite Wifi Hub - Ignite Wifi Hub - Paused Device but Internet Still Accessible!?

Hello, @asgdsafdsgfdshg.

Thanks for confirming about the cellular data. Have you noticed similar behaviour on any other device?

At your convenience, I suggest you try the following: 

• Unpause the device
  • Reboot the modem
  • Pause the device

If the issue persists, you can create a user profile, assigned the device and try pausing it from the user profile. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I’ll try the reboot. Her device isn’t paused anymore but it will only be a matter of time before it needs to be again🙄. I have created a profile and assigned her device and paused it from there.

Same issue, my daughter accesses the network on paused profile all night

Hello @Shivir,

Welcome to the Community!

The Ignite WiFi Hub is a handy tool to  control WiFi access by pausing individual devices or user profiles. As mentioned earlier in the thread, pausing a device may not immediately disrupt activity already in progress on that device.  Did you by any chance pause access for a specific amount of time i.e. 30 minutes to an hour or indefinitely? Please remember the Pause function does not block the Internet access for a device using cellular data, have you checked to see if the device was using cellular data?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

RogersZia

JimGhi
I've been around

Ignite wifi app problem- does not disconnect completely. When I disable wifi access. Application like youtube, Gmail still works. Why is that? How do I completely stop the access to the device?

Hello @JimGhi,

Welcome to the Community Forum. Congratulations on your first post 😃!

The Ignite WiFi Hub is a useful tool when it comes to pausing individual devices or user profiles.

As you may have noticed in the thread, pausing a device blocks it from accessing the Internet when connected to the home network. Pausing a device may not immediately disrupt activity in progress on that device.

Could you try replicating the issue on your device? Let us know the result.

Regards

RogersNiki

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersNiki wrote:

As you may have noticed in the thread, pausing a device blocks it from accessing the Internet when connected to the home network. Pausing a device may not immediately disrupt activity in progress on that device.

That's exactly what the Pause Devices’ WiFi Access with Ignite WiFi Hub support article says.  To expand on this, the parental controls work by the Ignite Gateway blocking DNS lookups from that device.  Pausing inhibits a device from accessing new sites and Parental Controls (in general) use this technique as a means of inhibiting attempts to access a forbidden site; it doesn't completely block access to WiFi or to the network.  That's why Parental Controls cannot disrupt activity that is currently in progress.  You can also get around parental controls by installing a VPN app, or by changing a device's MAC address thus making it look like a new device on the network that is not locked down.  In order for the Ignite Parental Controls to be effective, you also need to maintain administrative control of the devices that are connecting to the network.

byrongaum
I plan to stick around
Yeah, it's pretty brutal. iPhone seems to bypass everything.

I am having the same issue. I have paused my daughters device, yet she’s still able to use Instagram and has been on for 8 hours. When a device is paused shouldn’t that mean it doesn’t not work on your internet? Help me understand this

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Stacyking  Welcome to the Community!

The parental controls on Ignite are far from perfect.  They basically work by intercepting DNS queries from a paused device and returning an error, preventing it from initiating any new connections.  However, if you have already connected to a site, you may be able to continue using it indefinitely.  Also, if you are able to get around the DNS block, either by installing a VPN or through some other means, you can still continue to use the Internet while paused.

Unable to pause "livingroom" device:

My grandson will be on YouTube all night on my livingroom tv and I can't pause it

Hello, @marshagermaine

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how important it is to manage the WiFi network in your home to ensure younger family members are adhering to the rules regarding internet usage.

Can you let us know what type of device your grandson is using? There was a recent update to iOS which would require you to reassign any devices recently updated to iOS14 to a profile. If it has not been assigned properly then the downtime schedule rules would not apply to those devices.

We look forward to your response.

RogersTony

shelbie
I've been here awhile

i have the same issue i cant pause my sons iphone8, ive attempted everything in the above thread such as assigning it to its own profile and restarting modem and nothing works.

Hello, @shelbie

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can imagine how frustrating it was to see that your son was able to bypass the pausing feature via the WiFi Hub app. 😞

The Wi-Fi Hub app uses each device's specific mac address to block access to the internet. If the iPhone 8 was recently updated to iOS14 then it is most likely the private Wi-Fi mac address feature built into the OS that is allowing your son to bypass the pause feature. With the new iOS14, the iPhone generates a new Wi-Fi mac address, you'll need to remove and re-add his iPhone 8 to the app in order to block the new private Wi-Fi mac address.

Give this a try and let us know if it is now working as expected.

RogersTony

byrongaum
I plan to stick around
She may have downloaded videos on Netflix. It allows you to watch them offline.

I set up a profile to pause the tv during the day. My app pauses some of the devices but not the Rogers box. I want to turn off access to the Rogers box (cable, YouTube) during set hours.

Hello, @Kayle19

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your inquiry. I know how important it is to effectively control your TV system at home. The best way to set up a day or time lock for the Ignite TV box is directly in the settings of the box in question.

Go into the Settings, then select Parental Controls, then select Day and Time Locks. From this menu, you can manage the lock schedule for your devices.

Let us know if this works for you.

RogersTony

Jpestell
I've been here awhile
I’m in the same boat, pause doesn’t work. No her iPad doesn’t have data, yes I’ve tried rebooting, making a new profile ect ect. It used to work last week, now it doesn’t. Still works for all the other kids in the house
Topic Stats