cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Fastmile 5G Gateway 3.2 with slow ethernet ports

Meo034
I plan to stick around

Why is it that Rogers is now reducing the output of their ethernet ports on their Nokia Fastmile 5G Gateway?

I used to get 100 Mbps (same as the WIFI) out of the ethernet ports but now for the past 8-10 days I am only getting 25-28 Mbps (MAX) on my laptop connected directly to the Nokia modem or my external router connected to it. Spent two hours this weekend with Rogers technical rep trying to rectify the issues and determined that it was a faulty Nokia modem. They explained that I should be getting (the same if not more) out of the ethernet ports which isn't in my case.  They sent me a replacement Nokia modem (refurbished unit - which I am not impressed) and when I connected this morning, I am still getting the same speed out of the two ethernet ports (25-28 Mbps MAX).

Did more reading on the Internet and it appears that a recent firmware to the Nokia modems might be the root cause of this issue for all of the Internet Service Providers using such modems but nobody is willing to fix it!!  

Any ideas when Rogers will fix this problem? 

A very upset customer

*Added Labels*

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Nokia Fastmile 5G Gateway 3.2 with slow ethernet ports

RogersMoin

Hello, @Meo034.

Thank you for joining our Community and sharing your concern with us.

I understand that you used to receive 100 Mbps from the ethernet ports, but recently, the speed has dropped to 25-28 Mbps. I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting this issue with our tech support. It is disappointing that the replacement modem did not resolve the issue.

We can submit a ticket to have this issue investigated. Please send @CommunityHelps a private message. We detailed more info about our private messaging in this blog

Community: Please test the speed on a wired connection(Ethernet) and share the outcome.

Regards,

RogersMoin

cooluser738
I've been around

So glad I found this post!

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me. I can connect to the Nokia wifi, and I get the 100mbps speeds but as soon as I use a LAN port, everything is capped to around 25-30mbps. Both LAN ports, doesn't matter.

Did you end up figuring this out?

I walked through Rogers support but didn't really get anywhere... it does seem to coincide with a Nokia firmware update so it seems like that must be the cause. Obviously LAN ports need to work at their correct speeds or this thing is going back...

Houlke
I've been around

LAN PORT WAY SLOWER THAN WIFI????
I'm getting the same effect the wifi is 100MBps and when I connect to the LAN Port it drops to 15-30MBps.

I phoned tech support they were nice but useless they told me to not use the LAN Port! Or that 20MBps should work for everything.  I'm in the 30-day test and it is concerning to me that there is a difference between the Wifi and the LAN port. If anything you would think the LAN port would be faster! 
Also the tech told me to take this matter up with Nokia and I said shouldn't you since its your product.  
Any answers on this would be appreciated I did see some firmware questions but ROGERS why is this happening please fix this so I don't have to send this back to you. 

Meo034
I plan to stick around

It is the recent Firmware and if you do some researches over the Internet, all ISP using the Nokia FastMile 5G Gateway modems are experiencing the exact same issues (15-30 Mbps downloads) when connecting a 3rd party WiFi network via the Ethernet Ports. They are hoping you will pay extra money to buy their Pod Extenders which aren't even available yet. Also these Pods and Nokia modem are old technology (WiFi 6) when WiFi 6E and WiFi 7 modems are available and provides you so much more flexibilities, security and control. When you talk to the Customer Service Department, they aren't willing to discuss why the recent Firmware is causing the slowdown and they keep blaming bad ethernet cables or perhaps Nokia modems. I did get a refurbished one as well as a replacement and it did not fix the issue. Looks like Rogers needs to resolve the issues with Nokia and as a customer, I shouldn't have to contact Nokia to resolve the issues! 

Meo034
I plan to stick around

Still no solutions for the slow connection via the Ethernet Ports. I doubt it will get fixed soon as they most likely want to start selling their Pod Extenders to improve the WiFi coverage. Not impressed!!

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation