cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers FTTH Benefits

m4te
I plan to stick around

I read on the Rogers site that they started rolling out FTTH in May 2019. I also read somewhere that there's going to be no noticable difference from the current cable internet since it's still running on a Docsis network, and the only difference is that instead of copper wires to the home it's going to be fiber. 

Is this true? So if I'm experiencing inconsistant latency right now, especially during peek hours, getting FTTH once available isn't going to change anything?

***Edited Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Rogers FTTH Benefits

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wouldn't expect you to see any difference no matter what path to your home is in use, copper or FTTH.  As you indicated you're still running a DOCSIS network with Rogers FTTH.  The only change is the transmission media between the neighbourhood node and your home, from copper to fibre.  In the home, the fibre terminal feeds a modem via copper cable and that modem is the same as is currently used for all other copper cable installations.  Nothing different in that respect  

Re: Rogers FTTH Benefits

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@m4te wrote:

I read on the Rogers site that they started rolling out FTTH in May 2019. I also read somewhere that there's going to be no noticable difference from the current cable internet since it's still running on a Docsis network, and the only difference is that instead of copper wires to the home it's going to be fiber. 

Is this true? So if I'm experiencing inconsistant latency right now, especially during peek hours, getting FTTH once available isn't going to change anything?

***Edited Labels***

@m4te 

My current house is FTTH, there is no difference between FTTH or Coax because it is still DOCSIS. My old house was Coax and my new house FTTH, both get 900mb/s download and 30mb/s upload. I have noticed my latency has been all over the place lately too, Rogers must be doing something behind the scenes with the network. 

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation