cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared external Hard drive won't work

Dunner185
I've been around

Hi all,  I have a 10 gig external hard drive I had plugged into my router with my previous internet provider.  I got Rogers ignite internet and plugged in the external hard drive and no computer can see it.  Has anyone ran into this? Any advise for making this hard drive visible on my network?? Thanks for any help?  

*Added Labels*

1 REPLY 1

Re: Shared external Hard drive won't work

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dunner185 wrote:

Hi all,  I have a 10 gig external hard drive I had plugged into my router with my previous internet provider.  I got Rogers ignite internet and plugged in the external hard drive and no computer can see it.  Has anyone ran into this? Any advise for making this hard drive visible on my network?? Thanks for any help?  

I think we need some more information.  Which service provider, what kind of router?  Was this YOUR router or did you have the storage device plugged into something like a Bell Home Hub?  Did that router need to reformat the drive after you plugged it in?

Just a guess but I suspect that your drive may be "Linux-formatted" and unreadable on a Windows system.  I'm confident that there is a way that you can access your data but you would need to use device or computer system that can "recognize" the drive and mount the file system.

Topic Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation