cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite 500u - Ethernet Switch Bottleneck

Nathaniel_A
I've been here awhile

Hey there,

I had a technician come in and setup my modem today. I've got the new rocket modem (hitron) and am getting 400+Mb down on wifi with the 5G connection on my phone and laptop, but ethernet is bottlenecked at 45Mb down on my PC.  I did some digging and found in the router settings that my switch is set to duplex / 100mb which I believe is the cause of the bottleneck. Any way for me to adjust this to obtain closer to 500Mb on my ethernet connection?

Only thing that comes to mind is upgrading the router.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Ignite 500u - Ethernet Switch Bottleneck

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Nathaniel_A,

Seeing a lower speed on a wired connection than your WiFi can certainly come as a shock. Our modems have Gigabit switches but If your seeing that your PC is only fast ethernet capable (100Mbps) then the maximum speed that will be reachable is approximately 94Mbps. This can be further reduced based on installed drivers and in a lot of cases even cut in half. Should you require a higher wired connection speed than this there are a few options including USB 3.0 to Gigabit adapters, or if you're using a desktop PC, installing a Gigabit adapter card.

RogersAndy 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Nathaniel_A,

Seeing a lower speed on a wired connection than your WiFi can certainly come as a shock. Our modems have Gigabit switches but If your seeing that your PC is only fast ethernet capable (100Mbps) then the maximum speed that will be reachable is approximately 94Mbps. This can be further reduced based on installed drivers and in a lot of cases even cut in half. Should you require a higher wired connection speed than this there are a few options including USB 3.0 to Gigabit adapters, or if you're using a desktop PC, installing a Gigabit adapter card.

RogersAndy 

Nathaniel_A
I've been here awhile

Hey Andy, thanks for the info!

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation