cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROGERS Transparent DNS

sv
I'm here a lot

Rogers has started hijacking my DNS to 8.8.8.8 (Google). While the new Ignite Internet didnt allow changing the DNS servers (for a variety of reasons related to Ignite TV), I was able to have my own DNS Entries on my machines. Recently that has changed and Rogers takes all DNS queries to its own servers (Dns Leak test proves that). Has anyone seen this behaviour on their routers and machines. Is there a way for me to have my own DNS.

***EDITED LABELS***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: ROGERS Transparent DNS

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sv  One other thing to check: Is your XB6 in gateway mode and do you have either Parental Controls or Protected Browsing enabled in the Ignite WiFi Hub?  If so, then I believe that the XB6 gateway WILL intercept/redirect DNS queries so that it can check for and block access to forbidden sites.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sv  I cannot confirm this.

My XB6 gateway is in bridge mode and I currently have my own router configured to use Quad9 for DNS (not Google) and I can confirm that my DNS queries are not getting resolved by a Rogers server.  I also enabled DNS-over-HTTPS in Firefox and https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ confirms that queries from that browser were getting resolved by Cloudflare.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sv  One other thing to check: Is your XB6 in gateway mode and do you have either Parental Controls or Protected Browsing enabled in the Ignite WiFi Hub?  If so, then I believe that the XB6 gateway WILL intercept/redirect DNS queries so that it can check for and block access to forbidden sites.

sv
I'm here a lot

Good Point. Let me check that out. Now that you say it, I believe this started after I enabled 'Safe Browsing' on the app. Thanks for the hint.

sv
I'm here a lot
The Safe Browsing option in the app was the problem. When I disable it, all normalcy returned. Thanks for the hint.
Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 2 in conversation