cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Rogers go re-setting my gateway without permission?

darthwolf
I'm here a lot

ignite internet.

lost connection.  once i get it back up, get this email:

Sent: August 16, 2022 9:39 AM
To: ***@***.com
Subject: Ignite WiFi Hub - Your Ignite WiFi Gateway has been reset

support's response:

10:21 a.m.
Manisha
I am confirming this issue with my support team  as there is no update regarding resetting your Modem ,by the ticket management team or any other department on your account

kinda scary having a rouge tech person doing this to my account with no audit trail.
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Why does Rogers go re-setting my gateway without permission?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe a rouge tech person did NOT reset your modem something else external caused it and the tech was merely trying to fix it because he or she was alerted of it thru the remote monitoring?

I have had a situation where short flicker of my hydro off and back on caused my modem to go into some strange "stuck" state where it had lost its settings and needed to be re-initialized.

But yeah having a tech email you to let you know a ticket is open is a first for me, never seen rogers do this before, must be a new thing?

gurnblansten
I plan to stick around

I'm having the same issues and rolling brown outs are not making life with Ignite sustainable. Knocks out my 3rd party router and screws everything up. Rogers seems to want to block, inhibit using 3rd party gear and it has become increasingly frustrating since the forced migration from the Hitron to whatever Ignite uses.

@gurnblansten wrote:

I'm having the same issues and rolling brown outs are not making life with Ignite sustainable.

Which issue are you experiencing?  The Ignite gateway rebooting spontaneously (and NOT due to power issues in your area) OR that you have power issues in your area and that your local node is going down as a result?

I have the critical equipment in my home connected to a UPS, and I am fortunate that my local node has at least that much battery backup power available as well, so power outages are usually not a problem for me.  Even if the batteries in your local node are aging, I would hope that it could get the Rogers equipment in your neighbourhood through a brown-out.

Knocks out my 3rd party router and screws everything up. Rogers seems to want to block, inhibit using 3rd party gear and it has become increasingly frustrating since the forced migration from the Hitron to whatever Ignite uses.

I'm running Ignite TV over my own 3rd-party network gear; I have for years, with zero issues whatsoever.  Rogers won't officially support that configuration, but they also don't take any steps to block you from putting an Ignite gateway into Bridge Mode and using your own router.

Yes, I get cranky here, from time to time, and voice displeasure when something about the Ignite hardware or software really annoys me, but that's also to remind Rogers that there are users out there where a one-size-fits-all-solution doesn't... and I'm happy that we have options.

gurnblansten
I plan to stick around

First brown out was days after the yet to be credited outage that knocked out service in area. That was ticket because lots of router went down. This one last Saturday the Ignite Router reset and the process to get into it is annoying but got it bridged.

Aside from those issues I simply cannot power cycle gear or experience a brown out. Running on egg-shells since Ignite.

Recent brownouts, previous ones lead to 3rd party Router not routing from the Bridged Ignite box. Has valid 99.x IP but nothing connected can/browse route. Reboots don't resolve. Leads to resetting 3rd party router device and reconfiguring vast number of settings. It never faulted like this with the Hitron. Could power cycle that and have my router off for minutes, hours and simply turn back on in order - voila.

Ignite no been no joy, support agents reply "we don't really support bridging" or "It really doesn't work on Ignite boxes when bridged".

People on Start/Teksavvy don't have issues with their non wireless, bridged devices and I have lost more hours than I can recall since getting Ignite. Two different routers and same issue when power brown outs hit or you just want to power recycle gear out of habit and can't!

darthwolf
I'm here a lot
10:21 a.m.
Manisha
You will receive a call within 4 hours from supervisor.

LOL NOT!!!!  more and more lies.
Received this email:  Ignite WiFi Hub - Your Ignite WiFi Gateway has been reset - so it's not the modem resetting itself.  It's Rogers that reset it remotely.  Either a system thing or manually.

Network Settings Notification
Create your WiFi network name and password.

Your Ignite WiFi Gateway has been reset. In order to connect to your home network, you will need to create your WiFi network name and password.

You may also need to update additional settings such as parental controls and port forwards.

gurnblansten
I plan to stick around

My Server, PC's are on a UPS. Grabbing one specifically for the Rogers Ignite Box, My Asus Router and going through joy of setting that all back up because that outage will recreate the disaster of no route yet again. It's having to reconfigure a Mesh Network, mostly hardwired through house over and over due to increasing brown outs that last mere seconds yet enough to ruin a home network (Personal) that simply did not exist pre "Ignite". Even the Roger services when having an issue can lead to nightmare with router more often than not.

The Ignite box has been replaced. The primary Asus router has been replaced and swapped with another model at great expense. The common thread is Ignite. There where zero issues, no UPS prior using Hitron and basically same speed service I have now with Ignite.

@gurnblansten wrote:

The Ignite box has been replaced. The primary Asus router has been replaced and swapped with another model at great expense. The common thread is Ignite. There where zero issues, no UPS prior using Hitron and basically same speed service I have now with Ignite.

I think that this is just a coincidence.  From a technical perspective, Ignite Internet is still DOCSIS, and uses the same infrastructure in your neighbourhood as the legacy Rogers Internet service.  Some would even argue that the Broadcom chipset in the Technicolor Ignite gateways is superior to the (Intel) Puma 7 chipset that is used in the Hitron CODA, and the Arris Ignite gateways are also Puma 7-based.  Your speeds (on comparable plans) and the stability of your Internet service should not be any worse (or any better) with Ignite.

If you are running the Ignite gateway in Bridge Mode and using your own router, any IP connectivity breakage is between you and your CMTS router.  If Rogers makes certain changes to their IP network overnight, they can do things that may break your IP connectivity.  It doesn't matter whether you have Ignite Internet or the legacy Rogers Internet, there may be times when you may need to reboot your router or reset your router's WAN interface.  Rogers can reboot your modem/gateway when they perform such work but they cannot reboot your router.

I suspect that if you still had legacy Rogers Internet and your Hitron CODA modem today, you would still be experiencing these same issues.

gurnblansten
I plan to stick around

The "coincidence" of fundamentally not being able to safely reboot the Rogers Ingnite, previous or current 3rd party router to restore connections is ongoing since day 1 on Ignite. Two close friends in Tech field have ditched Rogers because Ignite simply does not play well in bridged mode with Rogers modem being used. Netgear Nightwing, Asus ROG AC5300 and RT-AX88U all have same results. Switching to Start/Teksavvy issues went away because upfront they offer bridged modems, no overhead bloat.

Takes 10 business days to switch so hopefully coordinate a weekend switch. Cost with outage, switch to Ignite equals - 4-5 network overhauls, one lost day work, second emergency trip into office plus 12 hours last weekend sorting out connectivity which never happened pre-Ignite. Been with Rogers for years but can't continue with this level of problems and certainly isn't coincidence.

@gurnblansten wrote:

The "coincidence" of fundamentally not being able to safely reboot the Rogers Ingnite, previous or current 3rd party router to restore connections is ongoing since day 1 on Ignite. Two close friends in Tech field have ditched Rogers because Ignite simply does not play well in bridged mode with Rogers modem being used. Netgear Nightwing, Asus ROG AC5300 and RT-AX88U all have same results. Switching to Start/Teksavvy issues went away because upfront they offer bridged modems, no overhead bloat.

I don't work for Rogers.  I'm also not here to irritate anybody or to defend Rogers.  I just try to help others here as best as I can.  I have been an Ignite TV customer for more than three years, and I run Ignite TV over my own network gear.  I'm pretty familiar with all the quirks of the Ignite hardware.  I'm not a fan of the (limited) "router/firewall" functionality on the Ignite gateways but they work, and they work fine in Bridge Mode.

Takes 10 business days to switch so hopefully coordinate a weekend switch. Cost with outage, switch to Ignite equals - 4-5 network overhauls, one lost day work, second emergency trip into office plus 12 hours last weekend sorting out connectivity which never happened pre-Ignite. Been with Rogers for years but can't continue with this level of problems and certainly isn't coincidence.

If you are experiencing issues with your Rogers service now, DO NOT switch to a TPIA provider.  Years ago, I used to be a Rogers Digital Cable / Rogers Internet customer.  I had zero issues with my Internet service but all sorts of problems with TV.  Bell's Internet was HORRIBLE in my area, so I then switched to a TPIA.  For the first few months, my rCable TPIA Internet service worked FLAWLESSLY.  Signal levels were great, no uncorrectable codeword errors, no problems whatsoever.  The TPIA provider's Internet service was fairly priced and fast.  Then, suddenly, overnight, my signal levels changed, the errors (across ALL channels) SKYROCKETED, and my speeds plunged.  Rogers did not care at all, would not investigate the problem and would not dispatch a tech.  The service was basically unusable.  Rogers would not respond to escalations, and absolutely refused to take any action to fix problems with their service.  It was an absolutely miserable experience.  Rogers also suddenly started sending me win-back offers; perhaps a coincidence... but also quite possibly intentional.

If you are a TPIA customer, your cables are tagged with a special tag.  If a direct Rogers customer is experiencing problems with their service, your (TPIA) connection will be the first to be fed off of a splitter or moved onto a bad tap.  If a contractor tech "accidentally" messes your service up while fixing another customer's problem, good luck getting Rogers to investigate.

You may have a great experience with Start or Teksavvy.  However, it could also turn out to be a horrific train wreck.  Have a "Plan B" in mind if your service should suddenly become unusable all of a sudden.

gurnblansten
I plan to stick around

Thanks, food for thought for sure. I briefly tried working for one of the local TPIA's and got firsthand insight into how they work and the limitations. 72 hour Tickets for their network tickets - thanks CRTC.

Been with Rogers forever but also know they and Bell have done nothing to upgrade infrastructure in this neighbourhood. Bell can't do more than 25Gbps. Tried Rogers for 1000GB when forced into Ignite. That was an abject failure. Best they do was around 768Gbps and cared little about meeting 1000GB on two dispatches with less than concerned techs. Rewired coax from NID to modem, 3 replacement modems. Went back down to 500Gbps for the package. Speed isn't the problem. I was paying for 300 on old package with Hitron getting over 500Gbps after a dispatch to fix fallen cable from pole to house. NID redone at that time as well.

Between streaming and gaming the simple aspect of powering off ISP modem, my router and restarting in proper order is a need. That just does not work 90% of the time. Turns into resetting my router, mesh unit and reconfiguring ports for gaming, static routes (takes 30-40 minutes). Needless to say firmware upgrades to router, the odd 4:00am Rogers refresh of service and I wake up to a 3 alarm fire. Simply miss pre Ignite days that ended 3-4 months ago where every 2-3 days I could reboot system with zero headaches.

My best friend with degree in Networking tried Rogers Ignite and ditched for TPIA who delivered the speed, quality of service. Experienced same weirdness with networking gear and couldn't account for settings internal to the Rogers box versus the vanilla TPIA box. Can wait for "Winbacks" as keeping cellphones with them. I might replace my entire LAN infrastructure again by that time. Maybe it'll play better but just put about $800 into gear using now that worked beautiful before the Ignite migration this summer.

@gurnblansten Again, I can't relate to any of the issues that you are seeing.

I can understand legacy Rogers Internet customers being frustrated with the switch, especially if they use their Hitron CODA in gateway mode, switch to Ignite, then find that they lose a ton of configuration options with the Ignite gateway and/or have to use a mobile app for many admin functions.  (Not a problem for non-technical folks, who enjoy the simplified, more polished experience for managing their network.)

For Bridge Mode users, who would prefer a basic, simple cable modem, with nothing to configure, the Ignite gateway will seem weird.  In Bridge Mode, the Ignite gateway still has internal services running on it and there are still some hidden WiFi networks active.  It also has internal Bluetooth LE and Zigbee radios, for IoT device connectivity, although Rogers is not currently selling any "connected home" services as of yet.  Also, Home Phone is still running as well as support for a Home Security service.  However, extra useless stuff notwithstanding, in Bridge Mode, my XB7 functions as a passive device and does not get in the way of anything that I have connected to it.  I don't use any of the value-added features that Ignite Internet offers.

Re: needing to reboot my router, I have not had to do this in years.  Ages ago, there were a few days straight where I had broken IPv6 connectivity each and every morning.  As far as I could tell, Rogers was making configuration changes and their routers basically "forgot" the IPv6 PD that they had allocated to me, and stopped routing IPv6 traffic to that destination through my router.  I reset my router's WAN6 interface, and the same IPv6 PD got delegated to me again, and everything started working again.

I have not had to reboot my router in years, not to fix any broken network connectivity anyway.  There is no reason why your Ignite gateway (in Bridge Mode) should not perform any differently that any other cable modem.

If your ASUS routers need to be rebooted on a regular basis, they may require a minor configuration change.  (Possibly due to changes that Rogers made in their network; possibly due to changes that ASUS made in their firmware.)  If you are looking for expert advice with ASUS routers, @Datalink may be able to help stabilize your setup.  If, for whatever reason, you would like to go back to using the Hitron CODA modem, you can always switch to Rogers Business Internet.  (Fido Home Internet is another option for some, but they do not sell anything faster than 100Mb/s anymore.)

Regardless of what you decide to do, I hope that your issues get straightened out.  If you want to try to get your current setup working normally, there are a number of folks here in the Community that will do their very best to help.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation